Spray Tan with Vitiligo

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

immx

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

This is my first post so be gentle with me!!!

I am just setting out on the road to start spray tanning, mainly for family and friends but if it leads on then great!

I haven't yet been on a training course but obviously I will be doing that before being let loose on people! :green:

My main question is my best friend has a condition call Vitiligo, basically it's large patches of her skin that have no pigment at all! About 20-25% of her body is completely white.

When she has had a spray tan in the past, these areas don't go as dark as the rest of her body, and seem to loose the tan long before the rest wears away.

Any advice as once i'm up and running I'll probably be doing her weekly!

Thanks in advance

Ian

Also which % solution should I use on her?

She has fairly light skin but does naturally tan on the normal skin but her white patches burn very easily.

All advice welcome! :)

The reason it wont go as dark, or last as long, on the lighter patches is because the melanocytes are unable to function or have 'died' so to speak, and as you know fake tan contains Dehydroxyacetone (DHA), which reproduces a tanned effect without pentrating the stratum corneum (so it doesnt 'stimulate melanin production' thats a lie) instead it reacts with the amino acids in the superficial layers of skin and that produces different results on different people according to their natural skin colouring

So, the fake tan will never completely 'hide' the lighter patches or match them perfectly with the darker colouring and as long as you make your friend (and other clients with this condition) aware of that then they wont be disappointed with the results

My advice is to just focus your attention on the lighter patches so that you can create as even a look as possible, and that's something that will come with practice and experience - so no doubt your friend will be willing to let you 'practice' on her, and you'll probably pick it up really quickly if you're doing it every week haha!! But the initial 'even' reaults may not last as long as you (or she) may like but unfortunately there's not a lot that can be done about that

Hope it goes well and you enjoy your fake tanning!! xoxo

Also which % solution should I use on her?

She has fairly light skin but does naturally tan on the normal skin but her white patches burn very easily.

All advice welcome! :)

Also, I dont know about % of solution as I've only ever worked with St. Tropez and Fake Bake, which just have the one colour. Maybe change the % for the lighter patches and see if it makes any difference?? I'd experiment as much as you can to see what works best for her skin and what you feel produces the most natural result

Thank you that really helps! I guess it's a case of trial and error on her, which she'll be fine with....I hope!!! :green:

I have a client with vitiligo. She has a 10% all over and then i give her a quick spritz of 12% on the lighter patches. Get your client to buy a 'tan in a can' so that she can top up the lighter patches when they start to fade. :)

I have a client with vitiligo. She has a 10% all over and then i give her a quick spritz of 12% on the lighter patches. Get your client to buy a 'tan in a can' so that she can top up the lighter patches when they start to fade. :)

Cool, thanks for that! :hug:

Once I've done the training, I'll let you know how it goes! :eek:

My close friend ask me to have a go at hiding her vitiligo ,this attempt was made before I looked on here .
Its not bad for a first attempt just went with what I thought would work.I dabbed 12% on the patches then sprayed over with 10%.
It probably could have another spray of 10% all over the next day. 2012-07-15 18.04.39.jpg

2012-07-15 19.02.01.jpg

Latest posts

Back