Struggling to get people to practice on!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violet Star

Reaction score
HiGeeks,

I am really struggling to find people to practice on for manicure and pedicure . I dont really want to practice on people i dont know as i will get embaressed if i mess up. I have a mum and 2 sisters and 2 good mates and all of them either cant find the time to help me out or cant be bothered my mum has let me practice very few times but it needs to be quite allot and often.

I dont know what to do :irked: Feel like i wasted my time and money with training and cant get any practice i dont feel like im going to get anywhere without any practice as i lack confidence in this treatment.

What can i do?

Last edited:
well I know how you feel cos I have the same problems trying to get people to give me the time to practice on them...I always have done and its really frustrating....all I can say is either advertise for models or have you got a nail trainer? I know its not the same as a real hand but I still wouldnt be without mine....saying that I tend to practice most on cheap tips these days x

Where in Essex are you ?

well I know how you feel cos I have the same problems trying to get people to give me the time to practice on them...I always have done and its really frustrating....all I can say is either advertise for models or have you got a nail trainer? I know its not the same as a real hand but I still wouldnt be without mine....saying that I tend to practice most on cheap tips these days x

I have got a nail trainer but its just not the same although i use it as much as i can x

Ah shame, I would have gladly helped out, but too far x

I know how you feel hun.
Im in Stevenage which is a bit far away but otherwise I would have helped.

Could you put a notice up at the place you trained or are training and find a treatment buddy? Im sure there are lots of people who need someone to practice on and would be happy to be practiced on in return.
The good thing about that is if they know what they are doing you can ask them if you forget anything:lol:

Ive sent you a pm hun maybe i can help:) x

If I lived nearer you could have practiced on me hun.

By the way and totally not related, I used to live in Brentwood, I went to school in Chelmsford, lived in Stevenage and my dad was from Dagenham. Small world, eh?

Good luck with finding clients hun, you may have to put a card in a local shop window. You will have to do "real" clients sooner or later.

Trish xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PS and we used to go to Clacton in the summer.

someone on my manicure course went to the local care home and did manicures for the residents,

it gave her loads of practice and i think it got her a few "real clients"!

this might not be an option for you, but its an idea :D

:)

someone on my manicure course went to the local care home and did manicures for the residents,

it gave her loads of practice and i think it got her a few "real clients"!

this might not be an option for you, but its an idea :D

:)

I think that's a GREAT idea. The residents in nursing homes or assisted living facilities would welcome being a 'guinea pig'. They will surely enjoy being pampered. :)

I started practising on my friends, mom's friends and people who drank in my local. I started of charging £5 a full set, it was 5 years a go, and then put my prices up accordingly to my work.
My longest client was one of these ladies and has supported me throughout.
I think if you cover your costs and make it clear that your practising, people will bear with you and hopefully become your proper client.

One of my neighbours, which I had only ever said hello to, was getting married, another neighbour told me. At the time I had just done my Brisa Course and asked her if I could practise on her. I gave her the first set for free, these were her wedding nails, two weeks later I was sitting in her house doing infills and still go every two weeks now. That was 3 years a go!

x

I know exactly where you are coming from! When i was training I found it impossible to get volunteers to do waxing on. As I went through my assessments and was left with the more "unpleasant" areas it was even more difficult to find anyone!

You shouldnt be worried about practising on people you don't know. When you're qualified, your clients will be people you don't know! If you're just practising it doesn't matter if you mess up, people will just be glad of a free treatment.

Good luck with it all anyway.

x

I found it hard to find people for my case studies but my hubby said why don't I put an ad in the local shop or chippy or go to a local elderly peoples home (depending on what you want to practice) make sure you state that its free or even post it on this site, there could be someone on here who lives local to you. All my family and friends work full time and usually busy on a night and I live quite far from them. My hubby is always willing to a certain degree, He won't let my do the Hollywood Lashes on him though..... lol :)

hi,
you could put up a ad asking for a model in the local shop, high school or collage, hairdressers and community centres, hth xx

Latest posts

Back