staff?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emma Bagnall

Reaction score
I AM SOOOO FRUSTRATED! i have been looking for a new member of staff since christmas to no avail. I have had 33 apply, i have done 17 interviews and 10 trade tests and havent found anyone that i would let loose on a paying client.. 2 girls were managers of other salons... HOW CAN THIS BE? I have come to the conclusion that i either have extremely high standards, or there is a lack of quality training in my area... Can anyone tell me the best place to advertise for staff, i have tried the local warehouse, newspape & job centre. I would love to take on a trainee and send them for decent training, but time isnt on my side, my baby is due in august, and i need someone to settle in and get to know everyone before i take a bit of time off.. any of you geeks had the same problem?

I AM SOOOO FRUSTRATED! i have been looking for a new member of staff since christmas to no avail. I have had 33 apply, i have done 17 interviews and 10 trade tests and havent found anyone that i would let loose on a paying client.. 2 girls were managers of other salons... HOW CAN THIS BE? I have come to the conclusion that i either have extremely high standards, or there is a lack of quality training in my area... Can anyone tell me the best place to advertise for staff, i have tried the local warehouse, newspape & job centre. I would love to take on a trainee and send them for decent training, but time isnt on my side, my baby is due in august, and i need someone to settle in and get to know everyone before i take a bit of time off.. any of you geeks had the same problem?
What exactly has been the problem with these therapists???Maybe they are just not as experienced as yourself.Have you thought about what you were first like when you started?Or is it a case of they really are noooooo good???:green:

hi only a thought do y have any close frineds that are techs in the area college, training academy that can point you in the direction of the best newly trined, or maybe advertise in trade warehouse near you, wish i was in sike i would apply.

seriously.. no good.. waxing not thorough, extensions terrible,very few can even paint a french polish neatly and not one could paint a dark colour without getting it on the cuticles. I know we all had to start somewhere but these are girls with a minimum of 3 years experience.. if i were a client i would be asking for my money back? am i being cruel? i just dont want to risk my reputation.

seriously.. no good.. waxing not thorough, extensions terrible,very few can even paint a french polish neatly and not one could paint a dark colour without getting it on the cuticles. I know we all had to start somewhere but these are girls with a minimum of 3 years experience.. if i were a client i would be asking for my money back? am i being cruel? i just dont want to risk my reputation.
No you are perfectly within your rights and I would be exactly the same.Keep trying,the right one will come along soon enough.:green:

i feel the same as you, after beiung to a number of salons and trade testing a number of people in my time i am terrified of the day when i have to emply staff for My business!!

glad its not just me then. i am offering a really good package too, 40 hours over 5 days £6.50ph plus 20% com. i thought by offering something like this i would attract the better therapists...obviously not! i could understand if it was just nmw. running out of options.. other than poaching... woops did i say that out loud?

Have you tried advertising in your local training centres where trained techs would be furthering their education

i have a really good relationship with the head of beauty at my local college, she has her nails and restylane injections at my salon.. she is keeping an eye out for me for any super talented level threes, but as youth developments not senior therapists.. i have just realised there is a job section on this site.. might give that a go... thanks for the help though geeks, anymore ideas welcome....

Maybe ask Oey,I'm sure she's from your neck of the woods.:)

How many treatments have they done each in trade tests ?

Whenever I have done trade tests I have always ended up doing something wrong. French polish was never perfect & Im sure I made a few mistakes with dark polish before. That never stopped me getting the job because the managers could see I was nervous.....

Have you asked what their favourite treatments are ? If Waxing & Nails are the least favourite then the chances are they were probably nervous as hell at having to do them on a trade test. Maybe you could get them to do one of each of whatever treatments they like/dislike ?

Im sure there is a geek on here that lives in your area that is a therapist, maybe they'd be interested ??

Maybe the best thing would be to choose someone you really like and that you think your clients will like and then work with her until august to retrain her to your way of doing things. That is what I used to do.

Do you know any good mobile techs who are looking for a residence for a while - I dont mean to sound like a DJ by the way

Latest posts

Back