Taking payments mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naomikb

Reaction score
Hey,

Just wondered how you guys who are mobile take payments? Do you operate on a cash only basis? I've seen an ad for takind card payments via an app on my iPhone, has anyone ever tried this?

Thanks in advance,

Naomi x

wow what is the app??
i need it!!
xx

Please be careful with the card payments which you get through your phone as they dont have the security that the Chip and Pin machines have.

i just do cash only and every now and then check but wow what is that iphone app?

I know there is a blackberry app called e-merit for £20ish per month + transaction fees, not entirely sure how it works though?

Hope this helps

Hey,

Just wondered how you guys who are mobile take payments? Do you operate on a cash only basis? I've seen an ad for takind card payments via an app on my iPhone, has anyone ever tried this?

Thanks in advance,

Naomi x

I use invoice2go lite on my iphone, how that works is I send an invoice from my phone to the clients pc whilst I'm there, they then open it, press PAY and its all done via PayPal. I've not used it much but the options there without forking out each month its just per transaction. You do need a PayPa account yourself for the money to be paid into.

Alternatively lots of my regulars BACs paymnet into my account. I also do accept cheque as long as new client have a gurantee card.

There is an app which is PayPay on your phone and that cost £14 pm + each transaction, that'll probabay be the next thing I go for if needed.

Hope that helps

Sharon

Hi

All these ideas sound great, there is also something that you can get called a virtual terminal. Loads of companies do it, you basically take the payment securely through the internet (the company i.e. barclays or streamline etc) are responsible for maintaining the secure connection too.

When you log on you input the card details and their card is debited and it tells you straight away if the payment has been accepted or whether it is declined. If they query the transaction, you will have the consent form they have signed to prove that they had the treatment so they cannot deny the payment should not have been taken.

With streamline (I got mine through cardsave.... sorry if I cannot advertise business names) and it costs £19.99 per month in that you get 350 transactions free of charge. With barclays it is £10 per month but their card charges are a lot higher I think it is 3% for credit cards and 1.6% for debit cards. Check which method is better for you. I stopped taking cheques as I was getting a lot of them returned as unpaid; even with a cheque guarantee card number on the back.
x

There is an iphone app called SQUARE its a little dongle thing thet you plug into the phone and just swipe the care through it and they sign and use their pin on the iphone touch screen. Looks fab, iv been reserching it for if i ever get busy enough. :)

i am struggling to find SQUARE
i have tried on itunes and my phone :(
what do you search for? x

Sounds great :) I take cash or paypal payments in advance on by website.. A small 50p charge or so per transaction .. Works well for deposits for likes of minx . Saves the running about x

The square looks really great, but it seems you can only have a US bank account and US Social Security number.. I've noticed a lot of these apps still haven't been designed for the UK

great thanks
yeah i think its american :cry:

Hi

I'm going from some home, some mobile to completely home based (maybe the odd tanning party mobile) but I use my laptop when at home (cash if mobile) if people haven't got (enough) cash on them and they pay through my paypal account there and then.

I don't have a fangled phone atm as my blackberry decided to take a bubble bath :cry: so have just a cheap £10 LG which is very basic (no camera, no nuthin!) but when my contract comes up for renewal I may look into the apps thing.

Sarah. xx

Sorry been so busy I haven't had chance to reply. The app i was looking at is the Ipay POS credit card terminal.

It looked quite good but obviously there is a charge. was worried customers wouldn't like the idea of me processing payments via my phone, not sure I would like it if i waas a customer.

I like the idea of using my paypal account, i can always access this on my phone and send an invoice to their paypal account which they could pay in advance or whilst i'm there.

I'm not as trusting as you guys, never accepted a chq payment, by the time i actually get to the bank knowing my luck they would have stopped it!

I'd never pay anyone using my chip and pin card with a mobile phone app. Get a GPRS terminal and accept the overhead! :)

Sorry been so busy I haven't had chance to reply. The app i was looking at is the Ipay POS credit card terminal.

It looked quite good but obviously there is a charge. was worried customers wouldn't like the idea of me processing payments via my phone, not sure I would like it if i waas a customer.

I like the idea of using my paypal account, i can always access this on my phone and send an invoice to their paypal account which they could pay in advance or whilst i'm there.

I'm not as trusting as you guys, never accepted a chq payment, by the time i actually get to the bank knowing my luck they would have stopped it!
I have got to say I am to trusting, but I wouldn't give a stranger my card details to put into their mobile phone, but if it was my regular hairdresser, beautican I would, but having said that, thats exactly why I chose the invoice lite app, its free, no one puts anything into your phone, you just send the invoice to their PC and they open it up, whilst you'res till there, press pay, and "voila!" they can pay by credit, debit card into your paypal account. I'm doing this as all my customers have been used to paying me cash or cheque, once they get used to the idea that they can pay me by card, also as I'm getting more and more new customers I will probabaly get a mobile terminal. It just narks me to have to pay £200-£300 + £20 pm for the sim + whatever for every transaction, thats £500 per year before you've begun. I don't mind the monthly figure, just annoying as if you were static its free.

I have got to say I am to trusting, but I wouldn't give a stranger my card details to put into their mobile phone, but if it was my regular hairdresser, beautican I would, but having said that, thats exactly why I chose the invoice lite app, its free, no one puts anything into your phone, you just send the invoice to their PC and they open it up, whilst you'res till there, press pay, and "voila!" they can pay by credit, debit card into your paypal account. I'm doing this as all my customers have been used to paying me cash or cheque, once they get used to the idea that they can pay me by card, also as I'm getting more and more new customers I will probabaly get a mobile terminal. It just narks me to have to pay £200-£300 + £20 pm for the sim + whatever for every transaction, thats £500 per year before you've begun. I don't mind the monthly figure, just annoying as if you were static its free.

Just checked this app out. Looks pretty good.

I use a GPRS terminal. Like smooth, I got mine through Cardsave. I sat down with about ten different companies before coming to this decision and Cardsave definitely came out the cheapest for me.

I have since found out that their customer service leaves a lot to be desired but for what they charge I suppose I can't really complain :eek:

I use a GPRS terminal. Like smooth, I got mine through Cardsave. I sat down with about ten different companies before coming to this decision and Cardsave definitely came out the cheapest for me.

I have since found out that their customer service leaves a lot to be desired but for what they charge I suppose I can't really complain :eek:
Do you mind saying what their charges are, and how much terminal was thanx

Sharon

Latest posts

Back