Soaking nails in a manicure?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you haven't already check out this video by Greg Salo I think I'm definately gonna adapt my manicures in this way and as he suggests as an add on to my gel polish manicures :)

http://youtu.be/KolHE-JmTVg

Thanks guys

I'm quite surprised that the technique I am learning is out of date because I am learning in a salon that is also a habia training centre and has as an assessor an author of a well known Nail tech book. I specifically chose them over a college as I thought they would be up to date with current techniques.

Sometimes I wonder if there is a point wasting time doing an NVQ when you just have to spend more money doing product training with companies. However the NVQ is a requirement for my borough so I will take all of your advice and will continue with their method and then adapt when working.

Omg I've just realised that I was writing abou pedi not mani!!! Sorry Planky!

Bad day :( x

A lot of my clients won't soak any more, they know too much these days :lol:

Now I am really confused!

I am training at the moment and we have been told to perform a manicure by first soaking in water and then file nails, apply cuticle remover, soak, apply cuticle oil then push back cuticles, apply buffing cream and buff nails, apply exfoliater, wash off, apply mask/parrafin wax and then lotion with a massage. Is this wrong? I have my assessment next week.
By the sound of it this is a manicure that has everything in it.Maybe so they can assess you in one go for each unit.This would not be a manicure that you would perform everyday in a working environment it's far too involved.

Omg I've just realised that I was writing abou pedi not mani!!! Sorry Planky!

Bad day :( x

Don't apologise, it's helped other people :hug:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

By the sound of it this is a manicure that has everything in it.Maybe so they can assess you in one go for each unit.This would not be a manicure that you would perform everyday in a working environment it's far too involved.

You are probably right. The teacher did tell us it was a luxury manicure but never mentioned that we could omit the soak for normal manicures.

You are probably right. The teacher did tell us it was a luxury manicure but never mentioned that we could omit the soak for normal manicures.

Soaking is no big deal just don't do it for ages i still like to soak.Its nice to put your fingers in a nice warm frothy manicure bowl I think people expect it but you don't soak for ages and it has your manicure soak in it if you were not supposed to do it companies wouldn't still be making it perhaps it should be called dip ;) most manicure treatments are about 30 mins or so in a salon hardly gives time for a soak anyway.if I went for a manicure I would want my nails in water at some point it's what we consider clean and refreshing.

Soaking during a manicure is what was taught at college 10 years ago so maybe out of date but i really didnt think there was an alternative way to do the cuticle work. I suppose cuticle away (which is what i use now to remove and its absolutely fantastic) is so good you wouldnt necessarily need to soak to soften cuticles. :confused:

So would u adapt by doing file, cuticle away-cuticle work, hand & arm massage, scrubfresh & paint?

Soaking during a manicure is what was taught at college 10 years ago so maybe out of date but i really didnt think there was an alternative way to do the cuticle work. I suppose cuticle away (which is what i use now to remove and its absolutely fantastic) is so good you wouldnt necessarily need to soak to soften cuticles. :confused:

So would u adapt by doing file, cuticle away-cuticle work, hand & arm massage, scrubfresh & paint?

That's what i do lovey xx

I'm so glad you have done this thread :)
All I have done is gel polish, shelkac and acrylic all at the moment with little cuticle work to be done.
I haven't done a standard manicure since I qualified.
I've got a lady this week with really bad cuticle up her nail plate and I was in two minds to soak as she just wants a manicure.
Reading all these posts I might just use CND cuticle away.
Will this do?
Im so sorry to have jumped on your thread:)

I was only taught 2 years ago and I was taught to soak.

Since learning Shellac I have adapted the no soak for all my manis, if needed I will use cuticle remover and most often I will do dry cuticle work as I am exfoliating the hands afterwards anyway......

Morning geeks

I've got a client this evening for a normal manicure, so I'm going to soak hands for a while as this is what I'd expect if I'd go to get one done. I'd feel cheated if I didn't have a soak.

I'm a bit confused as to what to charge!

I charge £20 for manicure that's with a soak. What would you all charge for cuticle tidy, file, buff & polish?

For a normal pedicure with shellac I do shellac first then soak & scrub etc.

Morning geeks

I've got a client this evening for a normal manicure, so I'm going to soak hands for a while as this is what I'd expect if I'd go to get one done. I'd feel cheated if I didn't have a soak.

I'm a bit confused as to what to charge!

I charge £20 for manicure that's with a soak. What would you all charge for cuticle tidy, file, buff & polish?

For a normal pedicure with shellac I do shellac first then soak & scrub etc.

You wouldn't feel cheated if your knowledgeable nail tech explained the reasons why. It is outdated and totally unnecessary to soak fingers prior to a manicure. The majority of clients have dry brittle nails and soaking in water makes that condition worse. Nails expand when soaked in water and as they dehydrate they return to their normal state, applying polish whilst they are still expanded makes it more likely to chip.
Soaking was taught primarily to soften cuticles and now we have amazing products to do that job more efficiently, I am not cheating my clients by using them. I also don't charge less because I don't soak as after all I am using other products to do the job.

You wouldn't feel cheated if your knowledgeable nail tech explained the reasons why. It is outdated and totally unnecessary to soak fingers prior to a manicure. The majority of clients have dry brittle nails and soaking in water makes that condition worse. Nails expand when soaked in water and as they dehydrate they return to their normal state, applying polish whilst they are still expanded makes it more likely to chip.
Soaking was taught primarily to soften cuticles and now we have amazing products to do that job more efficiently, I am not cheating my clients by using them. I also don't charge less because I don't soak as after all I am using other products to do the job.

Thank you makes a lot of sense!

So would you charge the same without a soak?

It's the first time I've been asked to do one so a bit unsure on how to tackle it.

Would it be an idea to maybe put down on my price list its a dry manicure? Or just explain to clients this is the way I do them.

During your consultation comment on her dry brittle nails, and if there is any peeling. Explain how water is the main culprit for this....dry brittle nails need oiling not watering therefore you will not be soaking her nails in water during the manicure, but using products that will soften and help remove the cuticle during the service. Also use this time to reinforce she should be wearing rubber gloves when doing dishes to help her dry brittle nails, and using a good cuticle oil, especially if you sell cuticle oil ;)

If she has fabulous strong nails with no weaknesses, dryness or peeling, then use your own judgement on whether to soak, I still wouldn't and say it was a preventative method of manicure to stop dry brittle nails....but that's just me lol :)

During your consultation comment on her dry brittle nails, and if there is any peeling. Explain how water is the main culprit for this....dry brittle nails need oiling not watering therefore you will not be soaking her nails in water during the manicure, but using products that will soften and help remove the cuticle during the service. Also use this time to reinforce she should be wearing rubber gloves when doing dishes to help her dry brittle nails, and using a good cuticle oil, especially if you sell cuticle oil ;)

If she has fabulous strong nails with no weaknesses, dryness or peeling, then use your own judgement on whether to soak, I still wouldn't and say it was a preventative method of manicure to stop dry brittle nails....but that's just me lol :)

Thank you so much for your help!😃
Feel a bit more confident telling customer no need to soak.

Glad to help...if its Cuticle Away you use then make sure you talk about what it does whilst you apply it...clients love to hear words like Sodium Hydroxide and how it is dissolving the non living tissue in a gentle yet efficient way. If not then still talk about whatever your cuticle remover does and mention It's key ingredients.
If I use CND aha remover instead I mention the alpha hydroxy acids and how it exfoliates the non living tissue loosening it prior to me using the cuticle tool.

All this will come with experience, and knowledge of your products.

Good luck :wink2:

So when would we use the CND hand soak? I hardly use it anymore but started out using it. Just don't find it necessary anymore....x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have the hand soaks also but barely use them as I do very few manicures.

My clients expect to have a soak, they don't feel it's the full treatment if they don't have it.

I'm interested to know how to make it feel like a mani without causing adhesion problems for either polish or Shellac.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back