Student/Armed Services discount?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsadie

Reaction score
Hi guys :)

Again on the campaign trail and after an opinion :)

My husband came home last night and said that a man who he works with's girlfriend goes to get her nails done at any salon that has student discount, if it doesn't have it, she doesn't use it. Also I live in a predominently naval town and as far as I know some businesses offer discount to these too (obviously only with production of a valid NUS or Services card and perhaps over a certain spend too)

Do any of you offer discount such as this? I thought it might be a good idea as 10/15% isn't a lot off in the grand scheme of things. When I charge £40 for a Hollywood it would only be about £4 off and it would be about £1.20 off a mini manicure.

What do you think? xx

My immediate thought was "Nope, not doing that!" but I dunno, to be honest. I was toying with the idea of offering a discount to those clients who'd like to support a particular charity, and then saving up that money until there is a reasonable amount and transferring it to the charity.

My thinking behind it (apart from what DH said his friend said) was that the students will eventually be non-students and possibly stay with me if they don't move away to university. The Armed services also because there are a lot of Navy in our town, so lots of balls and 'do's' to go to.

I might trial it and see how it goes.

Thanks for your input hun :hug:

An idea for you may be packages for when service personal come home..so their wives and g/f or b/f or husbands can get pampered.

In the grand scheme of things(being an exforces wife) many left behind will either work or be bringing up the children or as the economic status goes unemployed.

You said yourself its not a huge discount amount anyway, would it be worth the hassle?

I would maybe look at your opening hours(im sure you do already and I dont mean to be rude here), extend one day in the week later for those with kiddies to find sitter or those who work.

The other thing is to maybe put your discounts on 1 day only, maybe the extended hours day??..dont forget we have Valentines day around the corner....colours and dimante all the way:)

An idea for you may be packages for when service personal come home..so their wives and g/f or b/f or husbands can get pampered.

In the grand scheme of things(being an exforces wife) many left behind will either work or be bringing up the children or as the economic status goes unemployed.

You said yourself its not a huge discount amount anyway, would it be worth the hassle?

I would maybe look at your opening hours(im sure you do already and I dont mean to be rude here), extend one day in the week later for those with kiddies to find sitter or those who work.

The other thing is to maybe put your discounts on 1 day only, maybe the extended hours day??..dont forget we have Valentines day around the corner....colours and dimante all the way:)

Thanks Teresa, that's certainly made me have food for thought! I do already open late on a Thursday and Friday by appt. and getting quite busy maybe a Wednesday as the day to do the offer as that's a bit of a slow day for me? If they really couldn't make it and wanted it then I wouldn't turn them away just cos it wasn't on the specified day (of course I wouldn't let them know that and it'd make them feel a bit more special?)

More to consider than I originally thought! :hug: xx

This is what I was thinking along the lines of

15% discount to all students and
Armed Forces Personnel on
production of a valid I.D card

Just visit Beauty Fusions Home Page Treatments and pamper packages available are all nail
services, spray tanning and all waxing services.

Call Sarah on 07534 344717 or visit me in Diva hair studio in Stoke Road, Gosport

It's postcard size so I can leaflet drop in the town and I was considering putting one in my car as an A4 size too (either that or get a window decal from Vista). I also have the emblems of each service and the NUS too so people will see the picture first then read on.

What do you think?

:hug:

Forces discount can be quite a good thing. My brother is in the TA and they now get Services ID ... when he goes to the states he asks in every shop, cafe, bar, restaurant, museum for Allied Forces Discount. An awful lot of places give him one.

It can work very well, and of course people talk to others about where they went for a treatment and somewhere offering a discount always goes down well.

And of course if no-one asks for it you haven't lost anything. And if they do you've gained a client!

Mat

Thanks Mat, that's really encouraging :)

And of course you're right, don't ask, don't get and if no-one asks then what the heck! Not lost anything :hug:

I think it's a good idea actually, my boyf is in the Forces and will only have his hair cut at a barbers/salon that offers Forces discount!!! I think if you live in a "Naval town" then you could be on to a winner...

Good luck with it all x

I never thought of doing a student discount, not a bad idea thanks.
I do senior discounts on specific days.

Back