Skin type????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABSann

Reaction score
Ok,beauty therapists,
Juliette,Bombini and I were talking earlier about skin types.Did you know that there are apparently 16 different skin types???:eek: Dr Leslie Baumann's,the skin type,book.(Juliette told me about this)

So when you are doing a facial,in our hour we have!!!!!How long does it take you to diagnose a skin type???

Do you stick to the usual,dry,oily,combi etc or do you actually manage to make TIME to really diagnose the skin???????How do you fit this in when you only have an hour allocated before the next client?

We cant add on extra time as our clients skin changes,which we all know it does,be it medication,age,illness,so...how do we adapt???
Interesting this....when we only have the hour, if working in a salon:green:

Ok,beauty therapists,
Juliette,Bombini and I were talking earlier about skin types.Did you know that there are apparently 16 different skin types???:eek: Dr Leslie Baumann's,the skin type.(Juliette told me about this)

So when you are doing a facial,in our hour we have!!!!!How long does it take you to diagnose a skin type???

Do you stick to the usual,dry,oily,combi etc or do you actually manage to make TIME to really diagnose the skin???????How do you fit this in when you only have an hour allocated before the next client?

We cant add on extra time as our clients skin changes,which we all know it does,be it medication,age,illness,so...how do we adapt???

I do try to diagnose a bit more thouroughly than just dry/oily/comb/dehydrated as the product range we use, Matis, have so many different products for different things and concerns the client has but i had no idea there were 16 skin types!!!:eek: What are they all??

Ok,beauty therapists,
Juliette,Bombini and I were talking earlier about skin types.Did you know that there are apparently 16 different skin types???:eek: Dr Leslie Baumann's,the skin type.(Juliette told me about this)

This is very interesting ... do you know the 16 different skin types then Babs? At level 2 we have only been taught the usual, dry, oily, combi etc but I would be interested to learn about the other types. I allow an hour for my facials but I often have the luxury of adding further time as I always allow time between clients for tidying up and setting up, so I can adapt my plan accordingly if necessary. :)

I do try to diagnose a bit more thouroughly than just dry/oily/comb/dehydrated as the product range we use, Matis, have so many different products for different things and concerns the client has but i had no idea there were 16 skin types!!!:eek: What are they all??

Not sure exactly yet as only ordered book today, the lady that wrote it is a dermatologist.

I will try & find link to her website, which has more details.

Well,Juliette hasn't got the book yet but as soon as she has she will be putting info on here.

The thing is,that aside,it's still hard finding time to properly diagnose a skin type in the hour that we have to do our facial.

I would be really interested in how geeks find the time to really do a thorough skin analysis in the hour????Do you find that you have to make a quicky judgement?????/

I am sure there can't be that many "skin types" as this is related to the innate structure of the skin, or am I wrong? I would agree that there could be 16 different "skin conditions" e.g dehydrated, couperose, pigmented, sensitised e.t.c. Very interested to hear more and see if this book needs to be brought for furthering my education :)

This has been updated since my last comment as suspected she is a little confused, wrinkles and pigmentation are a skin condition as a result of external influences not internal skin structure in my opinion. Once you have treated the "condition" e.g sensitisation (inflamation, erythema) you can then treat the "skin type" e.g oily (open pores excessive oil) This would be an example of someone with inflamed acneic skin, you would first need to reduce the irritation (due to external influences e.g harsh cleansing) then balance their skin.

I am sure there can't be that many "skin types" as this is related to the innate structure of the skin, or am I wrong? I would agree that there could be 16 different "skin conditions" e.g dehydrated, couperose, pigmented, sensitised e.t.c. Very interested to hear more and see if this book needs to be brought for furthering my education :)

This was what I thought to about it being conditions not types.

I can't wait for it to arrive as the website doesn't give that much away, obviously wanting you to buy the book lol

I dont know myself.I only learnt today what Bombini told me.It will be very interesting for me to understand 16 different skin types:confused:

I have enough probs trying to correctly diagnose(I'm talking PROPERLY HERE)the usual skin types here without an extra several,skin types in my hour.Some people have such a mixture it's not always easy.

Anyway,as said Juliette,willl tell all once she has the books.I for one cant wait.Thinking I may get this book myself.

Weezie,we always need to further our learning,no matter how much we think we know,I for one know that my learning in this field will never be complete.

Please see my last post as it got lost above as I typed quickly. I think there may be a problem with translation of the word "type" from American to English or otherwise surely she has it wrong?! :confused:

Well,Juliette hasn't got the book yet but as soon as she has she will be putting info on here.

The thing is,that aside,it's still hard finding time to properly diagnose a skin type in the hour that we have to do our facial.

I would be really interested in how geeks find the time to really do a thorough skin analysis in the hour????Do you find that you have to make a quicky judgement?????/

Some of our facial last an 1 1/4 hours which helps, but i just ask the client loads of questions about thier skin, IMO it's not just down to the therapist to decide what skin type the client has, they have to wear it 24/7 and they know it better than anybody, they know when it gets dry or when it gets oily, they know how much water they drink, they know how many fags they smoke and how many bottle of wine a week they get through, they know what products they use and how often etc etc. I ask all these qustions while looking at and feeling thier skin and LISTENING to the client. IMO if you don't ask the client about thier skin then you are not diagnosing them properly.

Also, Matis facials all begin with a 5 minute "welcome massage" performed on the scalp and decollote which gives me plenty of time ask the client about thier skin before i then decide which products are suitable and start the cleansing.

HTH xx

Please see my last post as it got lost above as I typed quickly. I think there may be a problem with translation of the word "type" from American to English or otherwise surely she has it wrong?! :confused:

Yes ive read it. This is why ive ordered the book. Maybe there is a problem with the translation but im still interested even if it is type or condition.

She is a dermatologist so im guessing she would probably know quite a lot about the skin.

Some of our facial last an 1 1/4 hours which helps, but i just ask the client loads of questions about thier skin, IMO it's not just down to the therapist to decide what skin type the client has, they have to wear it 24/7 and they know it better than anybody, they know when it gets dry or when it gets oily, they know how much water they drink, they know how many fags they smoke and how many bottle of wine a week they get through, they know what products they use and how often etc etc. I ask all these qustions while looking at and feeling thier skin and LISTENING to the client. IMO if you don't ask the client about thier skin then you are not diagnosing them properly.

Also, Matis facials all begin with a 5 minute "welcome massage" performed on the scalp and decollote which gives me plenty of time ask the client about thier skin before i then decide which products are suitable and start the cleansing.

HTH xx
Yes,this is how I go about my analysis.You're right clients know how their skin is...or think they do.:(

Yes,this is how I go about my analysis.You're right clients know how their skin is...or think they do.:(

i know what you mean, I hate it when a client says "my skin is really dehydrated" when in actual fact they drink plenty of water and thier skin is actually just a bit dry!!

oh well...we'd be out of a job if they knew as much as we did!!!:lol:

Haha i have this book - came with my lst lot of Amazon purchases. I think as you say it is intermingling types with conditions, I've not read it yet, but skimming through the areas seem to be ...

oily
sensitive
pigmented
wrinkled
Tight
resistant
dry
non-pigmented

and then she puts them into 16 different combinations such as
OSPW - Oily, sensitive, pigmented and wrinkled
ORNW - Oily, resistant, non-pigmented and wrinkled
DSPW - Sry, sensitive, pigmented and wrinkled.

It does seem a good book and really takes your consultation to new depths, with suggested products and treatments to use - some professional and some over the counter.

HTH

Was beginning to get totaly confused then between skin types and skin conditions. think I might have to get hold of this book Sass.

Thanks for the interesting thread!

I got the book last Feb when I was in New York, but I've only skimmed throught it. I was considering doing a new skincare questionnaire becuase of it but never got around to it. When I change my skincare range I might do it.

Haha i have this book - came with my lst lot of Amazon purchases. I think as you say it is intermingling types with conditions, I've not read it yet, but skimming through the areas seem to be ...

oily
sensitive
pigmented
wrinkled
Tight
resistant
dry
non-pigmented

and then she puts them into 16 different combinations such as
OSPW - Oily, sensitive, pigmented and wrinkled
ORNW - Oily, resistant, non-pigmented and wrinkled
DSPW - Sry, sensitive, pigmented and wrinkled.

It does seem a good book and really takes your consultation to new depths, with suggested products and treatments to use - some professional and some over the counter.

HTH
Mmmm interesting combinations there Sass,may worth getting it myself.You can never know enough eh!!!!

Latest posts

Back