Staff leaving salon ...to get coffee lol

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesekah

Reaction score
What do you girls think about ... Staff working on a Thursday which is our late night shopping night.. (we work 10am till 8pm) The staff member has had an hour lunch earlier in the day about 1 pm,

I being the owner leave the salon about 5 pm as i had something to do. I find out the next day that one of the staff members pops out of the shop while i was gone to get a coffee for her and 1 other staff member at McDonalds which is about 20 min drive there and back leaving out the junior and then asks the Junior whom was cleaning the beauty area before her next client rocked up to paint her nails while she drunk her coffee.the junior does so but then her client walks in early and the staff member sitting having her nails painted tells the junior to let her client wait a few mintues until she finishs painting but the junior says no and goes to her client... this was on a Thursday night which i pay them a little bit more.

I dont really know what to do or say to the staff member who did this, as she doesnt know i know. im thinking of giving her a written warning but she is my only fulltime hairdresser and she really thinks i owe her something to keep her on as i just bought the salon and dont do hair only the beauty side. She isnt busy AT ALL and im thinking of putting her to part time instead of fulltime.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a staff meeting is called for here.

They seem to think they can do what they like when you aren't there and the junior is watching this and will be led by example.

It's very hard to run a business and leave your salon in the hands of others that don't care as much as you do.

I would sit them all down and explain that you need staff you can rely on etc. and I think I would give them a verbal warning first.

It's one thing running out for a cup of coffee ( she may well have been intitled to a 15 min break by the way, so best to check first before saying anything to her).. but the girl who went to McDonalds is taking the mickey!!

Good luck and make sure you stand your ground.

Remember they are not your friends, they're your staff!!

Good luck :hug:

Thanks :D i have had a few meetings and chats with the girls about things. i tired to talk to the staff member that went to McDonald's , saying i think she is having a hard time accepting me as the boss and she needs to understand i need to be treated as the salon owner..not just a staff member. ( the old hair owner is still there till xmas eve) i bought the hair salon which is next door to the beauty salon i have worked in and owed for 5 years now. im very busy at work and i most of the beauty clients ... i booked out everyday 9 till 5 and find it hard to keep an eye on the hair side.. most of the time she dosent have clients in and cleans the salon or just sits around.

I had a similar situation happen the other day, although I was in the salon. One member of staff smokes, the rest of us don't. I told him he can have cigarette breaks, I don't have a problem with that. But the other day I was on the phone paying a bill in the back room, and he came thru and was bellowing in his deep voice, and one of the other girls said, "she's on the phone" and then he left the room. I came off the phone and went into the salon and there was someone sitting in the waiting area...the member of staff was nowhere to be seen, and we hadn't heard the door opening. I spoke to the woman and she said he'd greeted her, and she was his next client. This was 5 to 3. He comes back in, he's gone out for a fag, and abandomed the woman! So when he'd finished his client, I said, did you greet that woman when she came in? and he said yes. I said, and then you went out for a cigarette? and he said yes. I said to him then and there that the rules have always been, you need to ask me if you can leave the salon before you do, and that you cannot leave the salon when you have a client in. To which he replied, she was 15 mins early and I told one of the other girls I was going out. I just said , you ask me if you can go out. and you do not go out when you have a client in. End of. I'm not usually strict but it was the first time i was pretty annoyed about anything and thought, I need to nip this in the bud! Good luck but in my experience people think i'm a walk over and I struggle to disipline people but sometimes you need to let them know who's boss!!! :) xxx

I agree that you need a meeting to set the ground rules. Maybe a verbal warning.

Make it crystal clear that no more than one person leaves the salon at a time, 15 minutes as a time.

Clients come first, no matter what!

I wouldn't mind having their nails polished if they have no clients as it promotes your colours, but if someone walks in/phone rings, they stop immediately and tend to them.

As to the part time, i would get her to spend all her client free time coming up with promotions, writing christmas cards to existing clients reminding them that you are there, delivering leaflets if necessary. Try everything to make her busy. Warn her that you might have to reduce her hours if she doesn't pick up, it might light a fire under her.

Also consider how you would be if she wasn't there because she may decide to leave and look for a full time job.

HTHxx

No coffee pot in the staff eating area/kitchenette?
What's wrong with that coffee?
I see absolutely no reason whatsoever that any staff member need to leave, unless it's their 'set' lunch hour to do as they choose.

I worked in a salon way back. We NEVER left the premisis. Period.
You're paid to be at work and AVAILABLE said number of hours per day.
If they want to dash off.... DOCK their salary for the time absent.
No such thing as 'nothing to do'. There are always things to be washed, dusted, trash emptied, stock cupboards tidied, etc.... Call and remind clients of their appointments. Whatever.... no reason for ANYONE to sit about picking their butts.

Just my opinion.

no reason for ANYONE to sit about picking their butts.

Just my opinion.

Ew yuck :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: lol now that produced a colourful visual
ha ha :hug: x minky

Ew yuck :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: lol now that produced a colourful visual
ha ha :hug: x minky

LMFAO
Sorry hehehe Sometimes, my 'straight from the hip' way of speaking comes out a bit off
HAHAHAHAHAHAH

You're paid to be at work and AVAILABLE said number of hours per day.
If they want to dash off.... DOCK their salary for the time absent.

I forgot to add: if they're NOT there, then they are NOT available to give service to a client that walks in.
If they are sitting letting their polish dry, then they are NOT available.
etc etc etc..
I'm pretty sure that they don't get paid for their days off or sick days......
So why pay them when they leave the premises?
Perhaps write up a staff 'newsletter' reminding them of certain 'rules' and employment agreements and the penalities of not following them (such as docked pay?)

That way, avoiding a nasty confrontation, but still getting your point across?

I agree with Victoria. my staff are not allowed wet nail varnish when they are meant to be available. Nor is a junior to be left in sole charge in the salon. I would sneakily advertise for stylists if I were you, you may be pleasantly surprised.

I agree with Victoria. my staff are not allowed wet nail varnish when they are meant to be available. Nor is a junior to be left in sole charge in the salon. I would sneakily advertise for stylists if I were you, you may be pleasantly surprised.

I wouldn't sneakily advertise.... I'd do it openly so they knew about it and let them all get worried about who's going to be replaced!!:lol:... that'd be good payback :smack:

I forgot to add: if they're NOT there, then they are NOT available to give service to a client that walks in.
If they are sitting letting their polish dry, then they are NOT available.
etc etc etc..
I'm pretty sure that they don't get paid for their days off or sick days......
So why pay them when they leave the premises?
Perhaps write up a staff 'newsletter' reminding them of certain 'rules' and employment agreements and the penalities of not following them (such as docked pay?)

That way, avoiding a nasty confrontation, but still getting your point across?

Hi, I also agree to with Victoria and Persianista ..... wet polish is a big no no .... as they have to be available at all times ,
if you have absolute proof then perhaps docking thier pay packet may make them think twice .....
also thinking as well why dont they have coffee at work like Victoria mentioned ?
and why Mcdonalds cofffe ? sounds more like they were hungry x lol :)

My experience is that staff will push the boundaries as far as possible. You have to clamp down very hard. Unfortunately you end up a brittle old ratbag like me!!!
Seriously you need to write down YOUR rules of the salon, give everyone a copy, and make them sign to say they have been given it. Any breaches from then on cannot be argued about. It's sad that we have to do this, but staff these days are a real nightmare.

Seriously you need to write down YOUR rules of the salon, give everyone a copy, and make them sign to say they have been given it .

I agree with the above too :)
Do you have a contact of employment in place ?

Good advise all round here................
I've got a off subject question for you.
Why isn't your hair stylist busy? Just lately on here and in my town there are more jobs for hair stylists then there are stylists to do them, so what's wrong with your stylist?
Is she rubbish? Or is she unreliable? How often in the last year has she 'nipped out' for coffee? How many clients have failed to rebook with her.
I myself, am the worlds worst client, because of my shifts I find it very hard to book in advance for my hair cut but I make sure I'm always 10 mins early when they've managed to fit me in, always say it's fine if they are running late and I tip well, because the hair cut is first class and because they always try to fit me in. It's a case of give and take. BUT if I turned up for my appointment and the salon was shut for 15 mins or in the hands of a junior, or, I got a cr*ppy hair cut, I'd never come back. Give me a good one, which I have and it doesn't matter how broke I am I always find the money for my cut, wash and blowdry.

The hair dresser isnt busy due to the face i bought the salon of a women who did most of the clients and only gave clients to the fulltimer when she left to have a baby and when she come back took them all off her again, we are in a area where we are flooded with hair salons... i mean about 25 in just 10 mins drive of each other... i sat with her today and ask her to tell me what happen and her train of thought which lead to her thinking it would be ok for her to leave... she is a fulltimer and i need to pay her 38 hours a week. i made it clear it wasnt on and i wasnt happy at all because i didnt trust her with the shop now ( which i knew she wanted me to do) i told her that she needs to earn my trust as im not going to leave her with my 30,000 dollar business just becuase she was here before. she is only 22 and thinks she has one above me because im 27 and not a hairdresser ( im a award winning nail tach here in my state and im busy with beauty clients) i told her i have thought about giving her a written warning, and the issuse which came with her leaveing eg clients walking in , clients calling and also she could have had a car accident on my time.... so we will see if she leaves, but in the mean time i will be looking for staff... i also told her if your clients done pick up after xmas i may need to reduce her hours... ( the old owner is leaving on xmas eve due to having a baby, and is booked out but the fulltimer isnt... so i said that is risking her job here as those clients need to be happy to have you. she is a nice girl but a bit young at heart and thinks i owe her the worldn .....

PS :lol: i have a great little staff room for the girls, it has a new table and new 2 chairs ( this was the reason i left work that night was to buy furniture for the shop) food in the fridge a micowave and coffee , hot chocolate, tea and little chocolate snaks for them all :) plus what ever they like to bring in..

Nice suggestion angel.I am thinking right now that you are a manager of a business or an owner.

An employee meeting should be done. Employees do still have their responsibilities even if they are the last one left in your shop. They are getting paid for their job and not anything else. Dont make her a part timer because that will make her upset.maybe you should give her the fear treatment and warn her instead of deducting her hours.:mad::mad:

Nice suggestion angel.I am thinking right now that you are a manager of a business or an owner.

An employee meeting should be done. Employees do still have their responsibilities even if they are the last one left in your shop. They are getting paid for their job and not anything else. Dont make her a part timer because that will make her upset.maybe you should give her the fear treatment and warn her instead of deducting her hours.:mad::mad:

Yes, I used to own a Beauty Salon. I sold it after having my baby.

I totally agree with persianista about turning into a brittle old ratbag.... I think I'm ok now though :lol::lol:

It's such a shame that people don't seem to know how to behave at work these days. You would think they would be trying hard to impress a new boss wouldn't you?

Latest posts

Back