Sidewall lifting with odyssey l&p. What am I doing wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mieke

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been sampeling odyssey´s acrylic system and really enjoy it, but i still have a few issues with it.

The nails sit well and ít is a really strong product but i do get lifting in the sidewalls now and then. I never have any problems usually so it really bothers me since i must be doing something wrong there.

My mix ratio is correct, i don´t go to close to the skin... could it be that the product is to thin there? sometimes when i file near the border of the acrylic where it goes over into the nail i can get the impression that i can actually see a slight white line appearing , less then half a millimeter. it is almoste like the filing movent loosens up this small bit. hard to explain really.
Or should i use extra pressure on the product in the sidewalls??
Has anyone experienced something similar?

I would be nice to figure out what the problem is since i really like the product.

I haven't experienced what you are talking about ... and you seem to have already listed the things you can try. You know what you are doing.

Knowing the products you have used in the past, I have to say I'm surprised that you would consider or put the effort into something that is giving you such a basic problem and then say, 'you like it'. I don't believe the product is stronger than any other L&P and I'm not sure what, 'it sits well' means. If those are the unique selling points you find in the product I'm surprised.

Hi,

I have been sampeling odyssey´s acrylic system and really enjoy it, but i still have a few issues with it.

The nails sit well and ít is a really strong product but i do get lifting in the sidewalls now and then. I never have any problems usually so it really bothers me since i must be doing something wrong there.

My mix ratio is correct, i don´t go to close to the skin... could it be that the product is to thin there? sometimes when i file near the border of the acrylic where it goes over into the nail i can get the impression that i can actually see a slight white line appearing , less then half a millimeter. it is almoste like the filing movent loosens up this small bit. hard to explain really.
Or should i use extra pressure on the product in the sidewalls??
Has anyone experienced something similar?

I would be nice to figure out what the problem is since i really like the product.

Well i like to try new products and see if there might be something out there that suits me even better. I think it would be narrow minded of me to not try different brands in an industry that evolves all the time and never stands still. If i don´t try... i don´t know.

I once asked the same question from Ons educator from Finland. (I was going for their demo night though i do not use their l&p myself.)
She sayd its either too thin (the thinner the l&p the more time it takes to cure) or the product applied is too wet. She sayd that you should notice that the natural nails are a bit pale (white) when the customer is coming to rebalance, if the product was too wet.
Those comments she sayd as general as i did not use their product.

hth :hug:

Well i like to try new products and see if there might be something out there that suits me even better. I think it would be narrow minded of me to not try different brands in an industry that evolves all the time and never stands still. If i don´t try... i don´t know.

I'm not saying don't try something new ... but why persevere if something is not performing?

You are right that the industry evolves as and when MANUFACTURERS that lead the industry and are true manufacturers (ie the ones that research and develop the new products) bring out new products ... as most nail companies are not true manufacturers it is safe to say that most products are really nothing new.

I once asked the same question from Ons educator from Finland. (I was going for their demo night though i do not use their l&p myself.)
She sayd its either too thin (the thinner the l&p the more time it takes to cure) or the product applied is too wet. She sayd that you should notice that the natural nails are a bit pale (white) when the customer is coming to rebalance, if the product was too wet.

As for this statement .. it is not correct. Thick or thin the cure time of the L&P is the same. The whole statement doesn't even make any sense. Fancy an educator saying such a thing.

Never heard this before but have to ask or itll bug me...do we know if thats a true fact?

Never heard this before but have to ask or itll bug me...do we know if thats a true fact?

I think she would be meaning that lifting appears as whiter than the part of the enhancement that is adhered to the nail. Which would be true .. it does.

Or that if the mix ratio is too wet the product will look paler in that area .. which is also true. I don't think she would mean the natural nail itself would be paler ... how would one be able to see it under the product?

I think it is a case of the poster not expressing herself clearly or 'Chinese whispers'.

I see what you mean..yes it does sound like cross-wires somewhere along the line then!

Yes i only coated the things she sayd to me. I think she meant the natural nail to be pale if i understood her right. When the client comes to rebalance then you can see the natural nails growth area and there should be pale line just close to orig. zone3. Suppose from the excess monomer used.:rolleyes:

I have heard many times people saying about different curing times with thick and thin layers of l&p. Really annoying...
How come there are educators like that who make students take the wrong facts. Are they just trying to hide the poor quality of the product behind those "statements"?

Could it be that when it happens the application has been too fast? The product is not yet ready to be filed? Could it be the bonding agent has not been dry when the products is applied? I have been wanting to post the question myself for a long time but Mieke got there first:lol:

Is it just the poor quality of the product if such a thing appears as Mieke discribed? Not a big l&p geek myself, doing more gels myself. Just took the l&p course last November. Would be great to know because i somethimes too get the same effect. When filing zone3 the products kind of peels away a bit...but i notice the application is a lot thinner when it happens.

Thanks for clearing the previous facts :hug:

Last edited:
At least it´s a relief that i am not allone on this one. But i have to say that it is hard for me to believe that this is just the way how the product acts when there are salons that function properly that only use this brand. If everyone would be experiencing this and there is no solution to it, how could the brand survive?
And i will specify why i said i liked it:
*fun and ease in workability
*it is easy to mold and pinch and holds the shape very well
*large color choice
*nice vibrant colors
*almoste impossible to get bubbels with
*nice packaging, not that important but a nice plus
*nice coverage color that can be mixed to customize
*it is a tough product when it has cured. i can file it nice and thin *to a certain point* without compromising on the strength.

These are really important aspects for me, but one of the moste important ones is that it sits flawlessly. I feel i want to push trough to get this one added to the list above but if it is just the product that can´t perform this way its is very dissapointing to say the least!! i don´t like to give up that easily unless there is no way around it.

But i have to say that it is hard for me to believe that this is just the way how the product acts when there are salons that function properly that only use this brand. If everyone would be experiencing this and there is no solution to it, how could the brand survive?

My thoughts excactly:rolleyes: Ons is a well respected company in Finland, as for their products and training. Perhaps the statments made work with their system...i must ask her to specify what she meant:lol:. I cant see no reason for her to make false statements though.

Latest posts

Back