Spray tanning males

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prettylitletips

Reaction score
I have just had somebody message me on my Facebook page asking to book in for a spray tan, I said yes and booked a day then she said her and her boyfriend both want one. I haven't sprayed a male before I'm abit wary about doing it incase it goes wrong.
Do you have to do anything differently when spraying a man and does the fact thy are more hairy than woman affect the tan?
If I were to decide I didn't feel comfortable doing it how would you go about telling the client your happy to spray her but not him?

I would also like to know this! I've not had any male enquire as yet but when the time comes I want to know how a hairy chest or legs would work with the tan? Would the tan not just cling to the hair?xx

Tips I have read include spraying more upward on the body, but I have done several chaps and never had a problem - except for my husband who jumps around like a little girl cos it's so cold!!!

i am also intrested as a newbie tanner and i have only done women up to now!!
any help greatfully appreciated!!

LOTS of my clients are male....as someone said, when it comes to the hair on the chest etc, spray more upwards to blow the hair up to allow the tan to adhere to skin and not just hair.
One other tip before they get undressed...ask them if they have old underwear on or do they want disposables....as, I know it is surprising, but many a time I have walked in on a fully naked man in the tan booth as they think thats just what you do...take everything off including pants.:o It doesn't bother me as I tan bodybuilders naked etc, but if that freaks you a bit just mention it beforehand. to be honest if you do a good job they will be some of your most regular and reliable clients xxx

Thank you those tips will come in handy. Iv only been qualified in tanning for a week so I think I'm going to practice on my other half before I let myself loose on a real male client as I would hate to mess it up and get a bad rep! X

I've sprayed quite a few men and I don't change my application at all, never had a problem but deffo agree with the underwear thing!

...and bald guys, just treat the sides of the head as an extension of the neck, and get them to nod their head so you can get to the top of it and spray as anywhere else.

LOTS of my clients are male....as someone said, when it comes to the hair on the chest etc, spray more upwards to blow the hair up to allow the tan to adhere to skin and not just hair.
One other tip before they get undressed...ask them if they have old underwear on or do they want disposables....as, I know it is surprising, but many a time I have walked in on a fully naked man in the tan booth as they think thats just what you do...take everything off including pants.:o It doesn't bother me as I tan bodybuilders naked etc, but if that freaks you a bit just mention it beforehand. to be honest if you do a good job they will be some of your most regular and reliable clients xxx

Oh I could imagine turning round the corner to the tent and there they are starkers naked ! I would scream haha !!

Would you give them a hair net also? I would think yes but just checking coz its a bit immasculine ? Haha xx

You have had some good advice here and I would suggest that you do a little search on here too, you will find many many posts on this subject.

Sorry to state the obvious here but WAS THIS NOT COVERED IN YOUR TRAINING?????? I do apologise for shouting but it is so frustrating to hear of absolute basics not being taught. How to tan an overweight person, how to tan a male, how to tan an older person etc etc. If I were you I would firstly do the search and read up as much as you can, then get in touch with whoever trained you and complain about the standard of tuition.

Do you do mobile tanning or are you salon based, the most important thing to remember when going out to tan a male is to make sure you are safe at all times. I tan a lot of men in their own homes but it can be daunting when a new male client tries to book an appointment. Fortunately for me now they are all recommended by existing customers but I do remember how it was in the beginning.

We did cover it but not in depth and at the time I don't think to ask about I further. That's why this site is so helpful. I don't mind doing it I just think I'm going to practice on a male I know so I can see for myself how I have I adjust t routine etc before letting loose on a paying client x

Tanfastic, I was never taught to tan an older person, overweight person or a male client. I was taught 10 years ago and re did my training 2 years ago to update my skills but neither course covered these..! Though I've never had a problem and my fairly logical brain has helped me adapt my routine over the years so I never felt I missed out On information. Would have been nice to be told though..!!! Sounds like most providers of training offer the basics whereas you go above and beyond! Xxx

You have had some good advice here and I would suggest that you do a little search on here too, you will find many many posts on this subject.

Sorry to state the obvious here but WAS THIS NOT COVERED IN YOUR TRAINING?????? I do apologise for shouting but it is so frustrating to hear of absolute basics not being taught. How to tan an overweight person, how to tan a male, how to tan an older person etc etc. If I were you I would firstly do the search and read up as much as you can, then get in touch with whoever trained you and complain about the standard of tuition.

Do you do mobile tanning or are you salon based, the most important thing to remember when going out to tan a male is to make sure you are safe at all times. I tan a lot of men in their own homes but it can be daunting when a new male client tries to book an appointment. Fortunately for me now they are all recommended by existing customers but I do remember how it was in the beginning.

I was told about overweight people but not males sadly :( even though the company owner is a male and gets regular tans lol! X

Latest posts

Back