Spray tan course with body issues :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

April

Reaction score
Okay i was really excited earlier about going on the spray tan course but now i'm getting a bit nervous, its sudent doing student and i'm not wahst i used to be and 3 kids later i've gone from a nice little size 6 to a 10/12.
I know i'm probably being silly but i've been for a 3 mile run tonight and nearly killed myself lol.
Anybody got any tips on how to not be so nervous about getting down to my skimpy's :irked:

Hey Hun, it's normal to be nervous but think of it as a learning curve as some of your future clients will feel exactly the same as you are feeling now :) when I went on my course we were all larger girls except one really skinny lass and bless her by the time it came to stripping off she was more nervous! Enjoy the course and think of that fab tan x

Not really but I guess at least you will be completely aware and understanding of how your clients are going to feel!!! You can share your story with them and put them at ease.

Jacqui xx

I just dread being the biggest there. Plent of deep breaths and just do it i'm thinking.

I was nervous about doing my spray tan course because I have never had a spray tan, and even now im qualified, i have still never had one, for the very reasons your talking about.
My course was with just me and my tutor and she got a model in for me to spray, which i was so relieved about, when i told her i had never had one she said she would spray me but i still refused, me being a size 14 and having stretch marks from 3 kids and after spraying a size 8 model, there was absolutely no chance i was getting naked. she understood though and didnt pressure me.

sorry, not really being helpfull,

good luck with your course though.

Really don't worry hun. You most likely won't see any of the people on your course again! Wear some black underwear that you feel comfy in. Do you do by other treatments? I was really nervous about my Brazilian/Hollywood course but then I realised that when I'm waxing peoples bikini lines it is just skin to me! It all looks the same when you are down there!
I'm sure there will be many clients you have who will be nervous and you will be able to sympathise with them.
Don't let it interfere with your course. No one has the perfect body, no one. So just give it your best and it will be over before you know it!
Good luck and let us know how you get on
Xxx

if you don't want to strip off then you don't have to and should never ever be made to feel like you have to do that!

i trained with sienna and i didn't wanna get nekkid infront of everyone. nuh uh uh. so i spoke to them and said i'm not comfortable i'm dreading the course blah blah blah and they were fabulous about it and said they would provide me with a model, there was also another woman on the course who brought her own model too. so def get in touch with your trainer/training company and ask can you take your own model with you and explain why if you really don't want to do it.

x

Thanks for the advice, feeling slightly less nervous today and off to treat myself to some new underwear lol (big knickers). I totally agree with the waxing comments. When i'm doing bikini i really don't have a problem and the few times i've had a bikini wax it's really not been so bad.

Size 10/12 isn't even big I don't think!!
My dads girlfriend is a 12 and she is gorgeous and dresses perfectly for her shape/size :)
Although even she hasn't had a spray tan and my dad thinks it's for the same reason your saying!!
I recently posted a thread asking about this sort of thing actually x
Honestly just go for it, girls aren't always as b*tc#y as what people think! We all just want to concentrate on have a good time and making sure the tan is looking okay.
Never have I looked at anybody and sized them up!!
So please don't worry just enjoy yourself :)
x

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

Awww, I know exactly how you feel. I was so excited about doing my course then the reality of it hit me when I kep worrying about having to get down to my bare skin and have someone about 12 inches away from me, concentrating on my body lol! I rang the company a few weeks before and was told I was supposed to be naked - that worried me even more:Scared:
When I got to the course, it turned out I could wear underwear - all that extra worry for nothing:irked:

However, having had two children (9 years apart) and having put on 2 stone (which I've now lost again) I have issues with my body. I felt awful as I was the heaviest on the course and I was only a larger size 12 lol! I hated it and couldn't wait for the tanning session to be over.

Look at it like this - you'll never see them again and the tanning part of the training means you're just that little bit closer to getting the piece of paper in your hands that's going to earn you more money - 20 minutes in your undies is worth that in my book:)

Please don't worry too much because at the end of the day if you've gone through the indignities of labour, you can do anything lol:lol:

I'm posting this as a thinking point and not to offend anyone as I do believe everyone has their individual views/opinons and can make their own informed decisions but for those who have never had a spray tan but offer the service I am totaly baffled by this.

I can understand those who do not wish to be sprayed during thier training as infact I don't think this is the best way of training as some people get so hung up about the fact they have to be sprayed they cannot fully concentrate on and enjoy the course- why dont you see if the company you are training with would be happy for you to take a model with you or provide if they can provide a model on the day?

But for those who offer tanning and have never been tanned in the comfort of your own home or salon by a friend/relative/collugue how can you fully promote your service when you yourself dont use it- I have had alot of clients, friends, even passersby ask me about my tan, what I use and where I got it done then I explain I offer this service and I get alot of bookings this way but not only that how can you answer every question about your service if you have never tried it- yes you can get feedback from others but I feel the only way to truely understand the full process and be the best prepared you can for any questions is to also take part in the services you offer?

This is my own personal opinion and I understand others will have very different opinions but as I said at the start it is only something to think about not meant to offend any individiual.

hi hun really don't worry! If youre feelin really bad about this have a word with your trainer and see if they or you can bring another model. I'm actually a size 16 the higher end of as well and got my trainer to spray me. I actually really hate my body the less i see it the better but i was so excited about having a tan at that moment i couldn't care less. My trainer was more bothered in spraying me correctly than what size i was and from my own experience of spraying five ladies of varying age and size it didn't even occur to me i just wanted to get it right. Try not to worry hun you'll be fine. Really if i can get my squidgy bits out and my very obvious stretch marks on my tummy out then anyone can! Good luck and enjoy your course honey you'll love it! X x x

Thanks for all the advice, i'm feeling a lot better noe about things.
Last 2 nights in a row me and my daughter have been running a few miles and it's really boosted my confidence :).
I just going to concentrate on what i'm going there for and not worry so much about getting naked.

I'm posting this as a thinking point and not to offend anyone as I do believe everyone has their individual views/opinons and can make their own informed decisions but for those who have never had a spray tan but offer the service I am totaly baffled by this.

I can understand those who do not wish to be sprayed during thier training as infact I don't think this is the best way of training as some people get so hung up about the fact they have to be sprayed they cannot fully concentrate on and enjoy the course- why dont you see if the company you are training with would be happy for you to take a model with you or provide if they can provide a model on the day?

But for those who offer tanning and have never been tanned in the comfort of your own home or salon by a friend/relative/collugue how can you fully promote your service when you yourself dont use it- I have had alot of clients, friends, even passersby ask me about my tan, what I use and where I got it done then I explain I offer this service and I get alot of bookings this way but not only that how can you answer every question about your service if you have never tried it- yes you can get feedback from others but I feel the only way to truely understand the full process and be the best prepared you can for any questions is to also take part in the services you offer?

This is my own personal opinion and I understand others will have very different opinions but as I said at the start it is only something to think about not meant to offend any individiual.

This is not true because if your being sprayed by a relative or friend, it is not your service you are promoting, its the friends or relatives! and its all about preference, some people may offer a spray tan service but prefer themselves to have paler skin.

no offence taken by this post nor is it intended to offend original poster, just another viewpoint :)

I undertand where you're coming from, but please dont let it spoil your day.When I trained there were a few gorgeous girlies...and 2 old birds..one of which was me!! I am 14 plus with flabby bits all over the place, but the funny thing was..when it came to the spraying,the other lady and I were 'topless??no problems!!' and whipped our bras off!:eek: It was the youngsters that were all shy and retiring, the ones with the size 6/8 bodies!!! When they saw us having a ball, one by one they took their tops off too! The point is that its just like waxing..I reassure my first timers that I really dont 'see' their bits,whatever size or shape, I am just interested in getting a flawless finish for them. As previous peeps have said,you will never see them again, and tbh they're probs just as nervous as you too! Go for it and enjoy the day!! :)

This is not true because if your being sprayed by a relative or friend, it is not your service you are promoting, its the friends or relatives! and its all about preference, some people may offer a spray tan service but prefer themselves to have paler skin.

no offence taken by this post nor is it intended to offend original poster, just another viewpoint :)

I think the point was that if you are doing spray tan but have never had one done yourself, you can't tell prospective clients what it's like.

From a business sense, I agree with what Kim said. When I did my brazilian training, I had never had one done. I thought I cannot answer clients questions if I have never had one done. You may have the knowledge of how it is performed but not the experiencen of what it's like. So I volunteered during the training to be the one to be demonstrated on.

I think if you are offering any service you should have it done at least once yourself.

I think the point was that if you are doing spray tan but have never had one done yourself, you can't tell prospective clients what it's like.

From a business sense, I agree with what Kim said. When I did my brazilian training, I had never had one done. I thought I cannot answer clients questions if I have never had one done. You may have the knowledge of how it is performed but not the experiencen of what it's like. So I volunteered during the training to be the one to be demonstrated on.

I think if you are offering any service you should have it done at least once yourself.

I suppose but it is hard to find someone who:

a)you dont know personally so they wont judge you and your curvey body

b)does a nice spraytan..(as good as the ones i do) :lol:

how can you get that from one person, and then if i like the tan i have to go back and get it re-done. OMG the thought kills me :eek:

maybe i just need to do it the once and get it over with.

I have done 2 spray tan courses the first one being in a group and had to strip in front of about 6 girls . I am heavy and was nervous but I went first that way it was over and done with and then could concentrate on course . And to be honest everyone comes in different shapes and sizes and on your first go everyone feels the same as u regardless of size . You will be fine . Volunteer first and enjoy the rest of the course x

This is not true because if your being sprayed by a relative or friend, it is not your service you are promoting, its the friends or relatives!

i agree. if your friend has given you a great tan and people are stopping you at tescos check out to ask you for your tanners number then it's not actually your number you should be passing on it should be your friends seeing as it's her work and not yours.

what if like me (and many other females) you don't have your own willy/dingler danglers but offer male intimate waxing? should we stop? surely 'from a business sense' it's not good business sense at all to turn clients aka income away because we don't have 'the experience of what it's like'? the same can be applied to lots of professionals in lots of different careers. good education, talking to other therapists and asking your clients for feedback will serve you just as well i think. x

I say try to do it! You'll get a tan out of it and know how it feels to have done.

If your model has a birth mark, bad scarring, odd sized boobs or any other embarrassing body issue, will you pay attention to it? Will you feel differently about them? Have a think about how you see others and it might help you realise that you are all there to learn and when doing a treatment really, you're only concerned about whether you're doing a good job, not about your wobbly bits!

I want to do a tan course and have the same worry but iv decided to use it to my advantage, I'll get a tan and be able to put clients at ease as they will know iv had to strip off too! Go on! Be brave!

xXx

Latest posts

Back