Should I have discounted??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katykitten

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

Just really wanting all your opinions really, as I'm still in two minds of what I should have done.

I had a lady call this morning saying that she would like to book an appointment for 4 full body tans today. I said that was fine, and explained about the different types of tan we offered (manual, spray and automated booth). She then said that they would all like spray tans but due to their lunch hours could they book two appointments (one appointment as 2.30 for two tans and then another appointment at 4.30 for the other two tans) and I said that was absolutely fine. She then asked how much the tans were and I told her my usual set amount, she then asked if there was a group discount and I said that if any of them were students we were currently running a 10% Student Discount offer with a valid student card. She then said "that's great because one of the girls has a student card so we can all get it for £** each" and I said "I'm afraid not, the discount is only given to the student who has the student card"

She then said surely I could give them it for 10% off each as it was a group booking but I declined, my reasoning being that it wasn't entirely a group booking as I will only be 2 clients per appointment and if I gave all my clients 10% who came in pairs, well I wouldn't be sat in my salon right now!. She then said fine and she will look elsewhere.

After the call my mind has been wandering, I'm still 95% sure I did the right think by not discounting my treatments and don't really feel the need to as my salon is known for its good spray tans but the other 5% is thinking, should I really be quibbling about 10% on what has turned into a quiet day for me and even with the discount I'd be covering my costs plus profit, yet this wouldn't be fair on my other customers who pay full price!!

Argh!! Please put me out of my misery and let me know what you think xxx

I personally think you did the right thing hun! Although id be sat wondering the same things as you!
It sounds like they were booking together to try & get a discount, I cant beleive she said as one of them had a student card all of them could have a discount!!! lol
I'm sure no other salons would give them a discount so hopefully they are all still pale!! lol

xxx

its horrible being put on the spot like that, and well done for sticking to your guns.
cheeky mare that she is! she will have found some sap to do it though, and I bet they all complain and try and get free top ups. Then they'll go back for more treatments and demand that they are discounted.

Try not to fret about it - although I too would have argued with myself all afternoon. LOL!

well, it doesnt hurt to ask but she could have been a bit more gracious about your answer.

anyway, who knows if the two who were coming later would have turned up.
maybe that was a ploy to get you to offer a group discount.

anyway, who knows if the two who were coming later would have turned up.
maybe that was a ploy to get you to offer a group discount.
that is soooooo true!

There is no harm in asking for a discount and I would probably ask if it was for a group booking after all if you don't ask you don't get.

If I was in your situation I would probably have said that I would have given the lady booking a discount and the rest full price !

There is no harm in asking for a discount and I would probably ask if it was for a group booking after all if you don't ask you don't get.

If I was in your situation I would probably have said that I would have given the lady booking a discount and the rest full price !

I agree with the above statement. I would have given the discount but to the person doing the booking and then she could sort it out with her mates whatever way she wanted -
but I also agree with you that it was not a group booking with them coming at different times. All in all I think you done the right thing as the fact that she tried to use the student card for them all (very cheeky) and then said she would look elsewhere seems highly suspect to me.
In my opinion you done the right thing. :)

Thank you all for your replies. I have been playing it over in my mind all afternoon, but looking at the replies and speaking to a few more people I'm happy with the decision I made xx

No, screw her! shes obviously just out to get what she can for free/cheap and so isnt very likely to become a regular client! you charge your prices because thats what your service is worth, you dont just give discounts out willy nilly!
People need to do something, or be part of something to ear their discounts in my opnion, such as your client thats been coming to you for years, give her a free tan/ or 1/2 price tan as a reward!
When your training a dog you dont give it a treat BEFORE its rolled over do you!
Cheeky cow, I dont know how some people have the nerve.

oh and she also sounds like the type of person who complains so she would get it even cheaper or her money back

I possibly would've offered a small discount, on the condition that the price for all four tans was paid up front and any cancellations would mean the discount was forfeited.:green:

From the client's point of view I always say if you don't ask you don't get. However from your point of view it is up to you whether you want to give a reduction or not, therefore if you don't want to then she can decide whether to go with you or not. After all if they all went into Tesco and said we're all shopping together can we get a discount I think Mr Tesco would say "are you having a giraffe!?" You stuck to your policy but lost out ... however so did she! Bit of a lose lose situation, but client's cannot be allowed to dictate how you run your business!

Latest posts

Back