Soaking nails in a manicure?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planky1

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a new client coming today who wants just a normal manicure.

I think the last time I did one of these was about 3 years ago! It's all been Shellac for me so far. So trying to remember my procedure and need to remember to do my hand/arm massage BEFORE painting unlike with Shellac :lol:

But my question is, those of you who still carry out 'normal' manicures, do you still soak the nails after your filing? Knowing now how soaking can cause issues with expanding and shrinking with Shellac, would it be more beneficial to leave out this step on a manicure too and just stick with usual PEP and use cuticle away?

Interested to hear your thoughts and what you do. Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I skip the soak too, instead using a masque and heated mitts :) when you explain to them why we don't soak any more they seem to understand - the nail will still absorb water and the polish will react in the same way as Shellac would so I just play it safe and avoid the water altogether.

xxx

I still soak. I trained 12 years ago and starting to think my procedures a bit dated :what:
Has anyone got any tips to help me bring my mani up to date? (sorry for hijacking thread)
Xx

Sent from my GT-S5363 using Tapatalk 2

I would like to know this too! I haven't done a full pedi in about 4 years! I have 2 girls booked next week but they then want shellac on their toes. Never thought about water and shellac! Help please! xx

I file the dry skin off on one foot and soak, do the other foot and back to the foot one- cut the nails & file, sort the cuticles out, soak again (do the other foot) then do the sugar scrub on one foot and leg and after the other one (soaking in between), then foot cream and massage on one foot (wrap in a towel) do the same thing on the 2nd foot. Then unwrap the first one, use scrub fresh to dehydrate and remove the oils from the nail plate and then you know what to do after :)

I hope I make sense :) I have customers even after 6 weeks with intact nail varnish. So it works for me x

I file the dry skin off on one foot and soak, do the other foot and back to the foot one- cut the nails & file, sort the cuticles out, soak again (do the other foot) then do the sugar scrub on one foot and leg and after the other one (soaking in between), then foot cream and massage on one foot (wrap in a towel) do the same thing on the 2nd foot. Then unwrap the first one, use scrub fresh to dehydrate and remove the oils from the nail plate and then you know what to do after :)

I hope I make sense :) I have customers even after 6 weeks with intact nail varnish. So it works for me x

Planky was asking about manicures - my pedi procedure is exactly the same as yours and I find it doesn't make a lot of difference because we don't use out feet like we use our hands! I no longer soak during manicures, but still soak during pedicures (one foot in, one foot out).

xxx

It's not so much soaking in pedicures but cleansing and deodorising ;)

I have never soaked in a manicure, it is outdated and unnecessary.
We have fabulous products now to soften and help in the removal of cuticle from the nail plate. Plonking the nails in a bowl of soapy water, just leads to the nail plate expanding, and does not do anything to the cuticle.
Then after you have do a fab paint job on the nails, they will shrink again, and the polish will chip sooner rather than later.

The majority of clients have dry brittle nails, caused by being in water too much, so soaking is the worst thing to do to them in a manicure. BUT some clients may feel you are missing a vital step out and short changing them by not soaking....talk them through your procedure, using a cuticle removing product, explain about brittle nails, and the effect water has on the nails, she will see that you are more knowledgable and better that the last tech she was at that soaked her nails. :)

Claire i do the following:

File
Shape
Cuticle Work with CA
Hand massage with moisture pack (solar oil and cuticle eraser)
Scrub Fresh
Base
Colour x2
Finish with a spray of solar speed spray

Hth x x x

I don't soak anymore, no need too really! My Reg manicure is...

File/shape
Cuticle remover/cuticle Tidy
Hand and lower arm massage
Cuticle Oil
Regular Polish

Or Shellac/ Gelish Manicure doing same as above

It's not so much soaking in pedicures but cleansing and deodorising ;)

I have never soaked in a manicure, it is outdated and unnecessary.
We have fabulous products now to soften and help in the removal of cuticle from the nail plate. Plonking the nails in a bowl of soapy water, just leads to the nail plate expanding, and does not do anything to the cuticle.
Then after you have do a fab paint job on the nails, they will shrink again, and the polish will chip sooner rather than later.

The majority of clients have dry brittle nails, caused by being in water too much, so soaking is the worst thing to do to them in a manicure. BUT some clients may feel you are missing a vital step out and short changing them by not soaking....talk them through your procedure, using a cuticle removing product, explain about brittle nails, and the effect water has on the nails, she will see that you are more knowledgable and better that the last tech she was at that soaked her nails. :)

Exactly what I thought, fabulous reply thank you Izzi. And thank you to everyone else too, you lot rock! She's just blimmin called and cancelled but at least I know for future reference now :rolleyes:

I would like to know this too! I haven't done a full pedi in about 4 years! I have 2 girls booked next week but they then want shellac on their toes. Never thought about water and shellac! Help please! xx

I have quite a few pedi clients who like a full Shellac Pedi. I do the shellac part first, so usual pep of file, cuticle tidy and paint, then do my soak/hard skin removal/scrub/mask, whatever they're having, after, this way the water and products have no effect on the Shellac. HTH :hug:

I'm learning so much from this site about different techniques & the reasoning behind them can anyone tell me how a cnd spa manicure fits Into this as surely you are soaking the nails or is it because its an oil bath ??

Can you soak in moisturizing cream or oil? Then massage, cleanse nail plate then polish?

Now I am really confused!

I am training at the moment and we have been told to perform a manicure by first soaking in water and then file nails, apply cuticle remover, soak, apply cuticle oil then push back cuticles, apply buffing cream and buff nails, apply exfoliater, wash off, apply mask/parrafin wax and then lotion with a massage. Is this wrong? I have my assessment next week.

Glamma, for the purposes of your assessment, I would use the method you've been shown. Once you are working, you can change your methods to suit you and your clients best. I was taught the same method as you and only learnt from SG how outdated it was. Good luck.

I am training at the moment and we have been told to perform a manicure by first soaking in water and then file nails, apply cuticle remover, soak, apply cuticle oil then push back cuticles, apply buffing cream and buff nails, apply exfoliater, wash off, apply mask/parrafin wax and then lotion with a massage. Is this wrong? I have my assessment next week.

This is not wrong if this is what you are being taught and you must follow this in order to pass your assessment but times have moved on and i would say this more of an old fashioned routine (one i was taught too) and when you are qualified you can do things a bit differently.

If you buy into certain manicure brands after qualifying you have the option of doing a short manicure course with them to learn about their products and how they are used.

E c

Glamma, for the purposes of your assessment, I would use the method you've been shown. Once you are working, you can change your methods to suit you and your clients best. I was taught the same method as you and only learnt from SG how outdated it was. Good luck.

I am so slow at typing! X

Do it the way you have been taught, as that is what you will need to do to pass your assessment. I was taught at college to soak too, but since I left reading sites like this I have learnt alternative ways.

As the others have said, do as you've been taught but then alter your treatment to however you want once you're qualified. We were all taught too, to soak and even cut/trim the eponychium, it's only from learning from here that we now know we shouldn't do that

If that is what you have to do to pass your assessment...the it is what you will have to do. Colleges have not updated or changed their syllabuses since dinosaurs roamed the earth ;)
However please take on board the information given on here for when you are 'out there' working in the Industry.

Sorry folks I didn't check out your posts before I said the same thing as you.....I think she will have got the message now lol........it's good when we all agree though :hug:

Latest posts

Back