Side lifting - pics attached

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsAqua

Reaction score
Hi all, CND gel user - I've only been going for a couple of months and have completed around 75 sets of nails now!! Getting better, but room for improvement. I'm still having trouble with side lifting... Pretty sure prep is good and no lifting from the base of nails - doing everything by the book. Not all nails are lifting on the sides and the ones that are lifting are only on the one side! weird.... They lift after around 1 week... some ladies come back and only the centre and base of gel is attached, leading me to remove the entire gel and redo...

I'm not sure how to attache photos, but they are in my album... please have a look and let me know what you think???

Also I have some photos of my work (basic....) but would love some comments on that as well. I'm trying to apply the gel thin without making it too thin. Still need some work on my apex, but i don't think it's too bad... I'll let you be the judge :)

**link added by Bagpuss http://www.salongeek.com/album.php?albumid=943 **

cheers
Lisa

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, CND gel user - I've only been going for a couple of months and have completed around 75 sets of nails now!! Getting better, but room for improvement. I'm still having trouble with side lifting... Pretty sure prep is good and no lifting from the base of nails - doing everything by the book. Not all nails are lifting on the sides and the ones that are lifting are only on the one side! weird.... They lift after around 1 week... some ladies come back and only the centre and base of gel is attached, leading me to remove the entire gel and redo...

I'm not sure how to attache photos, but they are in my album... please have a look and let me know what you think???

Also I have some photos of my work (basic....) but would love some comments on that as well. I'm trying to apply the gel thin without making it too thin. Still need some work on my apex, but i don't think it's too bad... I'll let you be the judge :)

cheers
Lisa
I'm not sure if this would cause lifting, but they do look very thick towards the free edge. It does not look like the gel is touching the sidewalls, if anything I feel that you could possibly get closer to the sidewalls, but try to thin out over the free edge.

Are the nail plates absolutely dry and dehydrated before gel application? I used to spray with too much sanitizer, and this caused lifting.

I know side lifting has been done to death on here! but when it's happening to you it's really frustrating :) I did see a thread a while back about scrub fresh not drying so have kept an eye on that. Thanks for your reply. You could be right about the thickness, perhaps that is putting more stress on the sides.... I'll give everything a go from here! cheers :)

To me, it looks like the wrong sized tip has been used, if using tips. Also there appears to be cuticle and debris still on the nail plate.

:)Yep looks like wrong sizing with the tip to me too, Also the nails are much much too thick.
Try a bigger tip and keep the product thin as you go towards the sidewalls.

no tips used :) I'm going off now to repair the nails and will post pics again! It's confronting having your work remarked on, but good learning experience too. I forgot to mention that the hand in the pic is my right hand.... better get to it, times a wastin... :)

hi I'm not saying this is the case in this instance but at the Sydney expo I got to see Joseph aka 'The Professor' from OPI and he could tell by looking at our nails whether we were left or right handed. He said the pointer finger and the thumb tend to lift because they are the fingers that we hold our pen with to write. Apparently it puts pressure on our enhancements and leads to lifting. I found it interesting was all
Cheers
Karen

The nails are sized wrong, they do not "encapsulate" the sidewalls at all.

It's a common mistake as many techs try to make the nails look much narrower than they actually are.

When next doing nails, make sure you are sitting up straight and actually look at both sides of the nail when sizing and applying.

I've even seen some techs slide the tip from one side to the other (making it seem like it fits) when in fact it's a size too small.

You are always better to put a tip on that is larger (then file it in) rather than putting on a smaller tip. Remember, by the time you have buffed in the well area it will actually by about half a size smaller anyways.

Sorry - didnt realise initially that there were nails you have done on your own hands. Thought you had done them on a client.

I agree that the balance of thickness is too thick at the free edge so you are unbalanced which causes the stress area to be a different place than normal.

They are always more difficult to do with your non dominant hand anyway. Do you get this problem on your other hand too? Do you get this on your clients too or just your own nails?

I take it you were absolutely sure that you removed all debris and none living tissue from the side of the nails too?

no tips used

The nails are sized wrong, they do not "encapsulate" the sidewalls at all.

It's a common mistake as many techs try to make the nails look much narrower than they actually are.

When next doing nails, make sure you are sitting up straight and actually look at both sides of the nail when sizing and applying.

I've even seen some techs slide the tip from one side to the other (making it seem like it fits) when in fact it's a size too small.

You are always better to put a tip on that is larger (then file it in) rather than putting on a smaller tip. Remember, by the time you have buffed in the well area it will actually by about half a size smaller anyways.
Great advice but MsAqua did not use any tips Carl.

i also agree with the product being to thick at the free edge which means that the whole nail is unbalanced as it didnt look like you had much of an apex.
what products were you using?
was a nno or a sculpt?
was your mix ratio correct? if you were working to dry with the l&p this can cause lifting because when its to dry the l&p doesnt seal at the edges.
does this happen on all nails or just some?

I think the white may be too thick on the side walls, at the points of the smile. Then when you apply the pink it doesn't actually seal on the natural nail. I had this problem and by making sure my white stays thin on the sidewalls it fixed the problem.
hth
karen

To all the ladies that responded, thanks. I appreciate your constructive comments. I have taken all your comments and re-done the wrong hand much thinner, sticking to your good advice. I'll leave it 1 week and take another photo for viewing (before and after). Should be interesting to see what difference!

Latest posts

Back