Tax Returns, do you put through...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is wrong! speak to a tax inspector, who is to say you have to change cloths on leaving work

I got told the same thing by an Inland Revenue Tax Adviser...... The only work clothes you can claim for are ones that are specifically needed to do your job, for example, steel toed boots for construction workers. Sandals, flip flops,etc for beauty related therapists are not claimable......

I specifially asked about work clothes and was told that 'uniforms' are claimable, shoes etc aren't.

that is wrong! speak to a tax inspector, who is to say you have to change cloths on leaving work

It was a Tax Inspector at the Self Employed workshop only my tunic was claimable if I bought my trouses from tunic manufacturer ok but if I bought them in Next they are not claimable

It was a Tax Inspector at the Self Employed workshop only my tunic was claimable if I bought my trouses from tunic manufacturer ok but if I bought them in Next they are not claimable

Gosh! I'm getting a tunic through work but I'm paying for it, it wont have any embroidery on it like Creative or anything, so will that be ok, as its coming from a work clothing company?

There's lots to think about then with all this.

I may be well off the mark with this... and don't wear protective footwear myself BUT... couldn't shoes such as clogs be arguably shoes related to the industry because I suppose you may need to protect your feet in case you got hot wax on them... or dropped a CACI machine on your toes or something... :lol: :green:

Correct me if I'm wrong though LOL

Gosh! I'm getting a tunic through work but I'm paying for it, it wont have any embroidery on it like Creative or anything, so will that be ok, as its coming from a work clothing company?

There's lots to think about then with all this.

I am sure it would be fine:hug:

I may be well off the mark with this... and don't wear protective footwear myself BUT... couldn't shoes such as clogs be arguably shoes related to the industry because I suppose you may need to protect your feet in case you got hot wax on them... or dropped a CACI machine on your toes or something... :lol: :green:

Correct me if I'm wrong though LOL

No idea but from what I was told they wouldn't let you

I am sure it would be fine:hug:

Cool. Thanks. Think I'm going to order my trousers from a beauty company too, to be on the safe side. I dont ever wear blck trousers so I havent got any and I start next week!:eek:

I think if you buy anything specifically for your job/business then this should be classed as an expense. If this is questioned then an honest explanation is the only answer.

They are not stupid. But I have just bought some tee shirts and trousers and flip flops from Matalan for work - I am mobile and driving in car makes me hot and uncomfortable - I need to be kept cool. They are not bikinis, or sunhats that I am trying to put through - just genuine business clothes and shoes.

There should be a list available of items that can be claimed for.

I knew someone who was a tv producer who put through things like manicures etc because for job interviews she HAD to look smart and presentable otherwise she wouldnt get the jobs.

I think if you buy anything specifically for your job/business then this should be classed as an expense. If this is questioned then an honest explanation is the only answer.

They are not stupid. But I have just bought some tee shirts and trousers and flip flops from Matalan for work - I am mobile and driving in car makes me hot and uncomfortable - I need to be kept cool. They are not bikinis, or sunhats that I am trying to put through - just genuine business clothes and shoes.

There should be a list available of items that can be claimed for.

I knew someone who was a tv producer who put through things like manicures etc because for job interviews she HAD to look smart and presentable otherwise she wouldnt get the jobs.

I couldn't agree more it absolutely should be classed as an expense, but it isn't.

The only way they can tell is if they choose to audit your receipts

wunder iff eye can clame back spelling lessons?:)

I client of mine who worked at the inland revenue told me you could claim against shoes etc. My business advisor also said that you could.

Are the Inland likely to encourage you to put down such items - especially as they want tax from us? Makes me wonder. An accountant will know better.

Okay this may sound a bit harsh but frankly it needs to as there are a couple of posts on here that really concern me. Some advice may be well meaning, but if there is one place you never mess with then that's the Inland Revenue. Do not assume that you can claim for things because you think you can, because your best friend tells you you can, or even because the geeks say you can. Go on the Inland revenue course, go and visit your tax office or phone them up and get if from the horse's mouth.

If you claim for stuff that you are not entitled to and get called for a tax audit ... and trust me anyone can, it's a lottery as to whether you name comes up ... then they will not take kindly to you pleading ignorance, or saying that your 5th cousin twice removed used to be an accountant and says you can. YOU MAY BE FINED FOR COCKING THIS UP. Your life will not be worth living!

Please geeks if you don't know what you are talking about then please don't answer, you could end up getting someone into a hell of a lot of bother. The IR do all these courses for free because they want you to get it right in the first place. And just because a dog groomer or lap dancer etc etc can claim for stuff doesn't mean you can claim for it too. You are in a different job and need different tools to do it!!!

I will say it again, DO NOT MESS WITH THE TAX MAN, DO NOT THINK YOU WON'T BE CAUGHT AND HELL IF YOU WANT TO DO RISK IT THEN FOR PETE'S SAKE DO NOT ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO DO IT TOO.

This site is a professional forum and it looks really bad when people, no matter how well meaning, give out advice that they really are only guessing at! Go to your IR office, only they know what is right and wrong.

Okay this may sound a bit harsh but frankly it needs to as there are a couple of posts on here that really concern me. Some advice may be well meaning, but if there is one place you never mess with then that's the Inland Revenue. Do not assume that you can claim for things because you think you can, because your best friend tells you you can, or even because the geeks say you can. Go on the Inland revenue course, go and visit your tax office or phone them up and get if from the horse's mouth.

If you claim for stuff that you are not entitled to and get called for a tax audit ... and trust me anyone can, it's a lottery as to whether you name comes up ... then they will not take kindly to you pleading ignorance, or saying that your 5th cousin twice removed used to be an accountant and says you can. YOU MAY BE FINED FOR COCKING THIS UP. Your life will not be worth living!

Please geeks if you don't know what you are talking about then please don't answer, you could end up getting someone into a hell of a lot of bother. The IR do all these courses for free because they want you to get it right in the first place. And just because a dog groomer or lap dancer etc etc can claim for stuff doesn't mean you can claim for it too. You are in a different job and need different tools to do it!!!

I will say it again, DO NOT MESS WITH THE TAX MAN, DO NOT THINK YOU WON'T BE CAUGHT AND HELL IF YOU WANT TO DO RISK IT THEN FOR PETE'S SAKE DO NOT ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO DO IT TOO.

This site is a professional forum and it looks really bad when people, no matter how well meaning, give out advice that they really are only guessing at! Go to your IR office, only they know what is right and wrong.

HERE HERE, if you try and "go" them, they will "go" you and can come down on you like a tonne of bricks, it's not worth the risk. They can force you to give receipts to every single client report every client, and can put a supervisor in your salon if they wish, at your cost. (at least here in Aus they can)

claim for everything you can, you are aload to do so, of course you need to look good in your job! you are the advertisment for you business, and it is not very likley that you will be asked to show your recepts although you should always keep them, i'm off to turkey to look for new supplies so i am putting it down as a business expence but it is a holiday also, just think is what your buying or doing going to help your business grow! if it does then claim it, i even claim for my perfume
wow, maybe i need to move to the UK. in australia i can only claim for things directly related to my work.:confused:

wow, maybe i need to move to the UK. in australia i can only claim for things directly related to my work.:confused:

TBH there is a fine line with this one MJ! I'm not sure if you can claim it at all and would advise people to check with the IR.

However in the self assessment tax return there is a column where you enter the whole expense amount, then in another column you place a proportion of the invoice expense that was for personal use . At the end of all the entries you add up all your invoice expenses in one column, and addup all the non allowable expenses in another column, and subtract one from the other to give your net outgoing total. I have to do this for my mobile phone for example, I claim a proportion for home use and a proportion for business use.

Like I say please beware the advice you are giving out, it can be very misleading and land someone in the brown stuff!!!! Don't assume that just becuase you have a receipt that you can offset it against your tax, CHECK IT FIRST WITH THE IR! I was blinking well shocked when I was told that any subsequent training after my initial course I could not claim for. The only time you can claim after your initial course is if you have an awarding body that says you HAVE to train or take exams every year to keep your qualification valid. They basically said that it is your choice to train further and is not considered a necessary expense by the tax man!!! Even accountants get this one wrong from what I hear!

I am sole trader and i keep a record of all my ins and outs in a book for the year, number recipts and have them marked in the book, my van is insured as a company vehicule so ANY mileage done in it is written down with the date miles and reason destination for use,.
At the end of the tax year i toddle off to the accountant with all my bits and books, i sit and go over things with him and then he goes over it later with a fine tooth comb (he loves me as i have everything all sorted and in order )he sends me a copy of the return, also later his bill, yes it is about £100. but to me its the best thing. I dont want to end up with any problems from IR it also leaves me free to concentrate on my clients and buisness.
If in doubt leave it to the pros in their field.
Helen

guess i wont be emigrating anytime soon then sass:lol: OMG just read about the training..that is shocking! will be asking my accountant about that!:eek:

guess i wont be emigrating anytime soon then sass:lol: OMG just read about the training..that is shocking! will be asking my accountant about that!:eek:

It may not be the same in Oz hun, but still worth checking, I nearly fell off my chair on my course, especially as I had spent a ruddy fortune on training!!! :irked:

Latest posts

Back