Spray tanning whilst you are pregnant, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemmah9

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I am a spray tanner and recently found out I am expecting, still in 1st trimester, i work full time but also do spray tanning , sometimes up to 20 over a weekend. I have been wearing the paper masks pre pregnancy (which stop the brown nose situation a little but im still inhaling quite a bit) but i dont think this is sufficient during pregnancy. i have done a little research and stumbled across lots of pages on the internet saying that inhaling DHA can cause fetal abnormalities and in some cases cancers and miscarriages and this has obviously scared the life out of me !

I am now considering handing my business over to mum for the next 12-8 months or so and stopping tanning altogether, although I am not sure if an indrustrial face mask, making sure i always use extractors and open both windows in my tanning room will suffice ?!

does anyone have any advice or help please x x x:Scared:

I proper industrial facemask should do the job ,the one they use for spraying chemicals with the big filters at the side :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Thanks chick I am just looking at them now , I will look bonny in one of those :lol:

Not one single case of fetal abnormality or cancer has ever been linked to DHA in spray tanning. the report simply says DHA may have the potential to cause cancer or fetal abnormality. as the effects of inhilation has not yet been tested.
This report was commisioned by a sun bed manufacturer in the USA who have commercial reasons to discredit Safe tanning systems.
the Daily Mail picked up on this "Non story" recently and we had to deal with 100s of worried customers :confused:
ECO-CERT DHA is a natural occuring sugar our comes from sugar beet extract it is found naturally in lots of fruits. Apples for instance. when you bite an apple and leave it in a room and it goes brown. that is the dha in the fruit oxidising.
when you eat an apple the dha is absorbed into your blood stream.
Similarly when you inhale tabacco the nicotine is absorbed via the lungs and into the blood stream.
all smells are tiny particles and if you smell anything at all then tiny particles of the source of that smell ends up going through your lungs (even farts):lol:
I honestly dont believe there is anything for you to worry about. but you must do what you feel is right for your unborn child happy to help

thanks Steve I was hoping you woulld reply as I use Nouvatan (and Sienna x ) . I have been having a good think and for my peace of mind only will stop doing tans for the rest of my first trimester . I will pick it up afterwards and will ensure I use an industrial face mask and keep my room well ventilated. In the meantime I am going to get mum trained up and insured so she can continue with the business for me as I will have to slow down towards the end of pregnancy and for the first couple of months afterwards anyway . Thanks for your help!

Its not so much the DHA you have to worry about.If I were you I would go through the ingredients on your bottles and look up the safety data on each and make an informed decision then.I think you may be quite surprised and remember its not so much about the topical use its the continuous inhalation you should be concerned about.

Thanks Gillian I will have a look into this x

Thanks chick I am just looking at them now , I will look bonny in one of those :lol:

Lol yes but the Darth Vedder look is in this season and if it makes you feel safe :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back