Teeth whitening argh!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylieb

Reaction score
I'm so confused ive read so much info on courses, heard about therapists getting taken to court beacuse theyve used peroxide and training schools giving out the wrong info.

I would love to hear from any therapists that offer this as a service and where to go thats legal to train?

Please guys I don't want you all jumping down my throat explaining how only dentists should do it etc. just want an answer to my question.

Thank you
x

This thread may be helpful. From a client pov though, I would go to a dentist if I wanted teeth whitening. So it may be worth seeing if there really a market for it before investing in training and equipment? My understanding is that the results are poor because the amount of peroxide you can use legally is low. A training school is trying to sell you it's course (and presumably it's equipment) so you are right to check it out.

http://www.salongeek.com/skin-geek/155353-teeth-whitening-training-products-legalities.html

Until last week we were offering a product/service called 'Diamond Teeth Whitening' via a third party that were using one of our treatment rooms and paying us a fixed price per whitening treatment.

At the end of last week the party concerned pulled the treatment and told us to dispose of all the promotional material they had given us.

We were told that that it is unlawful to carry out a treatment on our premises involving more than 0.1% peroxide, as only dentists are allowed to carry out a treatment above this percentage.

Teeth whitening normally involves a solution of between 10% and 25% peroxide.

We were however informed by our sub-contractor that things may change as there may be new products coming to the market that will whiten teeth without having such a high peroxide percentage.

We have no idea if this may occur, but are keen to see it happen as it seems ridiculous that a dentist can currently provide a client with a set of gum shields then ask the client to self-administer gel into the gum shields every night to whiten their own teeth. A salon treatment is surely safer than a self application!

A salon treatment is surely safer than a self application!

Not when they don't have the underpinning knowledge. Like botox, the application is the easy bit, the underpinning knowledge that is required to do it safely and effectively is far greater and requires a dental qualification not only to administer it safely but also legally as the substances used are controlled.

I think you missed the point.

If a client is given something to take away to do at home with instructions, there is far greater risk of the instructions not being carried out then they would be by trained personnel; whether it be in a dental surgery or in a controlled salon environment.

Latest posts

Back