Strange spotty tan mystery?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Divine Locks

Reaction score
So last year I bought several bottles of a well known brand of solution in various strengths. However, when I used the darkest one I found that the tan was coming out really spotty (think dalmation :irked:). I automatically assumed that the gun needed a thorough clean, which I did, then tried again with the same results. I then tried one of the lighter solutions and again it was really spotty. In the end I came to the conclusion that I needed a nw gun and so a couple of week aga i bought one.

Well yesterday I did my first tan with the new gun and the dark solution and guess what.........SPOTTY!. I couldn't believe it, but, by chance i had another brand of solution with me so I tried that and it was absolutely fine:confused: So basically I bought a new gun for nothing.

Has anyone else experienced this, why would a solution spray spotty like that?

Hi

How long have you had the solution? My shelf by is 9 months unopened and 6 months open - if youve had it longer than that could it have gone off?

Claire x

i'd had it for about 4 months and it had been opened for this time so I suppose it was just out of date, am gutted cause i've got loads left as well :irked:

What setting is your gun on? Sounds like its coming out speckled so is your setting too high? It needs to come out like a fine almost invisible mist?

I tried it on all different settings n it was still the same which is why I assumed that I needed a new gun. By the sounds of it though it was just that the solution was out of date - guess you live and learn eh ;)

Your solution should not be out of date yet if it's only been open for 4 months, most solutions say 6 months after opening and 12 months unopened.

These times are guidelines and solution can still be fine to use after the 6 months of being opened or 12 months of sitting unopened, especially if it is always stored correctly (in a cool, dark place in sealed airtight containers).

The spotting sounds much more like the gun is dirty, is set too high or is there a chance that something has contaminated the solution if the gun is clean & the low setting does not alter the fact it's coming out spotty.

Don't forget different solutions need different settings :) So what setting might work for solution 1 - might not be right for solution 2...
How have you stored the solution since you got it?

Had you ever poured left over solution back into the bottle from your cup? maybe cup could have been contaminated and putting the excess solution back into the orignal bottle could have ruined the rest of it? weird! i'll watch this with interest ;)

I've stored it in a cupboard in the salon which is usually quite cold. i have poured unused solution back into the bottle so contamination could have occurred but i'm not sure what it could have been contaminated with though- its a strange one.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Dust or anything bity would cause the effect your describing so it could be anything really but I would say if there is more than 1 bottle behaving like that you should contact the supplier and ask them if they have had any other complaints about your batch, it could possibly be that it is an issue they alreay know about that is nothing to do with what you have done.

I too would love to know the answer to this question. ProperPrincess had this issue with our solution a few weeks ago. I saw the pictures, it was like a load of freckles. Looked very natural but obviouly not what you want! It was a complete mystery because the batch was fresh, no other customer had the same experience, and we'd been using the same batch for training and we did not have this problem either.

Claire is an experienced tanner and knows how to clean her gun so it wasn't that. She'd just invested in a TS20 from her friend so initially she was thinking there was a problem with the machine, but we never found an answer to it, I sent her out a litre of a different range and it worked fine. It would have a slightly different consistency but not majorly. It really is bizzare, it's never happened to us ever (or Claire) ever before. I hope someone here knows the answer!

I will email a few 'experts' now myself.

I think Clare found her gun needed cleaning and it was fine after she had cleaned it, cant find the thread now, hopefully someone will link to it

Well I've found this

Fresh indulgence revive is slightly thinner consistency but not majorly... If you turn your gun down to a ten position and do two coats.... No problem. Turn it up to 8.... Freckles.

Fresh indulgence Caribbean is great in an 8 setting but is also good on 9.

I cleaned my gun, turned down my gun to 10 ad two coats with a fresh revue and it's fine.

I will say that the actual tan looked fine the next day and not to worry too much.

Her hands were still slightly spotty but the rest was fab x

Try turning your gun right down after cleaning it and doing two thin coats.

I also find with revive vertical spraying is easier than horizontal x

thanks for that I'll definitely give it a go xx

So last year I bought several bottles of a well known brand of solution in various strengths. However, when I used the darkest one I found that the tan was coming out really spotty (think dalmation :irked:). I automatically assumed that the gun needed a thorough clean, which I did, then tried again with the same results. I then tried one of the lighter solutions and again it was really spotty. In the end I came to the conclusion that I needed a nw gun and so a couple of week aga i bought one.

Well yesterday I did my first tan with the new gun and the dark solution and guess what.........SPOTTY!. I couldn't believe it, but, by chance i had another brand of solution with me so I tried that and it was absolutely fine:confused: So basically I bought a new gun for nothing.

Has anyone else experienced this, why would a solution spray spotty like that?

Dont suppose this was Fake Bake? My sister had a fb tan and she said she was spotty... dots of it all over?!

no it wasn't fake bake

Latest posts

Back