Should I be paying for this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcconnell1989

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As some of you may know i am in the process of setting up a room in a hairdressers. Work is starting in room and they are paying for it and i am busy ordering my stock and equipment (which i am paying for)

We have agreed that i can have my own phone line with seperate number as we are separate which the lady said was fine. I know i will be expected to pay the bill for the phone as its my phone but should i be paying for the line to be put in aswell????

In my opinion i shouldn't as the line is something that stays there like she is paying for the worktops etc as i can't rip them out if i leave?!

Has anyone got any advise on this? Seems she thinks i should be paying for it to be put in.

Thanks, Sarah x

Hi Hun,
Sorry but I agree that you should pay for the phone line, plus it will be a business line, with that you are contracted to 12 months, so even if you left before that time you would be liable to the full 12 months rental. I know of this as I have just closed down a business line that we no longer need. On a private line you just have to give 2 weeks notice.
Do you really need a landline ? Are you not better just having a good contract mobile line ? My mobile gives me 800 mins a month any time mobile and unlimited landline calls for £35 per month with orange.
Hope this is of some help.
Best wishes for the opening.
Lotsa luck
Love n hugs x :hug:

Does the salon have broadband? If so, then why not enquire about setting up a VOIP (Voice over IP) phone on the existing phone line? Or see if it would be cheaper to pay for broadband on the existing line and set up a Voice over IP number as opposed to a new physical line...

Is it so important to have a landline? These days mobiles are used so much. Or are you aiming to have a card machine using this line too?

Tbh i have no idea about voice over or anything like that! i've never looked into anything like this before.

No the salon doesnt have broadband. All i know is i want a seperate phone number/phone to them so my clients do not get through to the hair salon as we are going under 2 seperate names.

If people think i should pay then fair enough i just wanted to get feedback as i don't know really :)
sarah x

Is it so important to have a landline? These days mobiles are used so much. Or are you aiming to have a card machine using this line too?

Ahhh good point forgot about that, yes i am having a card machine that needs to go through a landline...
sarah x

Ahhh good point forgot about that, yes i am having a card machine that needs to go through a landline...
sarah x

Some card machines can use mobile networks though - in particular I've seen ones at restaurants and out at trade shows that are mobile...

The card machine i have already applied for has to be a landline they said for this particular one. i dont really have time to sort out another machine instead.
sarah x

when I put in my bt phone line it was free to install if I took out a 5 year contract...otherwise was going to cost about £100-£150 I think...can't quite remember.

You do need a phone line for your card machine. TBH I would have used my mobile as contact number and got a mobile card machine like they have in taxi'x these days but I appreciate you have already ordered it. You could always cancel your order and tell clients that cash or chq is prefferable until the machine arrives.

when I put in my bt phone line it was free to install if I took out a 5 year contract...otherwise was going to cost about £100-£150 I think...can't quite remember.

You do need a phone line for your card machine. TBH I would have used my mobile as contact number and got a mobile card machine like they have in taxi'x these days but I appreciate you have already ordered it. You could always cancel your order and tell clients that cash or chq is prefferable until the machine arrives.

Thanks for that, yeah thats what im going to do, take out the 5 year contract cos you can move the line if i moved to another premises before the 5 years. Thanks a lot xx

Thanks for that, yeah thats what im going to do, take out the 5 year contract cos you can move the line if i moved to another premises before the 5 years. Thanks a lot xx

Are you sure about that? Have you specifically asked the question, because BT aren't usually that helpful :lol:

Firstly I think it is better to have a landline and in my experience clients prefer this. You will always have a good signal and clients can hear you properly, also if calling from a landline it is much cheaper than phoning a mobile.

I would never have a mobile as my main salon number.

To answer your question I would probably negotiate with the salon owner over the landline installation costs. I would ask that she pays for installation as like you say you can't take it with you should you leave but you pay her a deposit of say £100 so if you do leave in the first 12 months she can use that towards the cost.

I suppose it also depends on if she is offering to take bookings for you on the salon number (this is what i currently do where i work) if she is then I would seriously consider doing this as when you are not there or in treatment they can book clients in for you.

Yes, I think that you should pay as it's of no benefit to the owners....just to you and for your business. They have a land line.

If I rent a room and I want a landline where there wasn't one, I'd expect and be happy to pay for it.

I agree that you should pay to have the landline installed. The owner is not volunteering to have it done for you. You want it done.

Think of it like this ....... if you rent a flat with a living room painted purple or red and detested this colour, you would have the option of saying to the landlord, 'do you mind if I change the wall colour to a more neutral colour?' Answer may be yes or no, but if yes, then landlord would stipulate that it be done at your expense. Same with the phone, however, nothing lost if you ask the owner if she would be willing to split the cost.

Latest posts

Back