Skin attached under free edge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found this condition extremely common in those that have MMA nails xx

It is interesting that the body's defences seem to try to compensate for the extra length,and consequent pressure, by building up a bit more of a foundation under the free edge of overly long nails . I too have seen it many times on enhancement clients ... Not usually extreme , but still it is there. Even my own nails have much longer nail beds after wearing enhancements for years than they used to have. Far from enhancements ruining my nails (as many love to claim) they have very much improved the state of them, to the point where I now no longer wear enhancements and only Shellac. :biggrin:

For sure! I agree 100% Stacey acted like the pro I'm sure she will become. She was spot on about the condition and the beneficial hot oil manicures too. X

And you portrayed yourself very well in your responses including dignity in accepting where your information was incorrect.

Lovely responses without mischief or malice, many geeks on other threads could learn a lesson.

xx

Thank you both. X

I have this on a couple of my nails, if my nail breaks I can't file my nail down short as it does hurt, I had to apply a tip to my last nail that broke for extra protection. I will see if I can take a clear picture of it.

Mine started I think as I was wearing acrylics for 2 years constant and my nails were quite long underneath.
My natural nails never grow long without any protection on them so I think when they were long it was my body's way of saying hey what's happened, lol

I have this on some of my nails with or without enhancements. It's like the skin just attaches itself to my nail if the nail grows to a free edge length xx

I think u can see it, if u look at my index finger the growth is almost as High as my free edge x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1333924990.963874.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1333924990.963874.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 370
Would using a nail brush while washing your hands help prevent this from happening?? I am a mum of young kids so regularly changing nappys and always use a nail brush.

Last edited:
I see this in a LOT of clients of African heritage. Both natural nail clients and ones who wear enhancements. They also usually have the beautiful long nail beds that are so wonderful to work with.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

It's not generally the product that causes it in these cases...

It's actually the overfiling/drilling that burns the hypernychium and fuses it to the nail plate.

This is the most common cause of severe inverse pterygium

This is just my personal experience, so I don't know if it's wrong or right and I have never had a client (yet) that suffers with this but I have and this is what I did that seemed to fix it.

I used to be a BAD nail biter and when I grew my nails out, I had 7 nails/fingers like this.
I did a warm pure olive oil soak or cuticle oil soak every 2nd night for however long it took for my skin to get really soft, then I got a soft nail brush and just gently brushed/cleaned under the nails that had the extra skin growth.
I just dipped my finger back in the oil every few stroked to keep the oil in the place I needed it and this seemed to slowly make it go back to normal.
I NEVER got a tool and pushed it back or tried to disconnect it from my nail, the above is all I ever did.
I also kept my free edge as long as I could manage to have it cause I found if it was too short, the skin would get bumped/poked etc by things and it would hurt.
It took a couple of months but eventually I noticed it was not growing attached anymore.

Like I said, I don't know how right or wrong this but it worked for me personally.

It's actually the overfiling/drilling that burns the hypernychium and fuses it to the nail plate.

I have a client (ex NSS) and her hypernychiums on most if her nails were in a dreadful state.
I got her off acrylic all together and she only wears Shellac now. We kept her nails fairly short (hypernychium allowing).
After the first few appointments she asked can I clean up under her nails??
I advised her to use a nail brush. She said her last salon would use the electric file to clean under the nails!!!!!!
I now think this caused her alot if damage, given that the hypernychium is there to protect.
It most certainly would have also introduced bacteria and/or infection!
Needless to say, 6 months down the line she has healthy strong nails now.

I get this when I have my nails long for a long period of time (at least 6 months). When I cut my nails short again after a couple of weeks they go 'back to normal'. It is not as extreme as is shown in the photo in that article though.

Me too!

Definitely agree xx

Latest posts

Back