Should the industry be regulated?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the industry be regulated?

• Yes

Votes: 92 91.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MadisonsMummy

Reaction score
I am interested in other geeks views on this. :D

I'm all for that. Think that there are too many grey areas where training is concerned and not enough cpd required, some insurers do require so many points every few years but not all. I also think that when you qualify we should get a card that you can present to suppliers in order to buy products, something with a chip and pin system that holds your qualifications on a national database. So that joe public can't waltz into sallys and buy products/equipement intended for professional use, the building trade use something similar I think x

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

Just think how much easier it would be for us therapists who have training and insurance if there weren't so many others cheapening the industry around us without the knowledge and insurance....100% FOR regulations!

Yes, Yes , Yes. It will help sort the wheat from the chafe. Most trades I can think of have benchmark qualifications - why this industry is being degraded with 'one dayer's', messers and the like should be put an end too.

Yes, Yes , Yes. It will help sort the wheat from the chafe. Most trades I can think of have benchmark qualifications - why this industry is being degraded with 'one dayer's', messers and the like should be put an end too.

I personally don't think one day courses are a bad thing, for small treatments anyway, so long as the training provider insists upon case studies and\or assessments.
But there are some tp's that just give the input, do a bit of practical and say hey presto, you're ready for the industry. There are on the other hand some abismal therapists who have full nvq's, they can't even do a leg wax effectively.
Its up to orgs like habia and c&g to all get together and establish the requirements etc x

I'll be honest and say that I said "undecided" because in theory I would like it to be regulated for all of the reasons stated in this thread. However, I said undecided because it would depend exactly what the regulations were in terms of how different employers might want different levels of training because they might prefer to train people themselves which I think is probably a good thing. As for untrained people working mobile for example then yeah, no way, I don't think that should be allowed

i'm new and about to do my nail tech exams. i think regulation is a must just for the horror stories you hear. but i also think training needs to be looked at.

for my exam i get a pre-tipped model and i have to a blend on one finger, a sculpt on another and an infil on an another and thats it. anyone can pass that.

I personally don't think one day courses are a bad thing, for small treatments anyway, so long as the training provider insists upon case studies and\or assessments.
But there are some tp's that just give the input, do a bit of practical and say hey presto, you're ready for the industry. There are on the other hand some abismal therapists who have full nvq's, they can't even do a leg wax effectively.
Its up to orgs like habia and c&g to all get together and establish the requirements etc x

No, one day courses are not a bad thing if they are an addition to basic training. As for poor therapists being turned out following full college courses - may be the passing out crieteria is not stringent enough - but there does have to be a baseline from which to start from. One day courses to be come a professional therapist does not cut it in any shape or form.:hug:

I think there should be regulation within the industry as there are just too many "threapist/tech's" (under and unqualified)in particular who havent a clue what they are doing or the actual potential hazards they are causing to clients.
regulated training is a good idea, however i dont think there is a problem with the 1day courses for some of the treatments (spray tans and the like) but even they should be regulated.
I used to work in an opticians and the opticians and contact lens opticians had to complete several questionairs/seminars to gainthe points to keep their GOC registration every year. it helped keep them up to date with the latest news, equipment ect. but also kept their skills up to date.
Maybe something similar in our industry could be applied?

I hope i made sence, trying to type with a two year old on your knee watching dora the explorer is harder than i thought!!!:o

xxx

It makes sense to me and I agree with the comments about short courses, I did say that it was acceptable for some treatments, but not all.
Certain orgs like FHT for example require their members to acquire so many CPD points every so many years in order to continue being memebers etc and I agree with that. I have done at least 3 courses this year, personally I love doing them and would do more if finances permitted. I don't like my mind to grow stale lol x

I personally don't want regulation as there are enough expenses in running a business as it is and regulation doesn't come cheap! That said it is highly unlikely we will ever have state regulation as it is a very low risk industry compared to those that are regulated. That is why some people have started various voluntary schemes, but these all face the same issue of getting public awareness.

It makes sense to me and I agree with the comments about short courses, I did say that it was acceptable for some treatments, but not all.
Certain orgs like FHT for example require their members to acquire so many CPD points every so many years in order to continue being memebers etc and I agree with that. I have done at least 3 courses this year, personally I love doing them and would do more if finances permitted. I don't like my mind to grow stale lol x

Totally agree!!!:D
just a pitty the idea is not more wide spread!!!
you will get under/unqualified people in every industry but maybe if these were compulsory it may help weed them out!
Mind you maybe im just wishful thinking...i've been the beach today my minds gone to jelly!:o

I think 1 day courses in certain things like Spray Tan should still be allowed but have tighter entry & pass criteria

I personally don't want regulation as there are enough expenses in running a business as it is and regulation doesn't come cheap! That said it is highly unlikely we will ever have state regulation as it is a very low risk industry compared to those that are regulated. That is why some people have started various voluntary schemes, but these all face the same issue of getting public awareness.

I don't agree that we shouldn't be regulated BUT I do agree that it would be costly!

For example I can register voluntarily with IHAS for botox/fillers but it would cost me £500+ per year and what would I get?

Well I could use the IHAS logo on my website BUT most people, especially clients, have never heard if them!

Regulation is good if it is meaningful, but I'm already regulated by the nursing and midwifery council and in theory there is some regulation with your insurance because if you act outside of your policy you're not covered!

But yes, I'm for regulation if it is meaningful, protects clients AND practitioners and doesn't cost the earth. Are we gonna get that? NO!

When I was asked this question I immediately said YES. Simply because there are too many unqualified/underqualified people doing treatments.

I also think insurance should be a necessity for all therapists.

I'm all for 1 day courses for certain treatments but there def needs to be tighter entrance qualifications etc. For example lash extensions must have lash tint/lash perm.

I was completely shocked at the standard of some students on my course, I'm worried they passed but that's a different matter altogether x

When I was asked this question I immediately said YES. Simply because there are too many unqualified/underqualified people doing treatments.

Absolutely

I agree with the principle of regulating the industry, but usually this ends up in some governing body just charging extortionate rates to get therapists to pay a fee like outgoings are not ridiculous at the moment. Regulating usually ends up in the government making more money off us! I also think one day courses should be a top up for a qualified beauty therapist.

I think we should be regulated. I think we should have to show several things such as

insurance
qualifications
hygiene standards
hmrc utr tax codes

and then be granted a licence.

What there should be is clamp down on unqualified therapists, someone we can turn to to inform the authorities that someone is working in this way. now that I would happily subscribe to.

I dont however agree on the one day courses, I have been on some fantastic one day courses and some really cruddy college courses..... My one day courses at my academy are the BEST... I have students testimonials to back this up. They are not suitable for everyone, granted. But please dont diss my side of the industry, me and many many other small academies are trying our best to uphold this industry and turn out amazing therapists .

tigi

I voted no.

Not really worth it in this industry in my opinion. It wouldn't stop the idiots from working without insurance and qualifications, it'd just send them into hiding and make them harder for clients to spot. And having seen the quality of teaching my local college churns out, give me a motivated individual who's willing to learn and been on a few day courses over that any day.

And you think things are expensive now - just think how much more expensive they're going to be once it's all regulated. Everything from training, to products, to insurance, to business buying and then there'll be the annual fee for joining said regulated industry organisations...

Nope, would rather spend my money and time on improving what there is... Not being bossed about by some faceless entity.

Latest posts

Back