Should I stay positive or cry ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayt

Reaction score
I am having my open day today, not had a single
person come in I have been here
since 1pm will be here till 9pm. I'm in a gym and just taken some time away from reception. I have had a poster up for a month post 500 leaflets and had an advert in the paper promoting my day oh dear lots of sweets and wine to drink when I get home !! Any suggestions ??

I am having my open day today, not had a single
person come in I have been here
since 1pm will be here till 9pm. I'm in a gym and just taken some time away from reception. I have had a poster up for a month post 500 leaflets and had an advert in the paper promoting my day oh dear lots of sweets and wine to drink when I get home !! Any suggestions ??

Oh no! Maybe you'll get people coming a bit later, after work time? Not sure about there, but where I am it's half term so I guess people could be busy with the kids? Fingers crossed they'll be in soon! :biggrin:

Well don't cry, that's for starters. Remember, most people are at work and I bet you get people coming through to see you after "normal" work hours - if not, then question the effectiveness of your current postion in the gym rather than questioning your abilities.

It strikes me that you are not visible enough - and most gym goers really just want to go and train and get their stuff done etc then shower and go.

What sort of set up do you have there? is it a large gym chain or an independant one?

Keep that smile on your face and think of the wine!!!:biggrin: xxx

It's half term, so it's highly unlikely you'll get the mothers in anyway... Plus it's a working day, so nobody is going to take a day off work to come and see your opening.

I suspect you'll find you get a bit of interest once work is out though, and if you don't go out into that gym and get talking to people - drag them in kicking and screaming if you have too!

Honestly though, in future plan your open days a bit better to times and days that suit the majority of people. Don't sit and cry - go and find your clients. Nobody will come to you if you seem miserable and quiet, talking and positivity is the key.

Ooo just realised you're in my town!!!

If your location doesn't work out - I may be interested in a part time beauty therapist, or possibly renting a room out! ;) You did email me ages ago, but I didn't have space... Now things are changing here (where I am) so you never know!

At any rate, I wish you tons and tons of good luck - I'm sure thing will pick up once it's gone past 5pm.

How about stopping ladies and saying "Have you seen the salon yet? There's a free glass of wine and some sweets today so it's worth a look!" Take them there give them a glass of wine and a price list. Maybe pop onto the changing rooms and catch them as they are getting dressed then a few may come together.

I was not given any choice about the date to have my open day it had to
fit in with the gym schedule, I totally forgot about it being half term. I am moving about the gym and talking to people as they come out if glasses and I'm going to see if I can get some where visible take my massage chair and do some 5 min freebies thanks for letting me know you are put there

Get out there drag them up to the salon!

This is exactly what I would do!!

I would head out onto the street and hand out the flyers myself, telling people about the services you offer and inviting them in for a glass of bubbly.

Pop into as many local businesses as you can, including Hair Salons and offer the owners a free treatment if you have to and maybe a discount for staff.

You know yourself what you tend to do when a flyer comes though the door... be honest here, you'd chuck it straight in the bin wouldn't you?

Flyers are OK, but won't get enough people in the door in my experience and I would never go to an open day just because I saw an Ad or a flyer... I'm sorry, but I'm being totally honest here... the one thing that WOULD get me in through your door, would be a referral from a friend... I know it's catch 22 when you start out, cause how can I get that referral unless you have the clients to begin with?

I did a LOT of freebies when I started out and I was lucky to have my Beauty Salon over a Hair Salon, so I went into the Hair Salon and offered the owner a freebie and did some files and paints for clients who were having their colour done... I also handed flyers out to local Shops, but made it my business to introduce myself to the owners of the shops and had a little chat and offered them a freebie too if they would let me leave the flyers in their shop.

It took some time and I spent a lot of time playing the waiting game and eventually I became very busy and the Salon was a great success! (I think it took me a year to have a full book)

Now get out there and drag them in if you have to!! :lol: :hug:

You can do it... it will just take time, so don't get upset :hug:

Getting busy thanks ladies x

Good for you, well done and congratulations hon xx

if its any consoloation every open day I've done has been a washout.

my thoughts exactly! get out there shout about how good you are and how much they need you!!

you have to work hard to sell yourself! and if it doesnt work well this time do it again and again untill it does!!

get on facebook and undate your status every 5 seconds, go round and get peoples emails to subscribe to your newletters - then you can tell them about the next one!

do anything to get them in! sell your soul! it will pay off - even if people just come to shut you up! lol!

:biggrin:

Thanks for all your post, I ended up having a really nice day/evening I went down into the gym with a stool and got people to sit where I found them and gave them a shoulder massage. I also have a nail trainer put some nails in, I did 1 minx 1 shellac and two polish ( 1 glitter 1 polish ) and walked around and asked people to look and feel them explained the difference and benefit, I then got them to fill in a form for the raffle. I ended up with four bookings and 32 peoples details. It was great to use salon geek when there to get support from all you lovely people, my phone died in the last hour :biggrin:

Oh well done!!! There is nothing worse than feeling how you did when you first posted and you hung in there which you need to be so proud of!

Also given what we all said about half term and you doing the opening day during the week etc - Imagine what the attendance would have been like if the kids are at school and you did a sat/sun? you'd need an employee!

Well done and full marks for tenacity! Sarah xx

Glad to hear it was a good day/evening in the end!

Aww what a great positive post this turned out to be! Lovely advice from the Geeks as usual :biggrin:
Glad it turned around for you hun, best of luck for the future! xo

Thanks for all your post, I ended up having a really nice day/evening I went down into the gym with a stool and got people to sit where I found them and gave them a shoulder massage. I also have a nail trainer put some nails in, I did 1 minx 1 shellac and two polish ( 1 glitter 1 polish ) and walked around and asked people to look and feel them explained the difference and benefit, I then got them to fill in a form for the raffle. I ended up with four bookings and 32 peoples details. It was great to use salon geek when there to get support from all you lovely people, my phone died in the last hour :biggrin:

Well done... delighted to hear it was a success! :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back