Successful nail technician

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a great post Geeg we can never stop learning we will never know enough there is always something more to be learned .

Ruby

time and practice good education and patience is the key to success i think, Many a time you want to give it up, but i think it's the challenge of improving all the time that makes this a facinating and time absorbing profession. I have been a hairdresser for many years, and found it relatively easy to learn all the different techniques, yet learning the art of nail enhancements it's got to be the most frustrating but rewarding thing ever. so determination
and practising is the key. thg:)

You know what? ....
I think it depends on the person...their abilities...what they want from their business etc...

I do think it is EXTREMELY important to get the best FOUNDATION course you possibly can....good foundations make for a stable building :D

If from there you a happy with your work, your clients are happy with your work and your business is what you want it to be...then I don't see a problem with not taking any more qualifications/training/courses....

But you can never have enough skills and qualifications.....and if you want to further your career to a higher level you have no choice obviously...

A sucessful nail technician in my opinion is someone who is happy, confident and has happy clients....preferably with a thriving business....
How many certificates or courses they have doesn't really come into it for me....but it certainly doesn't do you any harm to have as much education as you can handle :lol:

Most of us have allot more ambition than your first paragraph implies.

The problem is that this industry does not stand still and you need education to build up and to keep up. Clients wont stay happy for long when they come in and ask for something you know nothing about or a question you cannot answer.

How would you feel about going to a hairdresser who had not been on a course for 10 years and couldn't cut your hair the way you wanted it because she hadn't been on an update course for new techniques? THAT is further education and my hairdresser goes twice a year (probably why she has the best business on the Costa Blanca).

If ones mentality is "oh, they'll do. My clients are happy and I'm happy so I guess I'm OK." is thinking in the very short term and not at all smart. Your client base has to BUILD not stay static ... clients don't always have their nails done forever AND as a final point, it has been proved time and again that technicians (hair or nails or whatever) who take further education build their businesses by a corresponding 10% every time they do so. Their energy and enthusiasm is renewed and their businesses thrive from it.

Once you think you are 'sitting pretty' and laid back and without ambition is the day you will see your business go down the pan as everyone goes off to the newest brightest spark in town.

Fantastic geeg! And your point about hairdressers is true as i have two mobile hair dressers 1. She has just been to college about 10 years ago and that has been it she uses the cheapest brand of bleech and doesnt always seem to know the latest styles or cuts. Which is why i have stopped having my hair done by her.

2. My other mobile hairdresser she went to college about 15-20 years ago and since then every year or so she has been doing many different courses to learn different techniques and styles and colours. She done my hair not long ago and she got it exactly spot on with what i wanted using the newest products on the shelf she knew what she was doing which is why i shall be having her again when i need something else doing.

xx

Most of us have allot more ambition than your first paragraph implies.

The problem is that this industry does not stand still and you need education to build up and to keep up. Clients wont stay happy for long when they come in and ask for something you know nothing about or a question you cannot answer.

How would you feel about going to a hairdresser who had not been on a course for 10 years and couldn't cut your hair the way you wanted it because she hadn't been on an update course for new techniques? THAT is further education and my hairdresser goes twice a year (probably why she has the best business on the Costa Blanca).

If ones mentality is "oh, they'll do. My clients are happy and I'm happy so I guess I'm OK." is thinking in the very short term and not at all smart. Your client base has to BUILD not stay static ... clients don't always have their nails done forever AND as a final point, it has been proved time and again that technicians (hair or nails or whatever) who take further education build their businesses by a corresponding 10% every time they do so. Their energy and enthusiasm is renewed and their businesses thrive from it.

Once you think you are 'sitting pretty' and laid back and without ambition is the day you will see your business go down the pan as everyone goes off to the newest brightest spark in town.

I think you missed my point...
but that happens so I will leave it be :lol:

You know what? ....
I think it depends on the person...their abilities...what they want from their business etc...
Doesn´t every technician want the best for their business?
If the said technician has reasonable ability isn´t it better for them to expand on their ability to make their business even more successful?

I do think it is EXTREMELY important to get the best FOUNDATION course you possibly can....good foundations make for a stable building :D
I totally agree :green:

If from there you a happy with your work, your clients are happy with your work and your business is what you want it to be...then I don't see a problem with not taking any more qualifications/training/courses....
However, a foundation is just that, a foundation, in order to build the house you need more than the ground floor, you would require at least the first floor if you were building a house!
I prefer to live in a tower block (relatively speaking) and strive to improve myself as much as I can, as I further my education so I get higher up the tower block, it´s better for my business, my skills, my techniques and also better for my clients, you will not learn the ´life skills´required for this business solely from a foundation course!

But you can never have enough skills and qualifications.....and if you want to further your career to a higher level you have no choice obviously...
A higher level than what? A foundation?

A successful nail technician in my opinion is someone who is happy, confident and has happy clients....preferably with a thriving business....
How many certificates or courses they have doesn't really come into it for me....but it certainly doesn't do you any harm to have as much education as you can handle :lol:
I don´t see how you can have a thriving business with solely a foundation course.
Of course the amount of education (and/or certificates) comes into it, you don´t get better by sitting on your a$$ doing nothing, you have to work hard to get better and you have to work hard to achieve more...
I don´t think your point has been missed, more that you´ve missed the point of what a foundation course is intended to offer, a foundation, nothing more and nothing less!

:hug:

i think one point that has often been missed in threads like this is that CPD - Continual Professional Development need not always be about going on a course.
It could be about reading an article or tutorial and applying that in your practice.
It could be a 1-2-1 with another nail tech to share skills/review other products. Peer review their work (not just the end result say in a posted critique) but the whole of their routine.
Going to shows - free product demos etc - see educators from other companies - it really might open your eyes.
I have been a model on countless occaisions for all the big guns - and believe me you don't always learn as much on a paid for course as you do on here!
i keep a file with all of my papers, tutorials etc (my homework file!)- it really does help

i think one point that has often been missed in threads like this is that CPD - Continual Professional Development need not always be about going on a course.
It could be about reading an article or tutorial and applying that in your practice.
It could be a 1-2-1 with another nail tech to share skills/review other products. Peer review their work (not just the end result say in a posted critique) but the whole of their routine.
Going to shows - free product demos etc - see educators from other companies - it really might open your eyes.
I have been a model on countless occaisions for all the big guns - and believe me you don't always learn as much on a paid for course as you do on here!
i keep a file with all of my papers, tutorials etc (my homework file!)- it really does help

Good point!!! x

This is so true, the first nail job I had was a couple of weeks doing holiday cover in a tanning salon, the lady who was not on holiday was also a nail tech but preferred her holistic work, she showed me so many things that helped to speed up my work without compromising my service, how best to utilise my time between clients as well as how to give a very good luxury manicure, no certificate to be gained but very good experience and I consider it to have been a very good skill builder.

i noticed that even if u do a long course i mean an nvq for a year its not enough!!! u always need more practising and really get involved in the nail world...go and see all the new things keep up to date with the market and with the fashions and the shows...it really helps...xx

hi i did a one day course in gels at the carltyon instirtute windsor, at the time thought it was great and i was sorted! great for basics but have stuggled alot and am now going to do a conversion course with creative to use brisa in may as i feel it will benifit me tonnes ,as to much to learn in one day.
i did the one day courses as ihave a very young baby and time and money whould not permit me to take part in an intensive course,yet saying all that i now have a room in a salon which is going well but i am under no illusion to how far i have to go and if im not confident in doing someones nails i will be honest about it rather than think im great and bodge it all! better to be honest than get a bad reputation i think amy x

for me i did all my beauty training first at college and then i did a nine week course with opi, and i have since done further training courses with them. they have great teachers!

I don´t think your point has been missed, more that you´ve missed the point of what a foundation course is intended to offer, a foundation, nothing more and nothing less!

:hug:

Ahhhh this is why I should just read and not answer!!!!! :lol:

Ok...here goes....

I know a foundation course is just that.....of course I do!!!!!!!

But... the thread title was 'Successful Nail technician'
So that is more what I was answering....

If it was about training and courses....then I would have answered differently.... I think training and courses are essential....

When I said further your career to a higher level...I meant to become a Grand Master....and Educator....etc...

You know what? It comes down to what you term as successful...and that is what I was trying to get across.... not get into a discussion/debate about courses and qualifications....(I brought it up so I only have myself to blame....)

Failed miserably obviously...
but I still think success is someone who is happy in their career and has a healthy balance between career and 'home life'

whether that be the high flyer with the most successful business on the Costa Blanca or the little business in the quiet town who has been there for 30 years with a steady clientele and an income that more than satisfies their needs...

Success come in many forms...it depends what you feel as a person is successful...

Like I say it was only my opinion....:lol:

I have played with acrylic since I was 13 years old (the REALLY BAD kits you get from Boots. I was fascinated by nails from that point. When I was 16 I did a 2 day course which I learnt the basics from but overall I would say I knew everything I was told so it was basically a waste of money. I went on to do a Creative Conversion Course and some 121 with Debbie Easter. I think it took 2 years of practise before i was 100% happy with my nails.
On the other hand I do the intensive nail training and would like to think that i teach to the absolute best of my ability and think my students produce a good quality of nails.:)

I have taken many courses and continue to do so.....it's all about upping your skills and not just relying on the basics you were taught at foundation level.

To be a successful and sought after nail technician, you need to be updating your skills at least once a year and doing your own CPD, whether by networking here, going to the shows, attending workshops, reading trade press, that kind of thing.

Foundation level is foundation level and to be honest, it's very rare that I have come across nails from a tech with only foundation level qualifications who can really cut the mustard....obvioulsy there are exceptions to the rule, but in general IME I would say not.

ditto - i think a refresher at least once a year does you the world of good - there are always new things you can learn!

I did a one day course for acrylic nails which only lasted about 6 hours, I think people will definately struggle without continued support and feedback from a professional- luckily I picked it up like Id done it all my life I did 5 practise sets my models said it was better than any salon they had visited. The hardest part though is getting a big client base but that will come with time and word of mouth

Latest posts

Back