Spray Tanning Patch Tests

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teebster

Reaction score
Hello, I am just wondering if any of you experienced spray tanners can give me any advice and a bit of encouragement as I am feeling really, really fed up and down today.

I have completed my spray tan training and currently practicing hard. What I did not realize was that no disclaimer signed by any client will ever stand up in court apparently. I did not know that as I am taught at collage in my ITEC to make every client sign one regardless, so I am really confussed now. I have always completed disclaimer, along with consultation forms and record cards as standard on all my nail and massage clients which I am qualified in as a matter of course - can't see why now.

My idea was to offer spray tanning from my home salon during the day and to do spray tanning parties in the evening. Problem is that now all insurances (well the 6 that I have contacted) state every client must be patch tested 24 hours in advance, by you the therapist in person. How are you suppose to make a living in that case. That means no parties and the client must come to be patch tested before any treatment. I just can't see how I can make it work and I am beginning to regret ever spend out all the money I have on spray tanning. :cry:xxx

Hello, I am just wondering if any of you experienced spray tanners can give me any advice and a bit of encouragement as I am feeling really, really fed up and down today.

I have completed my spray tan training and currently practicing hard. What I did not realize was that no disclaimer signed by any client will ever stand up in court apparently. I did not know that as I am taught at collage in my ITEC to make every client sign one regardless, so I am really confussed now. I have always completed disclaimer, along with consultation forms and record cards as standard on all my nail and massage clients which I am qualified in as a matter of course - can't see why now.

My idea was to offer spray tanning from my home salon during the day and to do spray tanning parties in the evening. Problem is that now all insurances (well the 6 that I have contacted) state every client must be patch tested 24 hours in advance, by you the therapist in person. How are you suppose to make a living in that case. That means no parties and the client must come to be patch tested before any treatment. I just can't see how I can make it work and I am beginning to regret ever spend out all the money I have on spray tanning. :cry:xxx

I can understand why you are feeling a little confused...just remember there are many theropists out there that undertake this function each and every day...at some point when they first started out it possibly felt to much for them also :hug:

These are simply initial concerns and doubts about yourself and what is needed to make this a success...dont wory it will all come together.

Patch testing is an insurance requirement and good practice however there are many ways of overcomming the problem.

A disclaimer isnt possibley going to stand up in court however it together with a patch test is going to demonstrate that you did in fact undertake due dilligence and conducted yourself in the best possible proffessional manner.....it would be difficult therefore to fall foul of any court.
Where possible undertake a patch test 24hrs before treatment however where this is not possible you can in fact undertake the test just before treatment....an adverse reaction to a spray tan solution is generally speaking goint to rer its ugly head within a very short time...so do it (in the worst case situation) about half an hr before hand.
If you talk to your customer and point out why you are having to do this they will see you are a true pro and acting with their best intrests in mind.

Hoping this helps...trust in your training...try and resolve your fears..theres always an answer to each and every problem you are going to face when you first set off...remember your trainer is always available post traing to act as your guide and mentor.:hug:
l

I am about to embark on the wonderful world of tanning too, but I am going mobile, so to get a patch test done 24hrs before han or even half hour is just not practical!
How is this issue overcome.
Is it just possible to write on the disclaimer that no patch test has been done and the customer agrees to this???
thanks

I am about to embark on the wonderful world of tanning too, but I am going mobile, so to get a patch test done 24hrs before han or even half hour is just not practical!
How is this issue overcome.
Is it just possible to write on the disclaimer that no patch test has been done and the customer agrees to this???
thanks

It is always advisable to undertake a patch test in todays society as well as insurance cover may require it so.

You can easily talk a customer into having a patch test prior to the aplication of the spray tan....when they arrive or you to them make this your first comment"Hi Mary...good to see you...before I start I will need to do a quick simple patch test just to make sure there is no adverse reaction..we do after all want to malke you look drop dead georgouse and not break out in a rash kind of discussion.

Customers really will take this as a good sign that you are a true pro and have their best intrests at heart...for those that refuse...well would they be a good customer if they dont care what you do with them and what risks you may put them through...:hug:

It can be done ...unfortunatley most insurers require it to be done so there really isnt any choice :hug:

I had this exact same query yesterday and called BABTAC who I am insured with and they said as Collin does that a reaction will happen pretty much as soon as the solution comes into contact with the skin and that its not essential to do a patch test under the terms of my full cover from BABTAC but eyelah tinting is absolutly essential - I always patch test lash and brow tints regardless..

I am mobile also and thats why I wanted to double check, I patch test where I can get to people and when i cant get to clients easily what I have been doing where possible is sending out tiny sample bottle (this isnt always practical I know but you can get the bottle back and wash it out when you go to do the tan) and asking clients to do a patch test as again as Collin says it shows you have their best interests at heart..

xxx

I hope this helps some..

You know Tams BABTEC is one that I asked and who I am with and I was told it is absolutely essential to carry out a patch test 24 hours before hand so if you have been told that, one of us has been told wrong and I am ringing them again. They also said you have to do the patch test not the client!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Argh!!! Plus with BABTEC you are not covered if you spill something in a clients house by accident when mobile but with the Guild you are. I am finding this a all a bit of nightmare to know what to do right. xx

Well i have just foned my insurance. I have insurance with Salon Gold and i was told that you have to follow the instructions given by the company who supply your solution. I use Fake Bake and Celebrity Secrets. It does actually say on Fake Bake bottles that you have to patch test but it doesn't say how long before so i called them. They said that you have to patch test 24 hours before. Haven't rung Celebrity Secrets as yet. Will let you know what they say.

I was told by the lady I called that spray tanning was exempt and only brow and lash tint was essential I even asked twice to be sure I heard it right.. I'd better call them back and get something in writing but I have the lady's name from their contact us page on the website and i was told that it was exempt 100%..

Im going to check my policy when I get home from work and get them to put it in writing to me as i didnt have the policy whilst I was at work and wanted to check whilst was on my lunch hour..

I will call them again and see what they say - sorry if I have posted something incorrect guys but I can only go on what I was told yesterday I will let you know what they say....

Tams xx

Just called Claire at BABTAC and she said what i was told was 100% correct and that spray tan is classed as a product and it isnt essential to patch test under the terms of their insurance.
As its classed as a product its the same they say as using a facial product on the customer you wouldnt patch test them when doing a facial just the normal consultation card and checks for contra indications etc so they say its the same principle as using something you would in a facial.

I think I will always patch test anyway just to be safe.

They did say it was best not to send out sample bottles and so I wont do that again luckily it was to a friend up north and my cousin so no harm done there..

xx

I patch test before consultation that gives me roughly 10-15 mins for any adverse effects...

Its not practicable for a 24hr,,

Thanks everyone for your help and advice, I really appreciate it. xx

Hope you feel better now xxx

hi ,

How do you carry out the patch test? do you spray the leg??

Im also doing spray tan parties and didnt even consider patch testing but from now on what I think i'll do is arrive 30 mins before party begins patch test then set up, by the time we chat to the girls half an hour has flown past.

would I then put on my disclaimer patch test carried out 30 mins prior to treatment then ask them to sighn???

also have you all made yopur own disclaimers??

I would do a patch test on their underarm. I did my own disclaimer forms on the computer.
I would just get them to sign to say that a patch test had been carried out. I called the lady who supplies me with celebrity secrets and she said she had seen one allergic reaction in 7 years and then it was just like prickly heat.
Just have a check list of any questions to ask-are they on HRT or are they receiving any cancer treatment-are they pregnant etc....
Only a very small percentage of people are allergic to DHA.

hi ,

How do you carry out the patch test? do you spray the leg??

Im also doing spray tan parties and didnt even consider patch testing but from now on what I think i'll do is arrive 30 mins before party begins patch test then set up, by the time we chat to the girls half an hour has flown past.

would I then put on my disclaimer patch test carried out 30 mins prior to treatment then ask them to sighn???

also have you all made yopur own disclaimers??

Simply dab a ear bud in the solution and dab behind the ear.

The signs to look for are like a prickley heat rash developing..this should start developing within a few moments if the individual has an elergic reaction to the solution.

To put this all into perspective it is very very rare for adverse reactions to occur however it is always a possibility so please do undertake this quick test before covering an indviduals entire skin surface with a substance they may have an adverse reaction to,

In most cases this reaction is simply inflimation of the skin however in sever cases can result in a trip to hospital..not the nicest place to be ...especially if your in the Stoke/Stafford region :eek:

Last edited:
I live near Stafford Collin I second that!! x

im so glad that i have come across this thread. I think everyone should be aware of this.
great advice geeks.
Im looking for a disclaimer for clients to sign just to confirm they have done the prep before and are aware of their responsibility after i have sprayed them. so i dont get myself into deep trouble or they try to get a free tan.
if anyone had a disclaimer, is there any chance someone could kindly pm me.
Just ive had a lady who i adviced after care plus gave her a leaflet but she miss placed the leaflet and instead of calling me asking what she needs to do. the next day calls me asking for a free tan, on the phone its clear that she washed her tan of to early.
so im just like to cover myself in future.
Thanks Geeks

im so glad that i have come across this thread. I think everyone should be aware of this.
great advice geeks.
Im looking for a disclaimer for clients to sign just to confirm they have done the prep before and are aware of their responsibility after i have sprayed them. so i dont get myself into deep trouble or they try to get a free tan.
if anyone had a disclaimer, is there any chance someone could kindly pm me.
Just ive had a lady who i adviced after care plus gave her a leaflet but she miss placed the leaflet and instead of calling me asking what she needs to do. the next day calls me asking for a free tan, on the phone its clear that she washed her tan of to early.
so im just like to cover myself in future.
Thanks Geeks

Great thread- just what I was looking for!

Me2u or anyone else- would you be able to send me-pm me a disclaimer as mentioned above? Xxxx

Latest posts

Back