Shellac, what are you charging now?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I charge £25 for Shellac colour or french:) x

Morning geeks..

So if you charge £25 for shellac then what are your basic manicure prices?? And what does it include?

Thanks
this is my last years price list ..i have to change it in order to get shellac and minx...
Any advice would be lovely
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1317020691.062951.jpg

Dear All... The standard price for Shellac starts at £25... That's a starting price. Anyone who is doing it cheaper (and I don't care about what area you are in)... is crazy... and I say that respectfully :D

This treatment is a high end treatment and you guys are qualified nail professionals. You simply have to STOP looking at what every Tom, **** and Harry charge and charge for your TIME, for your EXPERTISE and your TRAINING.

The Master Painter Class is brand new and will qualify any Shellac Nail Artist to become a Shellac Master which means you can charge MORE!!! I simply can't explain enough that this nit picking on price is only going to be a negative. CND has and is continuing to spend hundreds and thousands of dollars to help drive the consumer back into the salon for Shellac. The consumer EXPECTS to pay more for a premium service.

At the show I must have sent about 10 peope away from our stand, people who wanted Shellac but didn't want the lamp (even with the show deal :rolleyes:)... I was simply honest... if they weren't going to use the system professionally and properly I would prefer them NOT to use Shellac at all!! The same goes for pricing; I have no idea how person(s) could be charging £10 but I can tell you this, they are not business people nor are they making money. It is crazy and it is detrimental to the brand and to all the great Shellac nail artists who ARE charging correctly and doing a professional job.

This treatment has saved salons, has created uber successful nail artists and continues to DRIVE the consumer through the door. If it doesn't say CND on the bottle then it ain't Shellac. If you are not using the correct CND tools and products provided for you to do a great job, then you will not be able to become a Shellac Accredited Salon nor will you receive all the marketing goodies that come with that privilege ! Have pride in what you do! Stop looking at the competition and do what is expected and needed to do a great job/treatment and do it well.

Another thing, keep things simple - especially for your Service Menus!! On a personal note, I simply can't be bothered to look down a list of treatments that all sound the same but have tiny differences and yet £5/£10 price differences.

Your customer wants to see things clearly so she can make snap decisions. As to the removal of Shellac - absolutely it IS the job of the professional but you have all been asking for so long for a small consumer retail item and we will be showcasing the Remove Tube shortly for the client that goes on hols etc... this will hold a 125ml d.solve, 10 pack of CND Remover Wraps and a Pinkie SolarOil!

Climbs of soap box and goes for a coffee... :)
Hope this helped you all.. Be passionate and go for top spot... Don't be lemmings and follow the crowd - STAND OUT FOR THE RIGHT REASONS!

Last edited:
Absolutely 100% well said Mrs Geek. When our new BT starts we will be offering this service at prices CND recommend. Our salon isn't in an affluent area but my salon has standards and ethics.

from Debbie's HTC Sense

I will no longer under value my work ... I joined this industry to be the best I can at my work .. And nothing is going to stop me..
Thank you Mrs Geek..

My basic price for single colour (2 colour coats) is £20 but almost no clients have this, they mostly have layering (3 colour coats) or art which I charge more for. Last night I attended a local beuty night. I sat at my desk at 6pm and didn't look up for 4 hours! 6 sets of shellac with Konad and more clients booking for the week!

Dear All... The standard price for Shellac starts at £25... That's a starting price. Anyone who is doing it cheaper (and I don't care about what area you are in)... is crazy... And I say that respectfully :D

This treatment is a high end treatment and you guys are qualified nail professionals. You simply have to STOP Looking at what every tom, rick and Harry charge and charge for your TIME, for your expertise and your training.

The Master Painter Class is brand new and will qualify any shellac nail artist to become a master which means you can charge MORE!!! I simply cany explain enough that this nit picking on price is only going to be a negative. CND has and is continuing to spend hundreds and thousands of dollars to help drive the consumer back into the salon for Shellac. The consumer EXPECTS to pay more for a premium service.

At the show I must have sent about 10 peope away from our stand, people who wanted Shellac but didn't want the lamp (even with the show deal :rolleyes:)... I simply was honest... If they weren't going to use the system professionally and properly I would prefer them NOT to use Shellac at all... The same goes for pricing. I have no idea how person/ persons could be charging £10 but I can tell you this... They are not business people or making money. It is crazy and is detrimental to the brand plus all the great Shellac nail artists who ARE charging correctly and doing a professional job.

This treatment has saved salons, has created uber successful nail artists and continues to DRIVE the consumer thru the door. If it doesn't say CND on the bottle then it aint Shellac. If you are not using the CND tools provided for you to do a great job... Then you will not be Shellac Salon Accredited nor will you receive all the marketing goodies that come with that.

Have pride, stop looking at the competition and do what is expected and do it well. Keep things simple... Especially for your Service Menus too... Personally I simply can't be bothered to look down a list of treatments that all sound the same but have tiny differences and yet £5/£10 price differences.

Your customer wants to see things clearly so she can make snap decisions. As to remove g of Shellac... Absolutely it IS the job of the professional but you have all been asking for so long and we will be showcasing the Remove Tube shortly for the client that goes on hols etc... This will be a retail item and we have done it because so many have ask.

Climbs of soap box and goes for coffee... Hope this helped you all.. Be passionate and go for top spot... Don't be lemmings and follow the crowd.

Sam, I really wish all people would adhere to your advice, here's the latest Shellac offer on Facebook for a SALON!

:Look_righShellac Fingers £10.00 or Fingers & Toes for £14.99, this offer includes Rockstar Shellac:Look_left

I know you say it shouldn't affect our prices, but it IS affecting our business. We're constantly told not to compete and worry about what other salons charge, but if Joe Public can get a Shellac Rockstar Mani & Pedi for £15.00 then basically they will.

They don't know or probably care if me (or others) are better qualified/trained or whether we use all the CND products like Scrubfresh etc etc and to be fair we don't know that's the case anyway with the "stupid offer brigade". All the customer sees is a product and a low, low price, why would they go to another salon and pay £50.00 for a Rockstar Mani and Pedi when they can pay £14.99?

It's really is worrying to see such a fabulous product being undersold in such a MASSIVE, MASSIVE way. It's sad. :sad: Although it's brilliant the accreditation scheme is being rolled out.

May have to go to the salon to do some mystery shopping. :)

Sam, I really wish all people would adhere to your advice, here's the latest Shellac offer on Facebook for a SALON!

:Look_righShellac Fingers £10.00 or Fingers & Toes for £14.99, this offer includes Rockstar Shellac:Look_left

I know you say it shouldn't affect our prices, but it IS affecting our business. We're constantly told not to compete and worry about what other salons charge, but if Joe Public can get a Shellac Rockstar Mani & Pedi for £15.00 then basically they will.

They don't know or probably care if me (or others) are better qualified/trained or whether we use all the CND products like Scrubfresh etc etc and to be fair we don't know that's the case anyway with the "stupid offer brigade". All the customer sees is a product and a low, low price, why would they go to another salon and pay £50.00 for a Rockstar Mani and Pedi when they can pay £14.99?

It's really is worrying to see such a fabulous product being undersold in such a MASSIVE, MASSIVE way. It's sad. :sad: Although it's brilliant the accreditation scheme is being rolled out.

I had this problem last year ... Customers start to tat ... And I'm working really hard right now to set up again, now that my kids are in school...
Im going to go out of my budget and spend alot to get minx and shellac on my list But I don't want to end up with no customers because of the prices...

I hate people who do this .. :((((

Lisa I hear you :hug: I do!! But answer me this - if you hadn't seen the 'insulting to the brand stupid price' on FB... would you still be worried? Look I ask, because what is happening is that many of you are letting this type of post personally affect you where as I would say - 'how dumb is that?'

Yes 'whoever' will get 'some' people (some being the operative word) thru the door, but that certainly doens't mean you won't with your existing, higher prices!! We all 'attract' our own type of customer I think... if I saw Shellac at that price I wouldn't touch her with a barge pole! Those that ONLY WANT TO PAY CHEAP - don't care about the great job you do they just want it CHEAP - so why would you want them anyway? There are those who want to pay a premium and therefore WILL GO TO YOU because that is what you are perceived as being!

It's like discount nail enhancement salons versus salons charging £50-£60 for a full set - they will ALWAYS be there... and there will always be someone who will go for that type of environment... just as you guys at the top of your game will always have customers go to you.

Turn these 'silly' prices around and make your positive from them. You all buy from S2 for a reason and we are not the cheapest... another question is - how do you know she is really USING Shellac. I have seen numerous salons over the years (20yrs to be precise lol :rolleyes::rolleyes: ) advertise CND and yet use XYZ brand - just to get punters through the door.

This is why it is SO IMPORTANT that you guys who are doing CND treatments in a top notch way and environment, have a voice and make sure the cumsumer HEARS it so they know where to go but more importantly where NOT TO GO! Does that help? I feel I could explain what I am trying to say so much better in person! :hug:

:Love:

Can I just say.... We are PROFESSIONALS. Let's keep it that way please. A private hospital wouldn't put their prices down just because the nhs are doing it for free!! Think about it. You've all heard the horror stories of people going abroad to get boob jobs because it's cheaper and being subjected to life long pain etc. The same is happening with discount salons ruining poor people's nails who don't know any better. So charge what you're worth and what your services are worth and let's put the industry back into a professional, high earning, lovely place to work as some companies are already doing. Forget the salon down the road, they probably don't even pay their staff more than 10p a service and will go out of business soon enough and you'll still be there charging what's right and living content :)

Sorry if I've offended anyone x

Lisa I hear you :hug: I do!! But answer me this - if you hadn't seen the 'insulting to the brand stupid price' on FB... would you still be worried? Look I ask, because what is happening is that many of you are letting this type of post personally affect you where as I would say - 'how dumb is that?'

Yes 'whoever' will get 'some' people (some being the operative word) thru the door, but that certainly doens't mean you won't with your existing, higher prices!! We all 'attract' our own type of customer I think... if I saw Shellac at that price I wouldn't touch her with a barge pole! Those that ONLY WANT TO PAY CHEAP - don't care about the great job you do they just want it CHEAP - so why would you want them anyway? There are those who want to pay a premium and therefore WILL GO TO YOU because that is what you are perceived as being!

It's like discount nail enhancement salons versus salons charging £50-£60 for a full set - they will ALWAYS be there... and there will always be someone who will go for that type of environment... just as you guys at the top of your game will always have customers go to you.

Turn these 'silly' prices around and make your positive from them. You all buy from S2 for a reason and we are not the cheapest... another question is - how do you know she is really USING Shellac. I have seen numerous salons over the years (20yrs to be precise lol :rolleyes::rolleyes: ) advertise CND and yet use XYZ brand - just to get punters through the door.

This is why it is SO IMPORTANT that you guys who are doing CND treatments in a top notch way and environment, have a voice and make sure the cumsumer HEARS it so they know where to go but more importantly where NOT TO GO! Does that help? I feel I could explain what I am trying to say so much better in person! :hug:

:Love:

No I completely understand what you're saying Sam, completely but it's just annoying to see just how low salons are going with their prices. There's undercutting and there's UNDERCUTTING! :suprised:

xx

Dear All... The standard price for Shellac starts at £25... That's a starting price. Anyone who is doing it cheaper (and I don't care about what area you are in)... is crazy... and I say that respectfully :D

This treatment is a high end treatment and you guys are qualified nail professionals. You simply have to STOP looking at what every Tom, **** and Harry charge and charge for your TIME, for your EXPERTISE and your TRAINING.

The Master Painter Class is brand new and will qualify any Shellac Nail Artist to become a Shellac Master which means you can charge MORE!!! I simply can't explain enough that this nit picking on price is only going to be a negative. CND has and is continuing to spend hundreds and thousands of dollars to help drive the consumer back into the salon for Shellac. The consumer EXPECTS to pay more for a premium service.

At the show I must have sent about 10 peope away from our stand, people who wanted Shellac but didn't want the lamp (even with the show deal :rolleyes:)... I was simply honest... if they weren't going to use the system professionally and properly I would prefer them NOT to use Shellac at all!! The same goes for pricing; I have no idea how person(s) could be charging £10 but I can tell you this, they are not business people nor are they making money. It is crazy and it is detrimental to the brand and to all the great Shellac nail artists who ARE charging correctly and doing a professional job.

This treatment has saved salons, has created uber successful nail artists and continues to DRIVE the consumer through the door. If it doesn't say CND on the bottle then it ain't Shellac. If you are not using the correct CND tools and products provided for you to do a great job, then you will not be able to become a Shellac Accredited Salon nor will you receive all the marketing goodies that come with that privilege ! Have pride in what you do! Stop looking at the competition and do what is expected and needed to do a great job/treatment and do it well.

Another thing, keep things simple - especially for your Service Menus!! On a personal note, I simply can't be bothered to look down a list of treatments that all sound the same but have tiny differences and yet £5/£10 price differences.

Your customer wants to see things clearly so she can make snap decisions. As to the removal of Shellac - absolutely it IS the job of the professional but you have all been asking for so long for a small consumer retail item and we will be showcasing the Remove Tube shortly for the client that goes on hols etc... this will hold a 125ml d.solve, 10 pack of CND Remover Wraps and a Pinkie SolarOil!

Climbs of soap box and goes for a coffee... :)
Hope this helped you all.. Be passionate and go for top spot... Don't be lemmings and follow the crowd - STAND OUT FOR THE RIGHT REASONS!

My CND trainer charges a lot less than this. She told us her prices as a guide.

I get what your saying, but dont you think its maybe different for homebased to salon, i have found that it is, i have a system that seems to be working for me im homebased, one day senior citz half price and it has to be within the 4hrs specified on that day, then for the rest of the week its my full price clients, so far my whole client base has been based on referrals, my full price clients are all from referrals too, the senior citz all have family and friends and they of course are my full paying clients, as a result it is just building and building all by itself, my 4HR disc slot clients are well aware of the quality they are getting because they know what my full price is, oh ! and i didnt know what to charge for my Shellac full price when i first got it, i didnt have a clue so i made it 20, then wished i had made it more after i saw what everyone else was charging.(i wasnt on SG Then)
Anyway, the differences i was talking about between homebased and salon, is that we dont tend to have all the selling stock for a start, we dont have the salon furnature, atmopshere etc, rates wages to pay etc, and this is what clients tend to hit you with when you decide to raise your prices​

I really don't think I'd get the business charging any higher as in my area shellac is between £15-£25 and thats salons. Some people think because I'm mobile I should be charging less, which I don't agree with at all but I feel like I'm banging my head off a brick wall, I'm really struggling to get clients as my area is notrious for cheap deals & folks that want cheap not really that interested in quality, which is pants for me as my USP is all my products are the best of the best :cry: Kinda scared to do the price increase next year (thats if I'm still trading, yep that bad!)
I wish everyone using certain products had to charge a certain amount of the beauty police would shut them down..............lol xx

Anyway, the differences i was talking about between homebased and salon, is that we dont tend to have all the selling stock for a start, we dont have the salon furnature, atmopshere etc, rates wages to pay etc, and this is what clients tend to hit you with when you decide to raise your prices​

Tigan, don't forget a fair few salons operate on a rent a table/room basis so the therapist who's renting don't have all the overheads a salon owner has anyway. Also if it's the case that mobile or homebased salons charge less than salons then we're bloody doomed if there are salons offering it for a tenner! :irked: lol.

Last edited:
I really don't think I'd get the business charging any higher as in my area shellac is between £15-£25 and thats salons. Some people think because I'm mobile I should be charging less, which I don't agree with at all but I feel like I'm banging my head off a brick wall, I'm really struggling to get clients as my area is notrious for cheap deals & folks that want cheap not really that interested in quality, which is pants for me as my USP is all my products are the best of the best :cry: Kinda scared to do the price increase next year (thats if I'm still trading, yep that bad!)
I wish everyone using certain products had to charge a certain amount of the beauty police would shut them down..............lol xx

I understand what you mean lol. i'm newly qualified in nails and its hard enough starting up but its even harder when you have someone charging next to nothing for a service which its out of this world. I bet some of these ppl are not bothered if they are doing it right or wrong.
I have even gone on the Shellac course so I can give the best service.
just an idea so please no jumpimg on me lol but maybe CND could bring out what they have done for their l&p and gel
you cannot buy it until you have trained in it...:idea: so eveyone knows what CND and shellac is truly worth..priceless :hug:

my business sort of snowballed from 1 client, just one person, her friend and her friends friends etc and they all know each other if their apps are close together they sit about and chat for a while, whilst my set up is pretty good, i dont think there is any comparison to a salon's surroundings, i mean really ! you cant honestly say that salons dont have the upper hand, i think that there is only one way you can really compare to a salon when you are homebased and that is if you are a big name in your field, then it really wouldnt matter where you work from. Even renting a chair in a salon gives you an added advantage
So why d'you work in a salon when you could just work from home? well for a start you have walk in clients from the street, salon name etc, there are loads of differences, i wouldnt turn a blind eye to the obvious differences because that would be like taking a narrowminded view.
So my point is, no Salon could ever suffer because of what someone charges through their Homebased/mobile service, because its like day/night

I really shouldnt say this but, if you were the client and you were looking for a treatment what avenues would you explore mobile/homebased or salons ? answer honestly now
Salons have no threat from mobile/homebased because they are only one person and can only fit so many clients into their weekly schedule, whereas salons employ staff so they have a bigger client base more opportunity for growth and clearly a higher volume of bookings and please dont try to tell me that my little 4hr disc slot for the over 60's has slaughtered any salons takings, because i wouldnt believe you, lol,
my prices and the salons round about me are all very similar, in fact mine are alot more than a couple of them
I think if your mobile/homebased you have to do something different, because when you think about it mobile only attract people who are local to them, i know my clients all live very nearby, salons on the other hand have people come from all over to go to them

My local salon (v popular as it's in a small town) charges £20 for Shellac with file & tidy & £25 with manicure, so I've started off charging £18 for fingers & £20 for toes as I don't see how I'll get any work otherwise. :(

I'm going to phone them to see how much it is for removal & reshellac. X

Not everyone buys on price!
If that were the case then there would be no Waitrose, no M and S food hall, no Harrods, no Harvey Nicks, would there?!
Have you considered selling on quality, exclusivity, privacy etc?

I work from a home salon, on my own.
Last year my turnover was nearing the VAT threshold. There are salons not that far away from me who charge much less for similar treatments. I do not reduce my prices when I see theirs.
My clients tell me they like the privacy, my professionalism, my attention to detail, and the fact that they will not get gossiped about.

If you keep reducing your prices you will have nowhere left to go!

Perhaps you could rebrand yourselves as exclusive, luxury, premium therapists and see what happens?

Latest posts

Back