Spray Tanning WITHOUT Exfoliation.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelly

Reaction score
Hi,
This has been playing on my mind for a while now. There are so many ways that this could come about, but I will stick to the one that is causing me the most concern. But any examples of your experiences with this issue appriciated.

What would you do if you had a tanning party and guests arrived wanting their spray tan (could have paid already?), but haven't exfoliated / prepared their skin - even though they were advised to prior to the party?
Do you still apply tan, knowing that it might look horrid?
Do you sell them the products and ask the host if they can have a quick scrub in their shower? They might say no anyway....
Do you refuse to do the treatment and loose the money? (the reason for doing the party)
I know you can advise someone, that because they didn't exfoliate, they are not going to get the best result. But some will still go ahead regardless and then complain to their mates over the following week that they wish they hadn't had the spray tan in the first place.... blah blah blah

This is what worries me the most! After I go home, that person would effectively be a walking 'bad' example of my work.
I want people to ask my clients 'wow, have you been away?' and my client can hand them my business card and say 'No. I had a spray tan! You should call her, she's mobile and is soo good' ....! :lol: I don't want negative press.

It's not like you can follow them around saying 'I know it looks pretty bad, but she didn't exfoliate.....I did advise her to....It would have been beautiful, honest!'
I know I've gone on a bit and it's a little OTT, but I'm not deleting / editing it now - Sorry! :lol:

If it is just one out of the group and they still wanted the spray with out exfoliating first i would spray them then contact them in two days to ask if they have noticed a difference between their tan and there friends tans that prepped correctly, then i would advise to have a good old scrub and come to the salon for a respray to correct it, charging of course as it was the clients error and not mine hth

At the last salon i worked at the spray tanning didnt come with exfoliation . The clients were told over the phone that they needed to exfoliate and moisturise the night before,and no deodorant etc on the day prior to tan, and that this would ensure a better result etc. If they wanted exfo at salon they could come in teh day before at additional cost. There were never any probs with this, you just need to be firm when booking so that they know that teh pre home care is part of the treatment. Maybe you could offer exfo day before etc if they require it.
Goodluck:)

Sometimes clients do forget I make sure I remind them about the reasons why I told them to exfoliate and make sure they understand that it is something they forgot to do and not me. With out sounding like I'm having a go at them. :rolleyes:

To be honest when I spray myself I never exfoliate as I never plan ahead I just think oh I have a spare 15 minutes I will spray myself. There is not a great difference when you don't exfoliate but of course you can see you havent. I think if people could see the why I spray myself they will never be worried about a spray tan again. I really do go to the extreme just to see how good solutions and samples that I have are.

I haven't found the initial outcome of the tan to be affected with not exfoliating, mainly the fade....I would explain to them what could happen as a result of them not exfoliating.....fill in your consultation card accordingly and if they want to proceed, proceed!

I haven't found the initial outcome of the tan to be affected with not exfoliating, mainly the fade....I would explain to them what could happen as a result of them not exfoliating.....fill in your consultation card accordingly and if they want to proceed, proceed!

I am the same as you on that one Cathie.

I do have the sluff wipes that are available from Tantrick (and a few others I believe) so ask the client to use the exfoliating side of the wipes for any areas that they have dry areas with. Still warn them though that the fade could be affected.

We always recommend the use of Sluffwipes for those clients who come unprepared so they can do a last minute exfoliate / make up removal etc before having their tan!

You really do want your client to walk away with a good result - of the initial colour and the and the wear off - although this can also be down to the quality of the solution you use and the application technique.

Mandy x

We always recommend the use of Sluffwipes for those clients who come unprepared so they can do a last minute exfoliate / make up removal etc before having their tan!

You really do want your client to walk away with a good result - of the initial colour and the and the wear off - although this can also be down to the quality of the solution you use and the application technique.

Mandy x

You can see from my post above Mandy that I am being a good girl then and practicing this well!

I have finally got something right!

You can see from my post above Mandy that I am being a good girl then and practicing this well!

I have finally got something right!
:lol:
Thanks everyone for your replies.

There are alot of different opinions so here's mine -

I would let them know that you 'can Not guarantee' it will turn out ok if you they haven't exfoliated the night before like you had told them when booking the party.... then it is up to them.

I wouldn't suggest they had a shower and exfoliate at the party if they had forgot, as I know from first hand this doesn't work - it just washed off my client the next day!!!

Hope this helps - if in doubt say no or make your opinion clear and leave it upto them to choose.

Amanda xxx

www.funkyfingertips.co.uk

Latest posts

Back