Shellac v nail enhancement marketing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloomingnails

Reaction score
To be honest I'm a bit worried to ask this question, but I feel I need an answer!

Now I am a big fan if CND, Shellac, L&P etc... The marketing kit for Shellac has lots of good information for clients. My question is why in the Shellac marketing does it say 'no nail damage, because there are no drills or nail surface filing required'. I was taught and firmly believe that nail damage is caused with regards to enhancements by poor prep, poor aftercare and incorrect removal. With regards to 'drills', again used correctly, not a problem.

It feels a bit if a contradiction if you see what I mean.

Or am I way off the mark, have a miss understood?

Hope this makes sense.

Look forward to your thoughts.

Thanks, Lilian

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

Damage to the natural nail is also caused by using a Drill on the nail plate, aggressive buffing and filing along with improper prep, poor aftercare and improper removal.

A dril/electric file should never be used on a natural nail if used during a Enhancement service for debulking then no damage will occur.

As shellac does not require any surface buffing then what the say in the statement is correct.

Hope this helps x

Damage to the natural nail is also caused by using a Drill on the nail plate, aggressive buffing and filing along with improper prep, poor aftercare and improper removal.

A dril/electric file should never be used on a natural nail if used during a Enhancement service for debulking then no damage will occur.

As shellac does not require any surface buffing then what the say in the statement is correct.

Hope this helps x

But you could see where a regular client would get confused though surely?

A regular acrylic (L&P) client who maybe want to switch to Shellac would read this 'no surface filing required, no damage to the nail' marketing and wonder 'Have my nails been damaged during my acrylic treatments because my nails are always filed on the surface before them'

Yes WE know that we just remove shine (still surface filing though) and on enhanced nails it is just the area of growth that is filed not the whole nail, but clients do not think like us !

But you could see where a regular client would get confused though surely?

A regular acrylic (L&P) client who maybe want to switch to Shellac would read this 'no surface filing required, no damage to the nail' marketing and wonder 'Have my nails been damaged during my acrylic treatments because my nails are always filed on the surface before them'

Yes WE know that we just remove shine (still surface filing though) and on enhanced nails it is just the area of growth that is filed not the whole nail, but clients do not think like us !

Shellac has ALWAYS been marketed to the natural nail market so those people are the ones to whom those statements are aimed. Ladies with natural nails are THE target market for Shellac.

If you want to (or if an enhancement client wants to) switch to Shellac then you would explain things differntly to that client. It is quite easy to explain that removing surface shine once every three weeks on a small regrowth area only, is quite different to removing shine every 2-3 weeks on the whole nail. And whether one does do that oneself or not, there are plenty who are doing it!

If you are educating your L&P clients while doing there nails to the fact that you are not filing or even buffing the natural nail surface only removing the sine then most will understand.

Most clients I have do think like me as i have been educating them on the correct way they should be having their nails done. Just like I educat them on how they should be looking after their nails.
Personally I think that this is a very important part of my service.

Thank you ladies. I suppose it wasn't really a question more of a thought. I get that Shellac is aimed at Natural Nail clients but as Izzy said If I were trying to convert a enhancement client they might question mine and CND integrity. I'm confident in that I can correctly inform my clients and my own work and knowledge.

It was just something that worried me in terms of trying to educate the masses! I guess it still staggers me when I hear one of my contemporary's say 'Nail enhancements are no good for your nails, shellac is better etc etc. :grr: If folk in the industry cant get it right what hope is there!

Ta, Lilian

Latest posts

Back