So You're Bored, But What About Us??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovenails1

Reaction score
OK, so don't publicly stone me but here goes Geeks....

I'm from Australia right, so I'll speak for the Australians,

I don't know who Kerry Katona is, I'm not getting ready for Excel, I don't watch UK Big Brother, I don't watch UK Dancing on Ice, I don't get Scratch, I can't go to a Geek Meet, I often haven't got a clue about alot of Threads that have to do with the UK area.

There, I said it, so if the UK geeks are getting bored with threads etc, spare a thought for the rest of the world who may be looking.:eek:

Hows about the UK Geeks, take some time to learn about other Geek's countries and what their industry is like or what their latest trends, fashions etc are, or just ask more questions about other countries celebrated Nail Techs, mentors and success stories.

I'll start then, I want to hear from Techs in Greece about what their industry is like, is it saturated with Techs on every corner, do they have NSS yet, what quality of training is like etc.

xx

PS. I just had to add, that it's interesting that the Thread about Kerry Katonas nails has had over 1500 views and 73 replies and yet some industry related ones barely get a look in. hmmm

I am personally extremely interested in what goes on in the nail world in every country represented on this site.

I have learned a lot about the Australian and American industry, for example, from geeks informative posts. People from both countries also recommend kit and products that are unavailable to us in the UK. There are a lot of posts that will not interest you but the majority of members do seem live in or originate from the UK. Thats just the way it is.

So come on then, enlighten us further about your world.:lol::lol:

PS
Kerry Katona's nails interest me us much as they do you, I'm not going to Excel and I don't watch big brother

Thanks Adele, I know all the Geeks are interested in all things nails, I was just making a point because I've read in Journals etc, that some geeks are getting a bit bored, so thought we could try and do something about it.

My nail world is probably very much like your nail world, I would love to hear about other peoples mentors or trainers etc, because I only know what's in my city, I don't even know about other parts of Australia.

How can we learn more about things, should we have a questionnare or something?

I don't like being bored when looking through this site, and I'm sure others don't either, so what can we do.?

I don't like being bored when looking through this site, and I'm sure others don't either, so what can we do.?

Post an interesting thread and refuse to get sucked into the WI ones!!! I did this on Tuesday because I was so fed up with reading dross..... The only way to change things to to get out there and instigate change...... Maybe start a thread asking for comparisons of the nail industry from around the world - training, products etc. For example, buying Creative products is different around the world because of the difference in training......

Btw, I am going to ExCel but refuse to comment on the Kerry Katona thread out of principle!!!!

Take action, refuse apathy.....:!:

Great thread and really good idea, I must admit I look at it from a UK perspective when theres probably a lot going on of interest throughout the industry.

I do tend to think that things posted in nail geek should be of interest to geeks around the world. Talking about a celebs nails is just gossip. There's nothing wrong with these kinds of threads, but IMHO in should be chit chat.

Fab thread and the best way to make change to some of the shall we say boring threads is to create an intresting nail thread the one you suggested would be fab. So come on we are all nail techs although from different countries lets share so fab nail news.

I don't know who Kerry Katona is, I'm not getting ready for Excel, I don't watch UK Big Brother, I don't watch UK Dancing on Ice, I don't get Scratch, I can't go to a Geek Meet, I often haven't got a clue about alot of Threads that have to do with the UK area.

PS. I just had to add, that it's interesting that the Thread about Kerry Katonas nails has had over 1500 views and 73 replies and yet some industry related ones barely get a look in. hmmm
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate lol :twisted:
There's nothing stopping anybody discussing forthcoming competitions in their part of the world, the same goes for popular tv series in your country
Why not tell us about nail mags you do subscribe to, why not try and sort out a Geekmeet where you live.
Can you see where I'm coming from?

re the Kerry Katona thread, yes it was just gossip, however it was a thread that was based on opinions and those kinds of threads always have a higher response due to differing opinions, whereas Skin or Nail threads are usually fact based and nobody can argue/debate with facts so the threads tend to have less replies... however a Skin or Nail thread which is opinion based usually gets loads of views and replies.

There's nothing stopping anybody discussing forthcoming competitions in their part of the world, the same goes for popular tv series in your country
Why not tell us about nail mags you do subscribe to, why not try and sort out a Geekmeet where you live.
Gotta agree with Sandi here - I love hearing about other peoples countries and what is going on in them, but we all have to make the effort to add to the Salongeek regardless of which country we are from.

Personally I couldn't care less about Kerry Katona (although I did add a one liner about the subject) or Big Brother so I choose to either respond or not - usually not.

However, I do agree that I would like to see some more thought provoking threads! - I definitely get fed up of logging onto the site to find 800 plus posts and having to trawl through them to find something decent to read! Normally I just look at the nail section and then go to todays posts!

I too would like to see more thought provoking "reason we are here" threads and it really pains me to see the same people always posting on the juicy interesting threads which ultimately will help us become better therapists.

Being able to gossip about some celebrity nails is not going to endear ourselves to our clients but knowing the science and reasons behind our business, will.

I love to hear about what is happening in other parts of the world, in the industry - for example how old is the industry in France say - is it new or has it been going a long time.

I also feel sometimes that posters dont pay heed to the person asking the question. For example if I am in the UK and ask a question, what use is it to me to be answered with oh you can get this product at any drugstore - maybe you can in the States but things are different here, with different rules etc. I am sure this is the same the world over.

Great thread BTW.

re the Kerry Katona thread, yes it was just gossip, however it was a thread that was based on opinions and those kinds of threads always have a higher response due to differing opinions, whereas Skin or Nail threads are usually fact based and nobody can argue/debate with facts so the threads tend to have less replies... however a Skin or Nail thread which is opinion based usually gets loads of views and replies.

While I do agree with your point, Geekmeets in Australia would be pratically impossible, bcause of the distance.

I think the nearest geek to me is about 7hrs aways & then another 1 about 9hrs the other way (I think), then you've got to travel a couple days inland. We'd probably all just have to meet up in the middle of the country.:lol:

I actually find it amusing when people on here complain about having to travel in the UK. I travel 6hrs each way if want to do any training.:cry:

I read on a thread about how far to travel doing mobiles, when a geek mentioned she travels 5 miles & that covers her town & several villages:lol: I know lots of people who have to travel 2-3 times that far just to get to the shops.

I've met 2 fellow geeks & 1 at the International Beauty Expo at Sydney last
year & 1 at the Creative Roadshow. I don't see too many oportunities to meet many others in the future.

I also feel sometimes that posters dont pay heed to the person asking the question. For example if I am in the UK and ask a question, what use is it to me to be answered with oh you can get this product at any drugstore - maybe you can in the States but things are different here, with different rules etc. I am sure this is the same the world over.

Great thread BTW.
Totally agree with you here, However I have been guilty of this in the past myself! For example where people were asking about business courses and I have quoted places that, admittedly are not universal.
I do apologies for that and I will be making an effort in the future to consider all geeks around the world.

Superb thread, WAKE UP CALL!!!:lol:

Distance is a huge thing here my closest geeks would be three hours from me(nailzoo and jnail) and Beautynails was kind enough to drive 5 or so hours to come to expo last year when she was my model.So getting together would be a logistal problem but even getting to expos and trade shops can be a pain to for those who are in other states.Training can cause issues if you don't have a local distributor and more than 8 people willing to do a class. One thing that does irk me abit is the assumption that we don't have much of a product choice here(I've read comments in the past like oh I didn't know you had that there) We maybe far away but we aren't far behind.
I love this site because its given me access to heaps of info and great techs when I haven't been able to get it in my local area. I love to hear about what goes on in other areas of the world and I must admit I feel a little jealous sometimes at the ease of which you can access training but hey thats life.

I'm so glad that no-one took me the wrong way,:hug:, it's great.

I was just thinking about the DAN and Valentines Day Competitions and how many geeks took the time out to enter, it really was amazing considering how little time they had and how we all have families and jobs etc, I reckon this shows that we are still passionate about nails, which is terrific.

My step-daughter is coming to see me tomorrow, she has to interview me as part of a school project, so it got me thinking, should we have some sort of day or something where we all have to find out something about a certain geek in another part of the world, I don't know, I'm tired, so I can't think exactly what yet, but it's something to think about.

xx

I think, from my perspective, you've hit perfectly on the reason I'm bored. I don't care about Kerry Katona's (or anyone from Big Brother or whatever latest TV show there is) nails (or worse preference in breakfast food) either. I'm here for the good meaty nail topics that affect us all.

What I'd love to hear from overseas techs, is what goes on in nails in your country as a whole. What can we learn from you... and you learn from us. I've had cause to ask about for example heat conditions affecting curing in the past and had answers from Sandi and Geeg about curing in summer in Spain, where it is a few degrees higher than UK. It adds a totoally different persective to judging a product quality or problem solving.

We can also learn to 'handle' our suppliers in different ways. I 've had some issues with one supplier before now and took time to find out what they were like elsewhere....again it gave me a different perspective, and good factual info to back up my discussions with them.

So if you (not meant personally, but as a collective) want more overall and worldwide, nail or salon treatment topics, then start them too, and save us from the (personal opinion here!) drivel on the latest TV reality show, that bores the hell out the geeks that have posted their frustration in the journals. (See, we even keep that away from the forums for the most part!)

I welcome the uplift!

Great thread!!

The only way to get things done...is to get up and do it.

We need to stop moaning that we are bored...and get motivated.

I think finding out a bit more about how the industry is in all of the countries that participate on this site is a good place to start.

We have loads of Australian geeks....some more vocal then others lol!!:lol:
American, Canadian, Greek, French......some in Cyprus, the Caribbean....loads more......get posting and let us know a bit more about your industry.
Sounds like the Revolution has started!!!

Cheers Lovenails1!!

I also like to hear about the difference not just in other country's but just other areas....I am in a smallish village within a town....and I can only imagine what it must be like to work in a place like central London....busy busy I guess...but I would still would like to hear of experiences of work...types of clients you get....I always think in London its going to have busy business type ladies who do lunch..:lol:....or maybe its more or less the same wherever you are.

Are there trade shows in other country's like how we have excel ...?....have any of you been to both one here and in your home place...how do they compair...?....(maybe thats a new thread)...??

As for posts about BB and other chit chat topics....I like BB and so I will post on BB chat threads....but I don't have any experience of pets so I would'nt post on a thread about a dog/cat.....neither is wrong or right...Its just whatever interests you...what I don't like is when these sort of threads are taking over what is a nail/salon forum.

I think the reality programs threads have been very well handled recently...sticking to just 1 official thread rather than having 3-4 of the same running at the same time.

xx

Distance is a huge thing here my closest geeks would be three hours from me(nailzoo and jnail) and Beautynails was kind enough to drive 5 or so hours to come to expo last year when she was my model.
Oh I forgot about Carl (how could I ever), he's the closest to me, 5-6hrs drive.

So getting together would be a logistal problem but even getting to expos and trade shops can be a pain to for those who are in other states.
Not only the distance, but how few of them we have too.

Training can cause issues if you don't have a local distributor and more than 8 people willing to do a class.
Tell me about it. Product training is non-existant where I am.

One thing that does irk me abit is the assumption that we don't have much of a product choice here(I've read comments in the past like oh I didn't know you had that there) We maybe far away but we aren't far behind.
I love this site because its given me access to heaps of info and great techs when I haven't been able to get it in my local area. I love to hear about what goes on in other areas of the world and I must admit I feel a little jealous sometimes at the ease of which you can access training but hey thats life.
Everyone seems to have alot more access to training in the UK & it seems to be alot more affordable. I am very jealous.

I'm so glad that no-one took me the wrong way,:hug:, it's great.

I was just thinking about the DAN and Valentines Day Competitions and how many geeks took the time out to enter, it really was amazing considering how little time they had and how we all have families and jobs etc, I reckon this shows that we are still passionate about nails, which is terrific.

My step-daughter is coming to see me tomorrow, she has to interview me as part of a school project, so it got me thinking, should we have some sort of day or something where we all have to find out something about a certain geek in another part of the world, I don't know, I'm tired, so I can't think exactly what yet, but it's something to think about.

xx
We'll have to all get the thinking cap on. I'm up for anything where we learn more about nails & the industry.

Latest posts

Back