Should I take bigger salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ann@vipnails

Reaction score
Hi, I am hoping for some feedback from someone in similar position. I currently have a nail bar which has been opened for 1 and a half years, the shop is very small with no facilities, i have now included beauty treatments and altered layout of shop and have basically outgrown shop, my lease is up in August and my landlord has a shop available 2 doors down, which would suit my needs perfectly. The rent is alot higher which i am trying to reduce, with the recession i am slightly apprehensive, although the business is doing well and am in second year and figures have increased! any suggestions, I have looked at all my figures and believe it is the right thing to do, can anyone be suggestive or objective, any feedback would be so appreciated, thanks annx

Hi,
I would say "go for it"
It is just natural progression, Like you said you have outgrown your shop where you are now, times perfect as your lease is going to run out soon, location couldnt be better - not going to put any of your clients out!

Goodluck trying to get the rent as low as possible on the new place, I am sure the man who owns the shops hasnt got a queue of people wanting to open shops at the moment.

Could you maybe rent out a space, room, chair, nail bar to another therapist (if you dont already do this) to help cover the increase in rent due to the bigger shop?

Goodluck - it sounds really exciting!

Emma x

Hi Good luck in the new shop if you decide you are gonna take it.. I wish It was me.. I have always wanted my own shop buy will have to settle for mobile at the moment to expensive to consider it at the moment...

You will do well as your business has expanded in the last year. xx

Hi,
I would say "go for it"
It is just natural progression, Like you said you have outgrown your shop where you are now, times perfect as your lease is going to run out soon, location couldnt be better - not going to put any of your clients out!

Goodluck trying to get the rent as low as possible on the new place, I am sure the man who owns the shops hasnt got a queue of people wanting to open shops at the moment.

Could you maybe rent out a space, room, chair, nail bar to another therapist (if you dont already do this) to help cover the increase in rent due to the bigger shop?

Goodluck - it sounds really exciting!

Emma x

hi emma, thanks so much for reply, its good to hear some feedback annx

i have been working in a salon on an employed basis for quite a few yrs now and have decided to rent a room my advice to you is that although we are in a dodgy time regarding ecconomics ask yourself if someone else comes along will you regret not giving it the chance ??? my answer was yes if your allready established you should be fine and if people see your expanding they will only see that as a good sign and should attract new clents due to that xxx good luck xxx

As Emma says, would you be able to rent a space to other therapists/techs? Are you ready to consider employing people? Is there demand for more services?

If you are fully booked all the time and turning away business that is a definite sign that there is a requirment for larger premises and more techs.

Good Luck!

Why not use some of the 'extra' space in the new salon for retailing ?
I sell handbags and candles in my small salon but I don't have much room for displays. I wish I had your problem. :rolleyes:
Clients like something to look at when they're waiting or getting their nails done.

Having worked in small spaces most of my career I always knew I wanted a larger sized premises and I've never looked back. Unlike you I dont have a established clientele but I do just fiine with what I have. I can facilitate more clients at the same time than many other places around which works in my favour when doing Bridal parties and I just call extra staff in when I need it until I'm able to have more girls.

thanks angela, i will look into retail if i get the shop x

Latest posts

Back