Successful Shellac only businesses?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lanula Nails

Reaction score
Have any of you established successful businesses based on Shellac only?

Hiya,
I do offer a full nail service menu but I have to say that 90% of my business is Shellac at the moment x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Same for me. I can't actually remember the last time I did anything but Shellac, I love love love it though so it's not a problem! X

It is possible to run a Shellac or Gel polish only business.....BUT you will eventually get a client with a breakage or needing a repair and then it is good to have enhancement training to fall back on.

Probably, but to make it more successfull adding the new Brisa Lite will help with situations like the one above.

I am trained in loads lol but 90 per cent shellac xxx I always think it is best to be trained in a variation of things though. Not everyone wants shellac( I can't think why though lol)

I trained years ago, kept updating my training, opened my home salon in Dec 2012, and out of the 3-4 clients I've had they have all been shellac!

Looking forward to Brisa lite!

Here is my opinion.

At the moment (in general) we have seen a huge swing from enhancement services toward Shellac services; fuelled by many new, natural nail Clients as well as existing enhancement clients who have wanted to try the natural nail route again after perhaps many years of enhancement wear.

What I am beginning to see is a swing back to stronger/enhancement services because many are realising that UV colour coats in general are not strong enough to guarantee 3 week wear for everyone; and three week wear and reliability is what enhancement clients are used to.

Enhancement clients are hard on their nails and used to their nails being very durable and in fact they treat their enhanced nails much more carelessly than they ever would treat their own natural nails, so many just cannot get used to the more delicate coating of a UV colour coat; CND anticipated this a long time ago.

Many clients are wanting MORE in the way of strength than a UV colour coat can give them and are seeking the "in between scenario" which is where Brisa Lite soak-off Smoothing gel comes in .. giving them that boost of extra strength along with 3 week wear; but even this extra strength will not be enough for some, which is where enhancement products need to be used once again (Traditional Brisa hard gel, the new Brisa Lite soak-off Sculpting gel and CND Liquids and powders).

I think we should all bear this swing in mind and make sure we have other things to offer our clients apart from only Shellac. Clients may want enhancements but do not want the buffing of the natural nail or potential nail damage now that they have grown their nails out ... HELLO Brisa Lite soak off Sculpting gel :lol: We really should have everything to offer or we will be turning people away from our doors.

So I suppose what I am saying is that although it may seem right now that you are doing mostly Shellac and can make a good business with it, you are going to need to offer more. As Izzi pointed out earlier, things happen, people break nails, start to nibble or pick, etc. You need to be able to both repair and to strengthen them and to do more than just paint them.

Last edited:
i agree with geeg........its like fashion changes and so do nails...over the years at times its been fashionable to have short nails and other times long nails, not only that it does depend on age and lifestyle and as no 2 clients are the same you have to be able to offer each one what is suitable for them. whatif you had a client that had a big event or wedding say and suddenly she breaks half her nails???that is when being able to extend and repair really comes inx

maybe you could start off with shellac to boost confidence, skills and obviously start earning some money but at some stage you are going to need to add enhancements.

I also mainly do shellac and was about to say yeah go for it you'll be fine but then I read izzidoll and geeg's and other posts and agree enhancements is a valuable skill to have too. I had a bride in for shellac with one broken nail the night before the wedding and I was able to sculpt a new one with Brisa and you couldn't tell at all and Monday nights client wanted shellac but not on her badly bitten nails so a full set of Brisa with shellac and twinkle additives and she was over the moon with her new nails and has rebooked. With the introduction of the Brisa light system and shellac you will have happy clients but also extra happy clients when you can enhance their nails if needed xx

I hardly get any call for enhancements anymore, but I still have the skill to do it. However, with this brisa lite I think I might drop l&p once I've in saw the new brisa lite in action!!

Our clients would slit our throats if we stopped using L&P!! :lol: But then we have never tried to change them all over to Shellac either.

We totally used Shellac for those people for whom it was made ... Natural nail clients .. not ex enhancement clients.

We always did a few manicures in and amongst our enhancement clients but we changed that ratio completely with Shellac. We now do as many Shellac clients as enhancement clients.

Another plus for us is that because we focused on natural nail clients they were thrilled with the 2-3 week wear of Shellac; they were thrilled with one week wear after wearing polish so 2-3 week wear was incredible to them!! They don't moan or try to push Shellac beyond what it was designed to do like ex enhancement clients do? :lol:

If more nail technicians had marketed Shellac to the natural nail market at the beginning instead of trying to change their enhancement clients over to using it, they would still have their enhancement business PLUS NEW Shellac customers.

But the good news is that women will start returning to enhancements again for the extra strength their nails need so don't think you have seen the last of L&P or hard gel. The pendulum is swinging along with the fashion for longer nails again. And we will have the 2 new Brisa Lite options just at the right time. :)

I prefer to do natural nail services. I love the look of natural nails and I love using gelish. (I know this post is about shellac but that's okay) I have 99% people coming to me asking for Gelish but I still offer hard gel sculpts as well for those who need it or for those who have broken a nail etc..I definitely think it is an amazing skill to have!

It's always best to be full service and ready for any nail issues. Also, for me I need to do more than gel polish/Shellac. I need a challenge to be on top of my game. I love a well constructed nail and welcome transforming bricks into beauty.

This week I have had as many L&p clients as Shellac. I find that a lot of clients in our own business still have L&p for stronger nails. I can not wait for Brisa Lite. As I will be wearing that without a doubt.

I offered Shellac only for about 9 months but there is a massive call locally for L&P so I trained for that too. About 75% of my enhancements also have Shellac on them in some form either full coverage or nail art, carved designs etc. However since I started offer the enhancements my Shellac on natural nails has also increased as people are excited when they realise they can have the beautiful designs they see on the enhancements without 'ruining' their nails with acrylic lol

Absolutely! It's possible to run a shellac or gel polish only business, most clients currently are looking for shellac or gel polish and are extremely happy with it. However, as mentioned above, its great to have some knowledge and skill base to fix broken nails or a nail needing repair. It will help keep your clients happy. Hope that helps!

Have to admit I am struggling to build my Shellac clients do my home based salon :(

Have to admit I am struggling to build my Shellac clients do my home based salon :(

I wish I could say that! Not complaining at all but since I've opened in dec 2012, all the clients ask for is CND Shellac!

I'm fully qualified in l&p & gels, but had no clients wanting that treatment. Nice to have it though as
Some geeks mentioned if you need to do repair, you know the procedure.

Interesting thread!
I have been in the industry since early 90-ies and I have used gel for years and years. I'm also trained with resin (fibreglass) and L&P (and pedicures). Since Shellac came out I would say my Shellac clientele grew big time and my gel clientele decreased. I have to say that I have decided not to take any more gel clients because I'm pretty booked and I have gone through busy periods of time where I couldn't fit my gel clients for 2 weeks+ (not acceptable)
Also if I decide to take a break/holidays my clients freak out and it's impossible for me to fit all my gel clients in.

I hired another tech. She is very good with manicures/Shellac/pedicures but not that great with gel. My gel clients only want me and that's it.
Now my Shellac/manicure/pedicure clients don't mind the other techs doing their nails so for me the ONLY way to grow my business (and to STAY in business) is to grow my salon and capitalize on services that can be done by other techs. Getting myself overbooked is not my goal.
Another reason I'm marketing Shellac/manis/pedis is that I might need a surgery on my wrist(s!) and if I'm the only person that does gel (and brings money).. my business is in big trouble.

I SOOO WISH I could find another full nail tech but I have looked and looked. Sure I can teach but I cannot pay someone to sit and watch and practice and noone is willing to come on their days off and learn/practice.
A very sad reality.

New techs (and not so new) often think that they are "all that" and when it comes to reality it takes them 2 hours to rebalance a set that doesn't even look good.
Doing a simple math if we charge $40 for a junior tech (I charge $55), they are bringing $20hr. Considering realistically that they won't be booked all day but lets say half, they are bringing $10/hr. How do I pay them? How do I pay for products, overhead?

Little off topic but I wanted to illustrate why I'm choosing natural nail services- Shellac, manicures and pedicures

It's easier to train someone in natural nail care then enhancements (and this comes from an educator ;))

PS. Anyone looking for a job in Oakville, ON?:wink2:

Latest posts

Back