Sorting out my hair after allergy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spriggit82

Reaction score
Hi,

Need a professionals advice. I had highlights in my hair and my friend, who was a hairdresser, was going to bleach it all over but didnt mix up the bleach properly and it bleached the roots so it was a mess.(wont be letting her near my hair again) We Decided to tint over it using a brown as a base and a red. Two days later I had a reaction and all my side of my face come up around the eye area. went to A&E and was given antihistamines and steriod tablets. They said it was contact dermatitus and Ive been advised not to dye my hair for a while (the hospital said that I should be ok to dye it at a later date, as long as the dye doesnt go on my scalp) anyways Im now left with hair with very vivid red roots, browny red hair and blonde bits coming through. Ive tried head and shoulders and clarifying shampoo to get rid of some of the dye but its not going. Im naturally a mousy brown / dark blonde. Ive been told by my boss that I need to tidy up my hair and im bridesmaid for my sisters wedding in April. Really need to have a decent hair for that and I havent a clue what to do. Any advice would be great. Many Thanks

hey hun I would go to a good salon and ask them what they could suggest as they could it in foils so that it will not be touching the scalp at all, hard to know what to do with out looking at it but a good quality salon will be able to help you and decide what to do. hope this helps xxx

Thank you. I will ring up my local salon and ask what they could do. Do you have any kind of idea how much it will cost? what with Christmas coming up want to budget as much as possible lol x Ive noticed that my hair feels very soft at the ends when I was it, kind of porous. Not sure how healty my hair is x

i dont think it will be cheap i think you will be looking at £100+ , if thats too much try a mobile hairdresser or a college( not sure about this as its very important the foils dont leak ) . you could have back to back slices in a mixture of shades all over . dont set your hopes up too high though , the colour will probably fade and take a while to settle down , but it should be much better , you will probably be advised to have a haircut as well ,for best results

Going to ask my local college and see if they can do any cheaper. Ive heard of a product from Affinage called eraser? my local salon uses it and i was wondering if it is any good? would it worth using this and then putting a tint in my natural colour over the top but get my hairdresser to put it in as slices so it doesnt touch the scalp. Going to save up to make sure ive got the pennies xx

Going to ask my local college and see if they can do any cheaper. Ive heard of a product from Affinage called eraser? my local salon uses it and i was wondering if it is any good? would it worth using this and then putting a tint in my natural colour over the top but get my hairdresser to put it in as slices so it doesnt touch the scalp. Going to save up to make sure ive got the pennies xx

Hi, it might be very wise to have some more allergy tests first ,
as this really can be life threatening :eek: its just like having an allergic reaction to a bee sting (anaphalactic shock) and can be extremely dangerous .... so please do think hard before you allow any more colour near your hair
:hug: x minky

Hi, it might be very wise to have some more allergy tests first ,
as this really can be life threatening :eek: its just like having an allergic reaction to a bee sting (anaphalactic shock) and can be extremely dangerous .... so please do think hard before you allow any more colour near your hair
:hug: x minky
I will do Minky, Just really want to get the dark red/brown colour I have in my hair and get it as close to my natural colour and then leave it. Once it is done I dont want to colour my hair anymore - dont want to risk it. The hospital said I should be ok with a tint as long at doesnt touch the scalp and I dont use the product I did before. Finding it near impossible to find a perm tint that doesnt contain php. Starting to wish Id never changed the colour in the first place....x

I agree with minky, its very risky. If youve had a reaction before your more than likely to again. you need to go to your local salon, or wherever u intend on having it done, and ask for a skin test. Then go from there. you would be best having it in foils for safety, which means you wont be able to get right onto the scalp for the roots but im sure they will do their best. I dont agree with the price range given to you, i guess it depends where u go, I work in a top market town salon and we would charge £56 for full head foil and £29.50 for cbw, although you could always go to a model night.
hth!

I will do Minky, Just really want to get the dark red/brown colour I have in my hair and get it as close to my natural colour and then leave it. Once it is done I dont want to colour my hair anymore - dont want to risk it. The hospital said I should be ok with a tint as long at doesnt touch the scalp and I dont use the product I did before. Finding it near impossible to find a perm tint that doesnt contain php. Starting to wish Id never changed the colour in the first place....x

Hi , yes It must be an absolute nightmare for you at the moment :sad: as most will contain something that may start the reaction , but just a thought ....... if you do get a test or you do have it foiled ,
perhaps you should take your antihistamines with you to take.....
or take some before hand ? best to be on the safe side :hug:

Hi , yes It must be an absolute nightmare for you at the moment :sad: as most will contain something that may start the reaction , but just a thought ....... if you do get a test or you do have it foiled ,
perhaps you should take your antihistamines with you to take.....
or take some before hand ? best to be on the safe side :hug:
I will do. Im hoping I should be ok as long as the tint doest go on my scalp. get paid fri so im gonna see if my hairdresser can do it then x

Be very careful. I had a client that even if it touch her with bleach from the brush while doing fouls she broke out. And a girl i knew had hr hair done all the time went black and ended up in the hospital infecton and all allergy towards anything BLACK. tats and all. But browns reds bleach she was ok??

Be very careful. I had a client that even if it touch her with bleach from the brush while doing fouls she broke out. And a girl i knew had hr hair done all the time went black and ended up in the hospital infecton and all allergy towards anything BLACK. tats and all. But browns reds bleach she was ok??
Its strange as Im fine with bleach and i was fine with them 10 minute loreal colour in dark brown. got it highlighted and decided to go blonde and then my 'hairdresser' mucked it up!, hence putting the red brown tint on. It was the first time I had a reaction to a dye. I just need to get this colour out, do one last dye over it to get it to my natural colour then im gonna leave my hair alone.

Do a patch test. Because if it bothers you it will be worse each time. Different brand good idea. I can not use tressa i react over my whole body. First I was just red around hairline. Next time 1 year later redness around face. 2 years after that my whole body. Never used again been about 15 years. No other brand bothers me.

Do a patch test. Because if it bothers you it will be worse each time. Different brand good idea. I can not use tressa i react over my whole body. First I was just red around hairline. Next time 1 year later redness around face. 2 years after that my whole body. Never used again been about 15 years. No other brand bothers me.
Its weird isnt it. Been colouring my hair all different colours over the years and this is the first time its ever given me any grief. Just going to stick with changing my hairstyle from now on rather than my hair colour.

Latest posts

Back