Strip wax for Hollywood; reaction-anyone experienced this before?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlawlessBeauty

Reaction score
Hi geeks,
I do all my own waxing except for hollywood...i miss bits, it takes ages, don't stretch skin properly, it's a mess! So i go elsewhere.

When i do them i use hot wax but i've been going to a salon that uses strip wax purely because they are nearby and i find it difficult finding time to get to a salon so the closer the better. I've been going for about 8 months and the therapists are nice...the waxing is ok, not excellent but good and only slightly more uncomfortable than hot wax.

Well, i went on wednesday and had the same therapist i've had a few times. It had been 6 weeks so the hair wasn't too long. I felt a little bit more sensitive, but not too bad. That evening it was really sore, particularly around the labia. (I did feel as if she had gone over that part a few times, but i was chatting and taking my mind off it so couldn't be definite). Bad enough so that walking hurt. I even put off my trip to tesco, lol.

Both sides were very sore until saturday morning when it eased off a bit and today are fine. However, the skin also went quite grey and felt scaly and cracked :eek:. Today (sunday) the skin in this area has started peeling and the hair is growing back already all over but more in this area.

I've never seen or experienced anything like it. Have you?
(I'd particularly be interested in hearing from geeks that use strip wax on hollywoods.)
Do you think she went over the area too many times?

Also, do you think i should let the salon know? I'm not worried about any compensation or anything.

Now i don't use strip wax for bikini so I am unsure as to whether going over the same area would cause this effect. It may well do. She may have done it too many times and it has skinned you or perhaps the wax being applied to just waxed skin was too hot and caused this.

If the hair is growing back already perhaps she wasn't removing the hair properly and has broken it and that's why it feels like that? Or maybe te area had alot of dry skin and she couldn't get the hair out because of that and that's why? But that seems unlikely.

No one will know for sure except her. It's hard to tell when not watching someone. X

I use strip wax for all intimate waxing and have done for over 11 years now. This sounds as if she has either not put any oil on the skin beforehand or the wax could have actually been too cool. Of course it could also have been too hot but that is unlikely as it would have been too uncomfortable. She may have gone over the areas too often as well but again this would more likely have been sore at the time.

My guess would be the wax was too cold so removing it is so much more difficult or there was no oil used. :wink2:

I wonder if she broke the hair and where she kept going back to get the stubble, she's removed the skin. Ouch! Put lots of nappy cream on.

It could be a number of things really :)

And Kim glad to see your original avatar back. I like that one lol!

I'm not training in intimate waxing till the end of this month but I do know a little bit about wounds etc so maybe worth me putting my tuppence in...

Definitely sounds like a "graze" type injury - think about one of those fairly shallow type grazes you get sometimes where you don't get a "real" crust but it turns like a brown grey... it's fairly flat and not raised initially. Because the area is also one which is more likely to get moist and moves a lot you're seeing cracking because it can't settle...

Going on what I know about strip waxing (what little I know by comparison to everyone else on here!) then I'd say no oil and going over the area too many times... and sounds like she did it because she broke the hairs initially for whichever reason...

I would personally have a word with the salon owner... doesn't have to be a big old complaint, but if I had a salon and one of my staff did this I'd like to know... that way I could address it and minimise the chances of it happening again :)

Thankyou all for your input. It has been very helpful.

I did make sure to keep it clean and i had lots of sudacreme on hand lol. It definitely sounds like the graze you're describing Tinxy, to a tee.

There was no oil applied. Actually now i'm thinking back on it, they usually use talc and i don't think she did this time.

I'm inclined to agree that the wax may have been too cool. It definitely wasn't too hot. I didn't feel any discomfort towards the heat at all even if she went over areas.

That makes sense Kim about the reason for going over a few times. I normally wax every 4-5 weeks with no problems so 6 should've been plenty long enough.

I think i might write a little note to the salon owners. It is jointly owned but neither of them work there anymore as they have young children now. I don't like to complain or put anyone down and i know the therapist was having a difficult time personally, but you're right about it being better that they have an idea. I'll just make sure to word it nicely.

thanks again xx

As I said I always use creme wax for intimate waxing on all my clients and on myself and never have this problem. I always apply pre wax oil though which prevents the wax sticking to the skin. I will definitely take the skin off if oil is not used. Talc can be used but I find this does not work anywhere near as well as oil. I have tested this on myself, by the way, using the creme wax and also the non strip without oil and it flippin hurts and removes a thin layer of skin which then scabs. Ouch!:green:

Thanks Shedunlop xx

Latest posts

Back