Some people just CAN'T wear nails...?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Have any of you found that some people simply can NOT keep enhancements on?
NO MATTER what system you use: gel, l&p, wrap, tip-n-dip?
No matter what prep: wet, dry, no etching, with etching, primer, non-acid/protein bonder, gel bonder.

With the serial lifters I have come across, that also complained they had lift with former techs... these are the things I have found that they have in common (not necessarily all, but at least one from the list):
  • Sweaty palms
  • Use anti-depressants
  • Use thyroid medication
  • Use medication for their heart/bp.
What is it about these things that makes clients into serial lifters that can't keep enhancements longer than 48hrs before they start seeing lift?
Where the nails literally DO fall off, without leaving a single trace of torn nail plate?

What are these things doing to the nail plate or how are they changing it?

Has ANYONE found a sure-fire way guaranteed to make the nails stick to these people?

I have had two only. NOTHING I did ensured those nails stayed on, not anything... not even shellac or gelish.

Very frustrating but we explored every avenue and within a couple of hours, her nails would be off intact. Very strange!

I have 'personally' come across four that I couldn't get anything to stay put longer than 48hrs, no matter what I did or what system I tried (two of which were sweaty-palms)

Others, with lifting issues (but still manage to keep nails) often shared the above issues.

Also, some techs I know have had same problems.

It seems the same things keep cropping up.... so am wondering why??

Interesting topic I will keep my eye on this one!

I myself suffer with lifting for no apparent reason on my own nails and have no idea why this is.

Other than medication/products use, I have thought about wether it is down to the actual dimensions of my nail plate? Are the walls so deep that there is more movement etc?

I have also thought about wether it is down to natural oils that are created by the body - now I know, we dehydrate and cleanse the nail plate in order to adhere our products beautifully, but underneath, is it possible that the natural nail is still doing its thing, possibly in some cases reacting to our nail plate cleanse and doing over time to try and re moisturise itself?

I dont know, its simply trains of thought on the subject.

This is something which frustrates me no end, too, Victoria. I really don't get it and have tried hard to find a reason/s and, needless to say, nobody ever owns up to bashing/picking or anything else I ask of them. :grr:

I have one particular friend who cannot keep any system on or arrive back at my table with anything worth salvaging for a rebalance.

What really gets to me is I would have thought if anyone should lift/lose enhancements of mine .... it should be me!! I could contend that I get the worst of my work, as I'm doing it on myself. I don't, though, as I get virtually zero lifting and I simply never lose any ... never a single one ... unless you count an isolated case of catching one badly on a car door a couple of years ago.

I would love to know the answer. :irked:

I've been very fortunate and never had a client who couldn't wear any of the enhancement products that I offer.

Last edited:
Personally, I have been lucky enough not to come across anyone who really couldn't wear my nails. However, I could look through my diary for next week and I could tell you which clients will come in with breakages and which ones will not :rolleyes:

I have a client who comes to me with nails off, and no damage to the nail plate. I also do her sisters and mums nails, the sister and mum are absolutley fine, but this one does loose them, when she comes in I rebalance whats left and replace the ones that are missing. She uses stick on nails on the ones that come off inbetween apointments. She has actualy not had any full rebalances for ages. Her natural nails are very fast growing and she always has lots of cuticle back realy quickly. She also says she uses alot of body lotions..I know other geeks have said cheap body lotions and shampoos dont help. Her natural nails arent damaged or soft or thinned down, she never has split nails or flaking or anything of that nature, infact I would say her natural nails are actualy nice nails but she just cant seem to keep enhancment on well. I have discussed the losing of the nails with her, and she knows because of her mum and sister that its not me, and she isnt funny atall, she says they dont hurt when they come off and she just leaves them but if shes going out of an evening she will stick a falsie on. She also says they come off in one go, and like I said her nail plates are not flakey or anyhing...its a mystery. Shes 22 and not on any medications except the pill. xxx

My BFF cannot keep ANYTHING on her nails. She's a type II, insulin dependent diabetic, so I'm not sure if that is the problem or not. It's frustrating, for both her and I.

On the other hand, I take thyroid meds and can keep enhancements on.

HTH. :)

it's a mystery to me.
In the beginning, with these 4 odd clients... I 'thought' it was me and tried EVERYTHING under the sun and then some more... never succeeded in working it out.

Yes, some clients need prodding to own up to bashing/picking/nibbling etc.

But these 4 that I'm referring to, it really is NOT that.

There is ZERO trauma to the nail plate.

One lives not too far and I told her "come see me as soon as you see any sign of lift" (she's been to several different techs with same problem). Sure enough, next day at dinner time, phone rang and she came over. I near fell over in shock. I've never seen that much lift over a 2wk period, never mind 24hrs. CRAZINESS.
She's my friend's mom, and we've been through the ringer trying to figure it out.
She's on heart meds and menopause meds and diabetes meds....
NOTHING sticks :cry:

Victorias question really is about the rare clients who's body chemistry has been altered drastically by internal issues rather than external issues. Extreme chemical changes can happen through basic health issues, stress, diet and medication.

When I say stress, I mean real stress! Not the way everyone uses the word today.

I don't think it is a huge mystery. If the body is altered chemically internally then the nails are affected quite noticeably in sometimes a physical as well as a chemical sense ... So is the hair, the skin, the eyes. We are not doctors trained to notice all the signs but they are there.

Extreme Chemical changes in the body cause chemical incompatibility with nail products and probably other things in these peoples lives too if we delved deep enough to find out. Hence why certain clients can't wear nail products. Sometimes theses extreme changes for some are in fact normal for others ... Thank god they are the exception not the rule.

If as I suspect, Victoria, you want to know exactly what the chemical changes involved ARE that cause the incompatibility then that is one to ask Doug. Maybe something to do with altered Ph levels. Why not write and ask him?

Been lucky enough not to find a client who cant wear 'anything' yet but please post Dougs reply Victoria (dont want to bombard him with the same question) as would love to know more in-depth scientific facts :hug:

My own nails lifted during pregnancy & I still have occasional lifting but after reading this thread I maybe know why now!!! I have one client who I just can't get any system to stay on I'm going to try her with gelac as a final try & if that lifts it's back to manicures

Victorias question really is about the rare clients who's body chemistry has been altered drastically by internal issues rather than external issues. Extreme chemical changes can happen through basic health issues, stress, diet and medication.

When I say stress, I mean real stress! Not the way everyone uses the word today.

I don't think it is a huge mystery. If the body is altered chemically internally then the nails are affected quite noticeably in sometimes a physical as well as a chemical sense ... So is the hair, the skin, the eyes. We are not doctors trained to notice all the signs but they are there.

Extreme Chemical changes in the body cause chemical incompatibility with nail products and probably other things in these peoples lives too if we delved deep enough to find out. Hence why certain clients can't wear nail products. Sometimes theses extreme changes for some are in fact normal for others ... Thank god they are the exception not the rule.

If as I suspect, Victoria, you want to know exactly what the chemical changes involved ARE that cause the incompatibility then that is one to ask Doug. Maybe something to do with altered Ph levels. Why not write and ask him?

Yup, I figured it must be a 'chemistry' thing. But I thought 'maybe' one of the ladies here might know before I bombarded Doug as he seems busy with one of his vids & 3d glasses right now.

Yes, it does make sense to me that there are chemical changes because if chemical changes can cause side effects like symptoms of the illness, or adverse issues due to the medications (stomach troubles or hair falling out or whatever), then of course the nail plate MUST be changed in some way.

My 'thought' is MAYBE if it can be figured out what exactly is the common denominator with these people that causes enhancements to slide off like banana peels, perhaps companies like Ez Flow/CND etc can provide a bonder or whatnot as a 'super bonder' for those in need. Did that make any sense?

Off to drop a message to Doug now.
Thanks for understanding what I was getting at, Gigi
:hug:

I have come across two (1 is my eldest daughter, 1 salon owners daughter). Both have noticeably very clammy sweaty skin, both young 21 & 19? and no medication or stress. I have tried all sorts, double dehydrating, different systems. On both of them gel lasted longer than acrylic (apx 2 wks then more or less slid off with no damage) The system that stays put the longest is definitely Poppit type form with l&p. Only thing I can think is because it is more or less pressed onto the nail??? My eldest has given up and is going for natural painted nails at the moment, bless her. She has combination of oily nails and some with exzema on (terrible job trying to get them off those nails!) x

It is amazing sometime what can cause nails to lift, I have 1 client who no matter what I do her nails are off, as Geeg pointed out I also think ph levels are probably a good cause and hormone levels.

The most interesting 'case' I came across of nails just disapearing was my best friend, we went camping and she found out her grandad had passed away, she just broke down, cried, shook, well as anyone would when you find out a loved one passes away and her nails were off within a 6 hour period, no damage to the plate, no nothing.

Its amazing what extreme stress can do to the body!

xxx

Another thing I have had happen is anasthetic. A client had some cosmetic surgery done, and a couple days later wanted her nails back on as they were removed for the surgery, anyway with in a couple of days they were all off. I asked on here and some more experienced geeks told me about the body chemistry and anasthetic causing it. They were right, and after a couple weeks I put her nails back on, never happened again. I think its good to discuss this as it gives greater knowledge to the tech and client, so we can inform them if this happens and get the clients past the "oh they fell off for no reason" thing that can happen. Every one can spot a blagger miles off, the nail plate damage, the flaking thinning and white marks from the damage of pulling the nails off. But there is the odd occasion where the nails come off in one go, that is not the techs fault. Where as usualy when this problem arises you can assume bad prep etc when actualy there is another reason and its great to discuss it so we can deal with it, find a solution if poss, and move on, xxx

I can only speak for myself here as I'm still not doing clients (in training and too busy with other stuff ATM)

I have gel on ATM for the first time (NSI Balance) and I have been wearing it now since X-mas.
I have had no lifting problems at all for the first time ever, which made me very very happy.
But at the end of last week, start of this week, I had the most stressful times I have ever had in many many years and it altered many things in my body, my hair, my bowels:rolleyes:, my skin and also my nails, all of a sudden some of them lifted and I lost one, it just popped off!!!
Then I have my toes just painted with normal enamel and again I have had these done since X-mas, they have been perfect, no chipping, no peeling, nothing (just a bit of regrowth showing through) and again at the same time as the above is going on, I look down at my toes to see the enamel starting to peel off and lift off in places.

My life has settled down again, I have rebalanced and reapplied the lost one and all is back to normal again.

If I had not lived through this myself just this last week or so, then I wouldn't have believed it could happen like this but it sure can.
I couldn't see anything obvious that could have caused all this to occur but obviously something changed in my body while under severe stress cause I saw the signs in other parts of my body that are usually ok.

Real stress (the type that has physical signs on your body) obviously does some very nasty things to our entire body and our nails are part of our bodies to:)

Please let us know what Doug says, I'm very interested to hear what he thinks about all this.

Will keep you posted as soon as I get a reply.
I have sent him a message with my inquiry and also included a link to this thread.
Crossing fingers he has an awesome answer for us :)

One of the nurses at my doctor's practice told me that people who are on HRT or the anti cancer drug (sorry I've forgotton which one but it's the common one) find it very difficult to wear enhansments. She said that they produce more oil on the scalp as well as the nails.
I have one friend who has the HRT implant and she says the only nails she can keep on are the wraps. There aren't many techs who do those around here and even with those she has them rebalanced every week.
I would think it has something to do with eastragen levels.
Looking forward to Doug's answer:hug:

Latest posts

Back