Supposed 'fully qualified nail tech' saturation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am beginning to tire of this thread now - it just circulates the same response with the same outcome and the same comments in reply....show me the way to the light hearted rubbish threads that I can show people just how bad my sense of humour is! ..

(PS: No I'm not saying all light hearted threads are rubbish before I get the wrath of someone who takes it all personally....) YAWWWWWWWWWWnnnnn

Me too! :D

Me three....!

However I would also like to say that I will continue to mentor my former client who has gone down the 1 day route because I know she has it in her to be a fab nail technician. I shall also continue to help as many aspiring nail techs as possible on this site. (Whether they like it or not!)
Now where is that light hearted thread virtues2011 was on about?

Me three....!

However I would also like to say that I will continue to mentor my former client who has gone down the 1 day route because I know she has it in her to be a fab nail technician. I shall also continue to help as many aspiring nail techs as possible on this site. (Whether they like it or not!)
Now where is that lit hearted thread virtues2011 was on about?

Oh yes .. You can tell the good ones no matter how they start out. They show a thirst ... For knowledge and skill and soak it up like a "dry nappy"! :) Bless all the dry nappies on salon geek. :Love: YOU all are the reason we give our time.

For the first time in my life, I hope to be a dry nappy...lol...rather dry than soiled lol!!

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I feel the college route is best In my personal opinion. I planned to do the short course route until I saw my local college offering a fast track course in Level 3 Nail Technology. It is more expensive BUT as I'm over 24 I qualified for an advanced learning loan. So I don't pay a penny till 2016, and then it is only a percentage of my salary over 21k. I go 1 evening a week, 4-9:30 which I do around 2 jobs (working 70 hours a week in total).

Am I glad I did it this way??? Am I ever! I could never have learnt what I have learnt in just 4 weeks so far in a short course. The course is a year, but I decided to commit to this even though I already work 70 hours as I felt it was my best course of action.

My reason for doing it this way, is because I took a 1 day hair extension course, not knowing what I do now. Hairdressers have such a low opinion of people who do these courses. And now I sort of understand why since taking my course in nails at college! You cannot possibly learn what you need to in such a short space of time. I have to do a lot of research and practise at home (which is difficult with 2 jobs and fitting in hair extensions) but I do it.

X

Well I started with a few very short courses (because there was nothing else then). I did OK but that was because I chose to take my education further as they were most definitely NOT enough.

We all have a choice in how we want our careers to pan out: fiddle about and do a bit of mediocre work for peanuts or try to be the best you can and earn a decent living through hard work, dedication and continuing education.

Education doesn't just mean paying for endless courses. I also means researching, reading, going to trade shows etc. There wasn't even the internet when I put this time in. Now I can still learn buy searching the internet and researching for facts that have a scientific basis. Not least reading everything Doug Schoon puts out!

That's such a good point made by Mum, I really do agree that courses aren't the be all and end all I certainly feel I've learnt more through my own research, practice, and reading than from some courses I've been on.

Short courses were only ever meant to get you on your way - not to 'fully qualify you' and the rest came from working hard and getting experience.

I did a lash course and its taken me a year of practice and study before I have felt good enough to be let loose on a paying client. If I was doing a years course at college doing the same course - I should be at the same level at the end of the year (that is working unpaid and practicing this new found skill) .

Just my opinion.

I also dont really like courses that read 'get yourself a new career' what they fail to add is 'with hard work, determination and a lot of money!!!!'

I am all for continous development and learning, but if potential clients are only judging you by what you charge what do you do then?

I do agree with opinion that nails are just nails to most clients. I have my work displayed in the salon, a few of my produced nails were published in a couple of magazines, I have a trophy on the shelf... So what? People love to look at all that and comment nicely and then ask how much this nail bed extension with deep smile lines is going to cost them. And then they get my reply - £30 (I tryried to charge £35 and had no clients at all). And then they say: "wow you are expensive! Down the road they charge..." But stupid place down the road don't even know what white powder is. And then this person storms out. On occasions like these I feel like crying.

So they want me to produce nice work at the price of the stupid place?

I think to get people to try something different to what they are used to is the most difficult part. At least this is what I have the problem with. I am confident they will be back once they see the difference. But it is so hard to get that bum in a seat in the first place.

Geeg is right - doing things properly becomes a USP. On the positive, one of my clients said that they like coming to me because I thoroughly do cuticle work prior to Shellac application and I don't cut them.

I'm always amazed at clients who come to me saying "so and so used to scuff my cuticle, used to file my naked nail, never did cuticle work" etc. In fact these clients are so pleased with my work that they book up for the next 3 months and I get a lovely tip. They appreciate their nails being treated nicely and are happy to pay for a service that costs more.

One regular client who had her shellac manicure regularly in Spain where she used to live comments at every appointment how pleased she is with the condition of her nails now and how thorough my prep is compared to other salons...it makes it worth it for me seeing that she can't stop looking at her nails once they're done :) so clients do notice the little things!

.... Yeah I agree ...,
.... Was a bit angry when I read that on another thread and one qualified 'therapist'said she can justify charging £15 for shellac/ gelish fingers & toes as its her hobby as she works 3days a week in an office and she's really busy doing treatments every night till 9pm ...

My question are you paying the TAX man like the rest of us ?
... as hobby or not your still getting an extra income .... And you wonder why we get a bit irate when ppl charge stupid prices ....
Every course iv ever done gives you a price guide, every course I teach nvql2&3 we break down cost and show them why they are those prices ....
Raagggghhhhh .... Rant over ...., lol

But brining it back to training - ppl either excel or just get by - an once theyv passed their qualification they forget most of the A&P .. I See it quite a lot in students when training xxxxx

Xxxxxx.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Hi there!

Just wanted to clarify that 'Yes' I am declaring tax and I have completed my self assessment correctly :)

As I have already explained, in detail on another thread, I do not consider my prices to be 'stupid' - I have carried out thorough research if my local area and I am by no means the cheapest.

Yes I work from home but I am not working from my dining room table - I have a professional set up in a room that has been converted.

I have all the correct training and qualifications and I'm fully insured....but I am not a nail tech or a 'therapist' nor have I ever claimed to be. I am a manicurist and work on natural nails only. I'm not the quickest nor do I have years of experience or overheads that many people/salons have hence partly the reasons why my prices are what they are.

I charge £15 for Gelish/shellac and £25 for fingers and toes which is the going rate where I live. They will be going up by £2/3 next year and that is where they will stay.

I'm passionate, professional and good at what I do..... And most importantly.... I'm happy :)

Hi there!

Just wanted to clarify that 'Yes' I am declaring tax and I have completed my self assessment correctly :)

As I have already explained, in detail on another thread, I do not consider my prices to be 'stupid' - I have carried out thorough research if my local area and I am by no means the cheapest.

Yes I work from home but I am not working from my dining room table - I have a professional set up in a room that has been converted.

I have all the correct training and qualifications and I'm fully insured....but I am not a nail tech or a 'therapist' nor have I ever claimed to be. I am a manicurist and work on natural nails only. I'm not the quickest nor do I have years of experience or overheads that many people/salons have hence partly the reasons why my prices are what they are.

I charge £15 for Gelish/shellac and £25 for fingers and toes which is the going rate where I live. They will be going up by £2/3 next year and that is where they will stay.

I'm passionate, professional and good at what I do..... And most importantly.... I'm happy :)

I'm glad your passionate, and happy .. !!!
And I'm glad you are above board with insurance & our 'lovely' tax man

Like I said I teach beauty & massage at NVQ L2&3 - and I make sure that my students know how to break down the cost of the treatments to include :
tax, insurance, 'extra home ins for running a business at home', cost of all products used for each treatment, cleaning products, washing towels etc, electric - lights, washing & drying towels, heating /gas, and then they need to add their time which would be their wages. And that's being at home .... Then our Mobile therapist who need to account for petrol, running of their car, ..!!!

So If you can make a good living from that ... I'm really happy for you ... <3
But ..,,
'It not about being the cheapest or the dearest' ... But after all you'v spent on training and setting up, why wouldn't you 'value you and your time' ... And 'your expertise' ...
Like I said I'm glad your happy with what you earn, but think about if you charged correctly what you could earn or for the same money have extra family time ... Just saying it as it is, I'm just being honest as I'm passionate about our industry too.

Good luck in all you do ....

Sanilulu <3

I'm glad your passionate, and happy .. !!!
And I'm glad you are above board with insurance & our 'lovely' tax man

Like I said I teach beauty & massage at NVQ L2&3 - and I make sure that my students know how to break down the cost of the treatments to include :
tax, insurance, 'extra home ins for running a business at home', cost of all products used for each treatment, cleaning products, washing towels etc, electric - lights, washing & drying towels, heating /gas, and then they need to add their time which would be their wages. And that's being at home .... Then our Mobile therapist who need to account for petrol, running of their car, ..!!!

So If you can make a good living from that ... I'm really happy for you ... <3
But ..,,
'It not about being the cheapest or the dearest' ... But after all you'v spent on training and setting up, why wouldn't you 'value you and your time' ... And 'your expertise' ...
Like I said I'm glad your happy with what you earn, but think about if you charged correctly what you could earn or for the same money have extra family time ... Just saying it as it is, I'm just being honest as I'm passionate about our industry too.

Good luck in all you do ....

Sanilulu <3

I wish I could give 3 hearts to this post so ... <3 <3 <3 There you go. x

I wish I could give 3 hearts to this post so ... <3 <3 <3 There you go. x

.... Awww thank you Geeg.

Xxxxxx

"Circumstances and Finances"
My point exactly, as there should not be a quicker or cheaper route available in the first place, depending on someones circumstances or financial status.
I cannot and could not just decide, tommorrow I would like to be a Chirpodist or a Nurse, but i dont have x amount of years or x amount of money to do training and qualifications. Wether passionate, dedicated and really good at it.
You just cannot do it, so why should the Beauty industry be any different? We are still dealing with the Human body.
So I will Tar with the same brush.
This is my opinion.

Because being a nurse or a chiropodist and beauty/nail/hair professional is entirely different.

You can't seriously compare them.

Because being a nurse or a chiropodist and beauty/nail/hair professional is entirely different.

What are you basing that upon? It is a profession that in order to do properly requires a certain route of qualification...or at least in some places it does still. 3 years where I am actually.

I can very seriously compare them and so would you if you had any idea of the amount of knowledge and skill that goes into becoming a full service professional nail technician.

If you are basing your comment on thinking that a nail technician is someone who sits and paints nails all day you would be very incorrect. That might be what you do, that might be what many do, but that is not what a professional nail technician does ....... Hence the topic of this thread.

I understand you are a nurse and a beauty therapist. I'm sure that your background makes you a good therapist ... So how do you feel about those who do a one day massage course then a one day facial course and call themselves fully qualified beauty therapists?? It happens ... All the time. Are they on the same level as you are as a therapist? Doesn't it make you irritated ... It does me.

Last edited:
... I couldn't agree more Geeg ... !!! ...

But until the industry changes the training regulations on one day courses it will always be ...

When I first trained as a nail tech the course was with Star Nails that was 13 yrs ago - it was a 14 day course spread over 3 months (it was the no1 ext course back then) - (I'm presuming very similar to the CND courses of today with assessment days etc) ... But even with all these days we had to do so many sets between our training days to practice, but it opened my thirst for knowledge so I then went back to college as to do my Nvq L2&3 in beauty / massage as i wanted to learn more A&P and about this industry...,

But how anyone can do a one day course with knowing nothing and think they know how to do any treatment safely is beyond me ... !!! ..,
But then I don't worry about these beauticians / nail techs as i know why my clients come to me.

Xxxxx

I wish I knew how to tap into this plethora of fully qualified nail techs! We went through 60 applicants to find just 2 who could actually 'do' what they are 'qualified' in.

The thing is, there is a VERY similar issue going on right now in the world of photography. People are setting themselves up as a "photographer" simply because they have managed to purchase a Canon/Nikon DSLR for about £500, and the pattern is exactly the same - up pops a website, up pops a Facebook page and up pops a forum profile posting very basic amateur photography and asking for advice on shooting a wedding the following Saturday. And just as in nails, these 'fauxtographers' (as the pros call them) end up disappearing after 12 months when their 'studio' doesn't bring in enough income.

So don't be worried...it's not the death of the nail industry - in any industry the cream rises to the top and charges appropriately, while others think it must be the way the make a quick buck and try to grab a slice of the pie. If anything, these types of people are good for the industry as they enable you to justify your prices to your 'once bitten, twice shy' clients.

Recessions don't finish off healthy businesses or talented people...they just clear the decks of the less skilled and 'not up to scratch' (pardon the pun). That's how I see it!

Latest posts

Back