SSW - Why Brisa lamp with Brisa gels? The very technical answer, please! :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailartist

Reaction score
I'm about to tear my hair out over on the other nailtech board. Someone asked if they could use any lamp with their Brisa gel. I replied with the basic "you must use the Brisa lamp with the Brisa gel". From there, it has spiraled downhill, and even after a couple more posts by me mentioning the actual scientific reasons behind it all...well I've unsubbed from that thread, let's just put it that way.

But I would like someone to explain, in print, the technical reason(s) why the Brisa lamp must be used with the gel. This is pretty much for my own edification and knowledge, as I don't intend to post on that thread again. :eek: :irked: :green:

OK lets just list some basics here:

I know there was a big outcry about "wattage."

You and I know that that has absolutely NOTHING to do with UV or the amount of light produced, only the power of the bulb itself.

BPO (Benzoyl Peroxide) is an initiator in L&P. Photoinitiators in UV Gel acts just the same way, to start the polymerization process.

Typical gels have a high amount of this photoinitiator, which itself is the main culprit for overexposure or sensitivity to gels.

Brisa has a very LOW amount of photoinitiator, and to make that work, the lamp has a higher amount of UV output. Thus the need for this lamp.

In general, UV lamps do not need to have a very high UV output, because they utilize a higher amount of photoinitiator. SO using a NON-Brisa lamp with Brisa gels will greatly risk the chance of undercuring, overexposure to uncured product because of undercuring, and service breakdown.

I would gather that the techs doing this only THINK that they are getting away with it, and will have quite a mess on their hands later.

I am also not brainwashed lol, and am fairly independent, not to mention quite stubborn. :)

Of course, that makes perfect sense to me. But then, I am a science geek. :) At least, I aspire to be one. Hee.

Oooooh Oh oh

(Picture me jumping up and down with my hand in the air:biggrin: )

Ok, I get all the wattage business.
And the amount of uv a particular bulb puts out.
I get it. Understand it. Makes sense.:wink2:

NOW
My question is this: could not Brisa bulbs be purchased and popped into another lamp? (assuming that the connections match and they're the same 'watt' or whatever) if you know what I mean?

Like house lamps, doesn't matter what brand of bulb I buy, whether they are GE or Rona or no-name.. as long as it's the right size bulb for the right size lamp.

There would be nothing stopping you doing that Victoria but you must remember that the Brisa lamp has been especially designed to get the maximum reflection from the foil sheets/liners inside, therefore if you're using the brisa bulbs in a non-Brisa lamp you won't be sure that the reflectors are doing such a good job.
It's much easier to rely on the correct lamp for the correct bulbs, it takes out the guess work of "will it work or not?".

ValencianNailsIt's much easier to rely on the correct lamp for the correct bulbs, it takes out the guess work of "will it work or not?".

Oh definately. I agree. Just wondered, ya know?:wink2:

Hey I also wanted to quickly add that lowered photo initiator in Brisa gives better color stability added to the lowered chance of allergy, and less shrinkage- which is why you can get that amazing clean, crisp smile line. ;)

Well, you can get an amazingly crisp smile line if you can figure out how to do it! *grumblegrumble* I'm still having challenges with my gel smiles, and it's driving me crazy because I'm such a perfectionist!

But that's a different subject entirely, isn't it? :D

I wondered about using Brisa bulbs in a different lamp, assuming the the wattages matched. But if the "other" lamp wasn't designed to use high-UV-output bulbs, wouldn'd that make a difference?

Yep- the Brisa lamp also has foils placed specifically to get the best results from the bulbs.

I wouldn't do it.

What kills me is the grumbling from some about the cost of the lamp.

If you buy the lamp by taking a class, it's like getting FREE TRAINING to go with your new toys! I would be afraid to stick the wrong bulbs in the wrong lamp, just because I am accident prone and would probably fry myself ;)

There would be nothing stopping you doing that Victoria but you must remember that the Brisa lamp has been especially designed to get the maximum reflection from the foil sheets/liners inside, therefore if you're using the brisa bulbs in a non-Brisa lamp you won't be sure that the reflectors are doing such a good job.
It's much easier to rely on the correct lamp for the correct bulbs, it takes out the guess work of "will it work or not?".

Check it out, Sandi said it way better than me ;)

Latest posts

Back