Sterilising File Cuts

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apex73

Reaction score
Hi,
this is probably a really basic question, can't find any threads on this, but IF you cut someone when filing, how do you sterilise the cut? I understand that theres no way you could use that file on another person, and that the cut must be cleaned...but with what? (i've never actually cut anyone, but I just might one day!)
Geeks...It's over to YOU! Thanx.

When I trained I was taught to spray the nail dehydrator on to the area. Not sure if that is correct though.

RuthW said:
Hi,
this is probably a really basic question, can't find any threads on this, but IF you cut someone when filing, how do you sterilise the cut? I understand that theres no way you could use that file on another person, and that the cut must be cleaned...but with what? (i've never actually cut anyone, but I just might one day!)
Geeks...It's over to YOU! Thanx.

I have a styptic pencil here that I wet with a cuticle bud and put that directly on to any cuts. This stops bleeding instantly, would have thought that anything else would have stung the client. Having said that I have only ever cut one client and that was with a koala buffer even though the sharp edges were filed away!!!!The styptic pencils are designed for men who cut themselves shaving and are available in Boots the Chemist quite cheaply.

THanks for the replies, ladies!:biggrin:
NailsByDesign: is a styptic pencil something to stem bleeding/sterilise or both? What sort of a 'finish' does it leave on the skin? Thanks!

oops! I see you've already said it stops bleeding!

RuthW said:
THanks for the replies, ladies!:biggrin:
NailsByDesign: is a styptic pencil something to stem bleeding/sterilise or both? What sort of a 'finish' does it leave on the skin? Thanks!

It is mainly to stop bleeding and any redness from this, if you put a lot on it can look a little bit white but if you use just a little its fine. It is a solid pencil that looks similar to a lip balm but more solid and you wet a cotton bud and rub it on the stick to slightly transfer some of the product to the bud and then just hold it on the cut for a minute and voila...done. You must only touch the pencil once with a clean bud or you will contaminate it with the persons blood. The ingredients are Aluminium sulphate BP talc. When I went looking for this item (read about it in Elaine Almond's 'Manicure, Pedicure and Advanced nail Techniques' book)) I asked for it in a lot of chemists who looked at me like I was an alien but Boots knew straight away what I was looking for. Just ask for the styptic pencil that stops bleeding if men cut themsleves shaving, they should know what you mean.

You cannot sterilize a cut :lol: you'd have to boil her finger or use a substance that is dangerous to get into the blood stream.

You can sanitize by ordinary washing with soap and water. Or the pencil is a good idea too.

andrelax said:
When I trained I was taught to spray the nail dehydrator on to the area. Not sure if that is correct though.

That is what I do (not that I cut people often, but some clients have very weak cuticle areas). It stops the bleeding as well. Just make sure it is nail dehydrator and not activator that you pick up!!!!!!

how about dip her finger in barbicide or light a match and burn it to stop the bleeding??? or even scrubfresh to cause them a little more pain, especially if they dare say ouch in the first place.

ONLY JOKING! LOL

I think that pencil idea is cool.

*phew!*
cos i really could'nt think of anything more advanced than salt-water to clean a cut in (because its great for cleaning those piercings i know your all covered in!:wink2: ), but i'm going to get one of those Styptic pencils, sounds like something the older more refined gent might use?!!

RuthW said:
*phew!*
cos i really could'nt think of anything more advanced than salt-water to clean a cut in (because its great for cleaning those piercings i know your all covered in!:wink2: ), but i'm going to get one of those Styptic pencils, sounds like something the older more refined gent might use?!!

Just any bloke who wet shaves, its got to better than little bits of tissue stuck all over the face covering the cuts!!!!!

geeg said:
You cannot sterilize a cut :lol: you'd have to boil her finger or use a substance that is dangerous to get into the blood stream.

You can sanitize by ordinary washing with soap and water. Or the pencil is a good idea too.
I totally agree with geeg. But, be super carefull when or if you do nick someone with the file. You don't know their health status and I don't think anyone with HIV or Hep C would tell you if they had it.

What I would like to know though, how is this pencil used? Do you use the pencil directly on the cut and if you do wouldn't that pose a possible risk of transmitting these blood borne viruses? Just thinking out aloud there.

Nerida

nailsbydesign said:
you wet a cotton bud and rub it on the stick to slightly transfer some of the product to the bud and then just hold it on the cut for a minute and voila...done. You must only touch the pencil once with a clean bud or you will contaminate it with the persons blood.

This is what nailsbydesign said about how to do it nail affair :)

OPIGeek said:
This is what nailsbydesign said about how to do it nail affair :)
How silly of me, I must of had one of my moments.

Nerida

We use a liquid Styptic ... it comes in a little bottle and you just squeeze a drop on.

I use Gehwol Fluid. It has tea tree oil in it which acts as an antiseptic and it stops the bleeding immediately. You just put a drop on the cut and nothing actually touches it. Works great!

i use alcohol swabs that i buy from a medical supplier, they are the same thing that doctors use before they give you an injection, clients feel very comfortable with these as they often see their own doctors using them and it gives them a sense of comfort knowing you have done all you can, they can sting a bit, but hell .... didnt we all go through this as kids?

nailzoo said:
i use alcohol swabs that i buy from a medical supplier, they are the same thing that doctors use before they give you an injection, clients feel very comfortable with these as they often see their own doctors using them and it gives them a sense of comfort knowing you have done all you can, they can sting a bit, but hell .... didnt we all go through this as kids?

this is what i use also, i find it reasurring for clients to see a new one teared open. Plus like Nailzoo said they see their own doctors use them. so if its good enough for a doctor it's good enough for me. I bought mine from www.econmed.com

Latest posts

Back