Spray tan for bride with no time for a trial

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulesC

Reaction score
Hi, i've been asked to spray a bride & 2 bridesmaids for the wedding on Tuesday. They haven't had a tan before & i don't think there's enough time to do a trial, although there is for a patch test. I've explained this & agreed to tan them on Sunday. I've never done a bride before but everyone who i tan loves it. I use SiennaX 10% on pale skins & Nouvatan 10 or 12% on more olive types. Have you got any advice for me please? Should i go ahead? I've done girls who were going to proms wearing baby pink dresses 2 days before & their dresses were fine, but i'm concerned about white lace/silk - do i need to do anything in addition to avoid staining?

Hi Jules,
I regularly do brides last minute however I have always used an organic tan called Vani-T. I have even done tans with this product the morning of the wedding as they have a rapid tan and with only showering once no residue or bronzing agent appears on the wedding dresses.
The only other advice would be to ensure they keep there skin hydrated but avoid anything over perfumed.
Hope this helps.

I wouldn't do it. Sorry, probably not what you want to hear. Its the most important day of a women's life, I wouldnt want anything to go wrong, trial first - always. Just what id do though x

Last edited:
Hi Jules,
I regularly do brides last minute however I have always used an organic tan called Vani-T. I have even done tans with this product the morning of the wedding as they have a rapid tan and with only showering once no residue or bronzing agent appears on the wedding dresses.
The only other advice would be to ensure they keep there skin hydrated but avoid anything over perfumed.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for this, i've got a vani-T sample but don't want to use it as i haven't tried it on myself yet. I'd prefer to use what i currently use. When you say anything over-perfumed do you mean that these things contain tan-stripping ingredients or is it for another reason?

I wouldn't do it. Sorry, probably not what you want to hear. Its the most important day of a women's life, I would want anything to go wrong, trial first - always. Just what id do though x

Thanks Lush. They're really keen to go ahead with it - just don't understand why they've left it to the last minute. Its not even the bride who's booked - its one of the bridesmaids x

That happened to me aswell. But as I rent a room in a hairdressers I hadn't taken the booking. And the bridesmaid turned up and was like yeah you have my friend such and such in later, shes the bride! I was like whattttttt? Lol. But what could I do then? So I done it and I think it would have turned out fine :)

My sister in law was a bridesmaid for her sister a few weeks ago and her sister booked them all in for tans (not with me as she doesn't know me) however they went and my sil was peeling quite obviously, the girl proceeded with the tan whilst peeling the dead skin off in places (???) needless to say the tan was awful! Would any of you geeks tanned a peeler? I wouldn't to be honest How much peeling there was. She's gutted as it looks awful on wedding pics. Sorry for jumping on your thread xxx

I would do it. I would not turn down the opportunity for income!
I would however be honest with the clients about ur reservations that they haven't had a trial. I would use the lightest solution you stock, I personally tend to use Nouvatan 8% on any bridal clients. From ur previous posts I know you make sure you give clients good prep and aftercare advice which is great.

In terms of it wearing off on the dress there isn't much you can do. As they are having a tan 2 days before all the guide colour will def have washed off before the wedding. Obviously if there is friction on the skin then the tan will rub off slightly but this cannot be helped. It shouldn't be noticeable anyhow. Good luck x

My sister in law was a bridesmaid for her sister a few weeks ago and her sister booked them all in for tans (not with me as she doesn't know me) however they went and my sil was peeling quite obviously, the girl proceeded with the tan whilst peeling the dead skin off in places (???) needless to say the tan was awful! Would any of you geeks tanned a peeler? I wouldn't to be honest How much peeling there was. She's gutted as it looks awful on wedding pics. Sorry for jumping on your thread xxx

No def would not tan a peeler! Tanned my sister last week and all was well, however a couple of days later she started to peel. I didn't even know she'd caught the sun. Luckily for me she doesn't live near me incase anybody saw her! Gave her some advice to get tan off and all was ok!

Never tan anyone who's peeling or burnt... it'll flake and look awful!

If it's a first tan with no trial for a wedding then I'd give them an 8% and no more - it will give them a glow but not make them look silly. A wedding day is a massive thing and if she doesn't know how the tan will take 8% is the way to go.
And you don't need to do a skin test with tanning solutions unless they have had previous reactions to something or have known allergies... (or unless your insurance company demands it... BABTAC doesn't :) I asked just in case but because it's a licensed product etc then you don't need a skin test)

Thanks so much for all your comments.
I'm getting an 8% today & feel so much better about spraying a bride now.:big grin:
Now i'm wondering about the bridesmaids. I've never done anyone from the main wedding party before & instinct tells me they should all be the same shade if that makes sense. Should i do them all in 8% or assess skin type & spray accordingly?

Never tan anyone who's peeling or burnt... it'll flake and look awful!

If it's a first tan with no trial for a wedding then I'd give them an 8% and no more - it will give them a glow but not make them look silly. A wedding day is a massive thing and if she doesn't know how the tan will take 8% is the way to go.
And you don't need to do a skin test with tanning solutions unless they have had previous reactions to something or have known allergies... (or unless your insurance company demands it... BABTAC doesn't :) I asked just in case but because it's a licensed product etc then you don't need a skin test)

Thanks Tinx

Thanks so much for all your comments.
I'm getting an 8% today & feel so much better about spraying a bride now.:big grin:
Now i'm wondering about the bridesmaids. I've never done anyone from the main wedding party before & instinct tells me they should all be the same shade if that makes sense. Should i do them all in 8% or assess skin type & spray accordingly?

Go with natural skin tones Hun, what if you've got someone whs really pale then an olive skin tone? They are neve going to look same colour so I'd go with what you would normally do x

I would do it. I would not turn down the opportunity for income!
I would however be honest with the clients about ur reservations that they haven't had a trial. I would use the lightest solution you stock, I personally tend to use Nouvatan 8% on any bridal clients. From ur previous posts I know you make sure you give clients good prep and aftercare advice which is great.

In terms of it wearing off on the dress there isn't much you can do. As they are having a tan 2 days before all the guide colour will def have washed off before the wedding. Obviously if there is friction on the skin then the tan will rub off slightly but this cannot be helped. It shouldn't be noticeable anyhow. Good luck x

Thanks LilGem. I'm getting my 8% later. I'm going to mention that it won't wash out of lace just to cover myself x
p.s. thanks for noticing my pre & after advice routine!!!:p

Well... as the tan reacts with the skin then some may not even show an 8%... others will. Always assess on the day but probably some of them will want an 8% and some a 10%. You can only advise, you can't force them to have a lower % :) The tans will never look exactly the same as it's not a paint job ;) Good luck! :)

Well... as the tan reacts with the skin then some may not even show an 8%... others will. Always assess on the day but probably some of them will want an 8% and some a 10%. You can only advise, you can't force them to have a lower % :) The tans will never look exactly the same as it's not a paint job ;) Good luck! :)

Yes i totally agree with you, spraying 2 people with the same % can look totally different. I think i need my 2nd cuppa this morning to get my brain into gear:wink2:
I will assess on Sunday but definitely will not go higher than 10%
Thanks xxx

Latest posts

Back