Skin attached under free edge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrstruman

Reaction score
Hi geeks
Can anyone explain to me what this could be, I've just had a client in for overlays and she had skin growing under her free edge it was actually attached to the free edge, I've never seen this before does anyone know what it is and is there anything I can do for her she said it hurts to file the free edge so was a bit Difficult to get a nice shape, it was only on her thumb nails. Hope I've explained this clearly haha , thanks geeks xx

This sounds like Inverse Pterygium to me?

Have you got a pic?

*edit* if it is what I think it is, then enhanments are a nono.

This sounds like Inverse Pterygium to me?

Have you got a pic?

*edit* if it is what I think it is, then enhanments are a nono.
Hi no i didnt take a pic, should of really, ive just looked up inverse pterygium and it didnt look like any of the pics i saw, from what ive just read Inverse Pterygium isthe tip of the finger tip attached to the underneath of the nail (is this right), my ladies was just a flap of skin under her free edge, it could very well be what you have said though as i have no clue what so ever, thanks for your reply and advice

Hmm, Inverse Pterygium is described as and abonormal adherence of skin underneath the free edge...maybe youve caught this condition early?

I'm not entirely sure what else this could be, if it's not this.

I've not seen this on a client myself yet, i'm just going by what I was taught in training.

Supposedly hot oil manicures are helpful to this condition (if it is this).

Hmm, Inverse Pterygium is described as and abonormal adherence of skin underneath the free edge...maybe youve caught this condition early?

I'm not entirely sure what else this could be, if it's not this.

I've not seen this on a client myself yet, i'm just going by what I was taught in training.

Supposedly hot oil manicures are helpful to this condition (if it is this).
Thank you, i will advise her about the hot oil manicures, and thanks again for your advice much appreciated x

Very welcome. x

I get this when I have my nails long for a long period of time (at least 6 months). When I cut my nails short again after a couple of weeks they go 'back to normal'. It is not as extreme as is shown in the photo in that article though.

i also ment to add as Papillion has noted that the sole horn cuticle will grow more on the underside of the nail to support the extra length, it does shrink back after awile, keeping nail length reduced will help, just be mindful of it whilst filing or trimming of nails not to damage or cut it, applying solar oil several times a day will help to keep the skin moisturised (if it becomes dry as with any skin on the body it can crack and become painful) make sure she is not running nail tools or picking at the underside of her nail in an attempt to loosen it or she will be setting herself up for a whole new problem infection ect ect

Last edited:
Hi,

From what you have described, it sounds like a large hyponychium, it's the seal to the nail. Most people's cant be seen but some do have larger ones.

Gem x

Hi,

From what you have described, it sounds like a large hyponychium, it's the seal to the nail. Most people's cant be seen but some do have larger ones.

Gem x
This condition is inverse pterygium (that is the proper professional name rather than 'large hyponychium') and it can be 'mild or extreme.

You certainly can apply enhancements to nails that have inverse ptergygium and it is not a contraindication nor is it anything to be concerned about. Just be careful when filing as it can be sensitive if you file into it.

I have a client that has the very same issue and its very pronounced. She has worn enhancements for more than 20 years she says. Its like the top part of her fingertips have grown to match the nail length. If the nail is filed too close its very painful for her., its also very odd looking. She says she will never be without enhancements so all should be well.

This condition is inverse pterygium (that is the proper professional name rather than 'large hyponychium') and it can be 'mild or extreme.

You certainly can apply enhancements to nails that have inverse ptergygium and it is not a contraindication nor is it anything to be concerned about. Just be careful when filing as it can be sensitive if you file into it.

I got mixed information there about putting enhancments on people with this condition, an online article said enhancements should be removed, but looked in my CND textbook and yes enhancments are fine...

Sorry for that wrong info! Least I got the condition right :p

Thanks everyone for your replies and information links very much appreciated

I got mixed information there about putting enhancments on people with this condition, an online article said enhancements should be removed, but looked in my CND textbook and yes enhancments are fine...

Sorry for that wrong info! Least I got the condition right :p

Hey Stacey

Your just finishing CND complete so why are you reading online articles and not asking your educator about the condition. You have an amazing valuable text book there aswell so follow facts not opinions. :) ps. You will also find your educator has inverse ptergygium so have a look at her nails.

:)

Hey Stacey

Your just finishing CND complete so why are you reading online articles and not asking your educator about the condition. You have an amazing valuable text book there aswell so follow facts not opinions. :) ps. You will also find your educator has inverse ptergygium so have a look at her nails.

:)

I did look at my textbook before I replied, I also looked at afterwards hence why I apologised for saying enhancements aren't a good idea.

I didn't think reading articles and other sites for more in depth information was a bad thing so I apologise for that as well.

Didn't notice she had that condition, I shall have a look soon. :)

I did look at my textbook before I replied, I also looked at afterwards hence why I apologised for saying enhancements aren't a good idea.

I didn't think reading articles and other sites for more in depth information was a bad thing so I apologise for that as well.

Didn't notice she had that condition, I shall have a look soon. :)

There really is no need to apologise, but you will be hard pressed to find more in depth or factual information than you will find from this site and/or your CND educator, on any other site in the world!! :biggrin: and that is the truth ... Which is why salon geek is the most trusted and the largest professional web site in the world for beauty professionals. We can pat ourselves on the back for that one. X

Oh believe me geeg, if it was my client that I found this problem with..I would be going straight to my educator, no questions asked...I didn't in this scenario because it was another poster asking for help. xx

Oh believe me geeg, if it was my client that I found this problem with..I would be going straight to my educator, no questions asked...I didn't in this scenario because it was another poster asking for help. xx

And you portrayed yourself very well in your responses including dignity in accepting where your information was incorrect.

Lovely responses without mischief or malice, many geeks on other threads could learn a lesson.

xx

And you portrayed yourself very well in your responses including dignity in accepting where your information was incorrect.

Lovely responses without mischief or malice, many geeks on other threads could learn a lesson.

xx

For sure! I agree 100% Stacey acted like the pro I'm sure she will become. She was spot on about the condition and the beneficial hot oil manicures too. X

Latest posts

Back