Splitting/Seperating Brush Flags?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moopie

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've searched the site but I haven't really been able to find an answer for this one already - feel free to call me out if it's already been discussed!

I used L&P and the flags of my brush keep splitting!! It's impossible to work with. I thought I may have not "trained" my brush properly or mistakenly used it in the wrong direction (i.e., flattening an oval/round in a different way than it's used to) and tried using a flatter brush, but it's STILL happening!

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong - I tried leaving it over night (w/ soap in it, even, to hold it's shape) and all seems well until I start working with it again.

I never clean it with anything except fresh monomer and sometimes soap/water. The splitting flags get L&P all up in the body of the brush leading to contamination, more cleaning, more splitting!!

Is it possible my brushes just aren't good enough quality?
If so, I suppose I'm ready to invest in a good one now - i'd just like to make sure it's the brush and not me!

How does every one else store theirs? Has anyone ever had a problem like this before?

(and yes, I've found plenty of threads on this! thnx!)

Thanks so much for any help!:hug: I'm going nuts here!

i use a brush cleanser specially for brushes i got it from NSI it works a treat but i cant say i have every experienced any splitting!!! i always make sure i squeeze my brush out flat after use, never spread the bristles just sandwich it between some kitchen roll or lint free wipes. and ideally you should store them hanging or upright with the bristles downwards this will encourage any manomer that is in your brush to draw out, and not store in the belly of your brush that will lead to contamination. also there are brush cleaning pots that hold your brush upright in the cleanser.

Also i always use a 100% kolinsky brush,

HTH XX

If you fill out your profile to indicate your training and which system you are using some one maybe able to sort you out quite quickly.

The only time my brush flags seperated during application was if I was working too dry - ie. over wiping my brush.
If you are getting product stuck up inside your brush (I've not had this) - Is it possible that you are kind of scrubbing, instead of pushing with your brush?

Can't think of anything else yet:rolleyes:

hey there.. the only times i have had my flags split is if im working dry and when i didnt get all the coating off of my brush before using it.

ive never cleaned with anything other than monomer and thats when im using it during my application wipe out at the end i have never had build up

i have the same question how are you using your brush? Do you pat and push with the edges are run the bristles into the product? There is a great series of tutorials about brush control that may help geeg is a person you wan to learn from

thanks for all the help so far..

I usually place the ball, however big or small, and let it sit for a few seconds. I pat lightly to get the product where I need it be, and then brush lightly wit hthe flags.

I would assume it's a problem with my application, but the bristles separate even before I work with product, thats why I'm wondering if it's the brush and not so much me!

For instance, If i train the brush, all is well - then I'll leave it to dry, and it's shape is great. As SOON as I put it in my dish, and push against the side to let some of the excess liquid out, it splits/separates...coming apart from the flat tip or point it had formed :irked:

as asked before, are you wiping the brush when cleaning it or scrubbing the brush when cleaning?
Other than this i am assuming you have a bad quality brush. Was it cheap?

I've been wiping but thought my problem might be contamination and did try to scub a different one. I've gone through about 3 now - they were about 25 bucks... but, they aren't reputable brand names, i.e. creative, ibd, nsi.

I suppose I should try to invest in a better (and obviously more expensive!) brush and see if my problem gets fixed. I was worried to purchase a good expensive one and have the problem be me - resulting in my ruining of the new tool too!

Does anyone know if any reputable brushes come with cases as well, this way I can be sure I'm storing it correctly once I've got it home? Thanks so much guys!

Ok here's a quick guide to brush care and what you should be doing before you go out and spend lots of money on a new one.
Dont apply product too dry
Do clean in fresh Monomer
Store upside down (brush tip pointing down towards the ground)
Clean by soaking in clean Monomer and then wiping on some paper towel (or similar) and if needed scrape any excess out using a cuticle pusher or orangewood stick. if you have hard bits soak in the monomer until they go soft and then GENTLY scrape them out on your pad.
What ever you do, do it gently and in the same direction as the bristles go ALWAYS.
If your doing all this then get a new, quality brush!

thanks for all the help so far..

I usually place the ball, however big or small, and let it sit for a few seconds. I pat lightly to get the product where I need it be, and then brush lightly wit hthe flags.

I would assume it's a problem with my application, but the bristles separate even before I work with product, thats why I'm wondering if it's the brush and not so much me!

For instance, If i train the brush, all is well - then I'll leave it to dry, and it's shape is great. As SOON as I put it in my dish, and push against the side to let some of the excess liquid out, it splits/separates...coming apart from the flat tip or point it had formed :irked:

The only time I've ever had a problem like this was when my brush was not 100% sable.......maybe you bought a brush with some synthetic hairs in it? .......check the packaging or ask about it from where you got it.......

as far as the case .....mine was from a local craft store it's just a (small,long wooden box ) like the kind you paint on.......to keep trinkets in........

I've had this problem off and on with my Creative Pro Styler. I haven't yet been able to figure it out and it's only an intermittent problem at the moment usually due a small amount of product stuck in the brush. Soaking it a bit in clean monomer usually does the trick.

I tried everything I could find from Geeg's hot water trick to Carl's soap trick. Geeg also posted some advice on training the brush differently by rotating it slightly as you work to retrain the brush to behave properly. I've had the most consistent luck with that and remembering not to work too dry. I think mine is mostly down to nerves affecting my concentration on the right bead consistentcy and making me sloppy with my brush.

S

what brush are you using? ive used some cheap emergency brushes in the past that just dont last! invest in a good one it will last longer with better application, also you will look after it twice as well because it cost more....lol...xxx

sorry , but you should never store your brush with the bristles facing downwards....or upwards etc...
only ever store it horizontally ,

and when you are cleaning your brush, make sure you do leave it to soak in monomer only, elevated off the bottom of the dish , so as not to ruin the shape (blob of blutac sticking brush to wall etc..to keep it up)
but for long enough, so as any remaining particles, ease out gently, you should'nt need to scrape them out ,
I have done this in the past (used a bit of force) and it caused my brush to go bushy :eek:
to me the splitting does sound like you have tiny particles of acrylic stuck up there somehwhere, or possibly even old dried up monomer x

May i ask what ill affects comes from storing the brush downwards?
I was taught to store it in this manner due to any liquid left in the brush wont run down into the the.............(oh dam, the name escapes me now, that'd be right) the neck of the brush and the possibility of product hardening and also contamination.
I store mine this way on occasion as this is the way i was taught so i prefer to out of habit i geuss, how ever i do store it horizontally too.

As per my education and experience, scraping product out of your brush should only ever be done extremely gently so as not to get the bushy after affects and also i have only ever done this once in the early stages of my learning, so there for it should only be done in extreme cases with extreme caution.
I'm sorry i forget to be specific at times:lol:

:green: i did it too my darling brush ended up looking like a foxes tail :green:

I belive that you store it horizonally so old product doesnt seep down into the belly ..
I actually just did a search then to find the exact reason, so I could give a concrete answer, but got carried away nosing on old threads lol
and now it is 2.14am here so My searching head is not fully on

I have found though a lot of other people have been taught to store theirs facing downwards ????
I am sticking to what I know though lol, its working well so far :lol:

actually , im gunna start a poll , as I just realised I am not actually fully aware of why lol
~*hands up and admits defeat*~
:green:​

I don't think it really matters if it's laid horizontally or with bristles down (as long as the bristle aren't touching anything & getting bent out of shape). The important thing is that monomer doesn't get trapped in the ferrule & contaminate your brush.

It does sound like you have old, dry acrylic stuck in your brush. This may be your sign that you need a new brush. I would whole heartedly recommend buying a good, 100% sable (Fairly expensive) brush next time. I'm sure you will notice a diference once you've got it trained to how you like it (I find this takes about 5 or 6 sets). xx

aaah Hu Ferrule, thats the word i wanted LOL:green:

sometimes brushes can be unruly characters ....... sometimes flag splitting can be cause by a bent hair in the middle of the brush .... if you are sure your brush is completely clean .... run a pin through the hairs to kind of comb them .... if a bent hair appears, gently separate it and pull it sideways and downward to the ferrule ... then clip it off at the base with a sharp pair of clippers .......... there may be more than one bent hair .... i've even found one doubled over ....... NEVER PULL THEM OUT ...always clip them off at the base

thanks so much everyone! you're really a lovely bunch. I am going to try all of your suggestions, and if i'm still having problems, i'll start my reading on "which brush to buy"!

thanks again!:hug::hug:

Carl--thanks for the pin idea. I'm going to try that with my old quasimoto brush and see if I can revive it.

S

Latest posts

Back