Staffing problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadenza

Reaction score
I have just opened a health & beauty salon. I do the complementary health side and some beauty therapies, but I don't do waxing. I have recently employed a part time beauty therapist, just qualified NVQ2, lovely girl, good manner, lots of clients have told me she has given them a good facials/manicures etc, but waxing is a problem. She has been fine with facial waxing but she doesn't seem to be able to do leg waxing. Had a client this week who wouldn't go through the whole leg & bikini because it was not good. Wax too cold and not removing all the wax, so client was very sticky. Before that, on her second day she did a bad wax, 1 hour for 1/2 leg, so I got her to do me and it was fine, so I thought it would be ok. Now I am beginning to have my doubts. She is also very slow with her treatments 1 1/4 hours for a manicure! How should I go about this, I try and be supportive cos I accept she is only just out of college, but I have a reputation to build and a business to run. I don't want to let her go yet as I think she will be good, but I need to have someone competant. Help please I' really worried about it all.:cry:

Hi,

I have employed lots of girls straight out of college through the years and it's always waxing they struggle with at first. It takes a lot of time before they are competent and unfortunately you may have some complaints.

Do you know any other therapists you could get to help do some 1-to-1 training with her??

If not then maybe you should offer a reduced price on the waxing until she gets more confident. If you have trade tested her yourself it is probably nerves when it comes to doing the real clients.

Timing of manicures - what i do is get a model in for a free manicure and a note paid and stop watch. Break down the manicure into the different sections and time each section on the stop watch. Then work out where she is taking longer than she should etc and work on these particular sections, i.e polish application, cuticle work individually.

Are you busy with appointments?? If she isn't used to working a full column she will take longer so you need to book appointments back to back. Once you have tried improving her timing start booking the appointments on the hour so she has to work to time.

Hope this helps
Lilac

Hi there

i think waxing is the hardest of therapies to do ive been doing it sometime now and still find certain clients ( larger ladies hard to do ) but thats only due the space i have in my room.

i think she is being slow on her timeings because she is nervous and wants to get it right. we all start from the beginning and need a chance.

get someone in who can train her up or have someone watching over her then later when the client is no longer there tell her were she is going wrong,,,,

the best thing to do on a leg wax which is quicker i found is to put wax all over the leg then just strip strip and strip, you have to be quick as the wax cools down quickly but this thrives you to go quicker on knowing that.

it helped me when i first started waxing paying clients, and now i can do a full leg wax no problem. she will be very nervous like i said and just trying to get it right so hopefully she impresses.

get her some training and she will be fine.

I think you should get someone more experienced to do the waxing, I am very picky as to who does my waxing and go to a specific wax studio so I wouldnt appreciate a newbie let loose on me. Also if you get a more experienced therapist in the newbie has someone to learn from and can ask technical questions to - moulding her into a better therapist.
Not everyone is good at everything unfortunetly

Latest posts

Back