Steamers in 2007???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titi

Reaction score
Can i ask any of u: R steamers still essential? R they a must in a facial still? iv heard, that these days, the products themselves, (which????) do the job, without the need for steaming. iv never been able to see or feel, rather, a soft "pickable" skin, without steaming it first, (especially blackheads) or at least using a warm to hot towel.

Any ideas? any revalations, that i dont know about, after few years break?

please "STEAM" me away

thanks

Can i ask any of u: R steamers still essential? R they a must in a facial still? iv heard, that these days, the products themselves, (which????) do the job, without the need for steaming. iv never been able to see or feel, rather, a soft "pickable" skin, without steaming it first, (especially blackheads) or at least using a warm to hot towel.

Any ideas? any revalations, that i dont know about, after few years break?

please "STEAM" me away

thanks
I would say that I am yet to find a product that does the same job as a steamer,be it towel or steam unit.

I think the only true way of opening the pores is by using heat.If you have a very deep seated blackhead I like to use a hot towel then comedone extractor or tissue wrapped round fingers whilst extracting. I never use a steamer.HTH

In my experience Steamers aren't as popular as they once were im not sure if this is down to personal preference or due to some product brands not using them within there treatments.

I suffer badly from blackheads and ive had two facials with different product ranges that cleared up the blackheads (temporaily) without having a steam but i do find it easier to do extraction on a freshly steamed skin.

Steamers enhance some facial products. With Dermalogica, the use of the steamer isn't for opening pores, it's for increasing or decreasing the strength of a certain product that is being used on the skin.

I actually love having the steam as part of a facial when I have one. It makes me relax quickly! I generally use a steamer in every facial, as long as skin type suits, unless the client states during consultation that they do not want the steam. I wouldnt attempt extractions without some form of heat, but maybe that is part habit aswell!

Girls thank u all for ur replies! a bit of a mixed reaction though, but on the whole, seems like in 2007 well still be using steamers

I actually love having the steam as part of a facial when I have one. It makes me relax quickly! I generally use a steamer in every facial, as long as skin type suits, unless the client states during consultation that they do not want the steam. I wouldnt attempt extractions without some form of heat, but maybe that is part habit aswell!

I totally agree with that.

I love having my face steamed when I have a facial, and use a steamer when performing facials myself. I'll definitely be using one in 2007!!!:lol:

Hi
Just wanted to say that I don't use a steamer - Lots of my clients have very sensitive skin/broken capillaries etc etc so I don't use one. I do use hot towels to help warm the skin/open up pores though, also the steamers are so big to use in a small treatment room.

I've got a portable steamer which is light weight and brill, I think it adds to the treatment and makes it more professional, obviously you'd change the facial if the client had sensitive skin. I had a steam facial tonight! did it on myself so it wasnt relaxing but my skin feels fab!

To bring the steamer issue back into the forum...
My friend went on a paramedical skin care course/conference the other week with plastic surgeons etc and she told me that in the medical profession that steamers were now seen as a big no, no as they cause too much damage to the capillaries (of which we now try and fix with other treatments). Just wondering what the situation was like with more advanced skin care solutions in UK?
Looking forward to responses, as I find steamers like real suntans, feel good, but are they good for us or our skin???? :cry:

I do still use my steamer a bit but i am very picky now on who i use it on and when.
For instance i havent been using it on anyone lately with the weather being so cold.Quite often they will come in and their faces are cold and the last thing they need is a lot of heat ,nothing like these two extremes to cause broken capillaries.
I dont even do extractions that much unless there are obvious blackheads.Then i will steam.I certainly never squeeze spots.
My personal opinion is that it does no good to be squeezing and rolling what are really open pores they nearly always come back quite often with more and it can cause broken capillaries and scarring.

I don't steam and I don't extract.

Steamers are a must for treating teens, I have seen blackheads that are so big there is no way you could just leave them in the skin!:eek:

Glad its not just me.I think extracting is so brutal.

Steamers are a must for treating teens, I have seen blackheads that are so big there is no way you could just leave them in the skin!:eek:

I agree that obvious blackheads can be extracted but this really hard squeezing around the nose area or chin that are just open pores is not a good idea.

Latest posts

Back