Tesco reveals details of new salon concept

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Hat

Reaction score
Following this week's announcement that supermarket giant Tesco is to rollout a series of professional style salons, more details of the concept have been released.

One of the main benefits of the service, says the company, is that no appointments will be necessary, meaning shoppers can drop in without booking in advance. However, the low price point is likely to serve as the main attraction. Prices include: £20 for a cut and blow dry; £15 for a shampoo and hair cut; £12.50 for a hair cut; £10 for half leg wax and £15 for a full leg wax.

Tesco nail bars and threading are currently being trialled at stores in Wembley, Cambridge Bar Hill, Milton Keynes Kingston and Manchester (Walkden) and standalone beauty salons - which will also offer hairdressing services - will be opened in Leicester and Chesterfield on 31 January.

If Tesco's existing Leicester and Chesterfield salons are a model of future projects, then customers can expect product companies such as Redken and TIGI Bedhead professional ranges to feature.

Andrew Carpenter, beauty category manager at Tesco, said: “We recognise the beauty market is a huge opportunity and we know there is a lot more we can be offering our customers. We know beauty treatments are very popular with many people these days, and we feel the convenience of great value and quality services from manicures to full waxing and styling could be a success with customers. We are only at the testing stage currently and keen to understand how our customers receive the service in these stores.”

Tesco's news comes in the same week department store John Lewis confirmed it is to offer professional in-store treatments - from the likes of Liz Earle and Decleor - from this summer.

Attachments

• images-2.jpeg
    images-2.jpeg
    7.8 KB · Views: 437
That is good news, so long as they're concentrating on price they won't be concentrating on quality and they can have all those penny pinchers looking for a cheap, at any cost, treatments!!

Hmmm.... Sounds alot like a Supercuts salon, cheap, no appointment, uses good quality products, but mentions no training of the stylists and therapists.

Exactly right sounds like another Supercuts.

Doesn't look like they will catering to the African/Caribbean hair market either.

Well

Its an intresting concept - but can you imagine it Tesco Value Nail Polish or Threading by Tesco?

Its so sad that we are being taken gradually over in this country by huge retail out of town organisations, the high street will be obsolute in 20years + I bet.

I personally am not going to worry, after all I cant imagine it being a restfull experience, they already place things in front of us that we dont need to buy and forced to go around a certain way!!!!

Hence why I will be ensuring my customers are treated even more special :) and just carry on.

They just can't resist can they? They have to try or the monopoly on everything...well as much as its irritating i'm not going to worry about my clients who believe in receiving good quality treatments going there..

This is what you get when a sales man gets the bit between his teeth, no understanding of the industry, or the client who wants to be pampered and soothed.
Good luck, with those prices and that atmosphere they are very welcome to the type of client they will get. Considering how they have started to security tag their fresh meat, you would think they would know better:lol:

so do we know what nail products they are using yet, or are the staff booth renters that are suppling their own stuff?

Is there anything that Tesco doesn't want ... I'd boycott the store but it wouldn't make the slightest difference ...

There should be laws surrounding what large stores like Tesco do :/

Salon concept indeed, where is the glamour please? Where is the beauty of getting your pampering done, at a Tesco/ extension of Tesco store? :eek:

Honestly!

Well one thing they are doing is going aggressively after a market WE are a part of.

At least they recognise how huge that market is and that women want these services.

Question is ... Do you realise what they realise and are you going after it, or do you rest on your laurels thinking you are sitting pretty because you have a pretty full book and Tescos doing hair and beauty isn't going to affect you?

People have a huge choice of where to go and where to spend their money ... If you want them to choose to come to you and to spend their money with you then you have got to be offering something more that will make them choose you and stay with you and you've got to let them know it! Be more proactive about building your business.

I think the ones who should worry are the cheap end kitchen mafia and hobbyists; the opportunists who do nails as and when it suits them at a stupid price on customers who only want nails as and when it suits them, because I see their customers being a prime source of fodder for tescos as well as the women who like mobile serices. It's all about convenience as well as price. Clients who are regular and want continual service are not the target market of Tescos.

Teenagers also will be a target market I think because they are 'spur of the moment' impulsive types; they are also the next generation of consumers!! If they grow up with tesco service will they ever want what a good salon offers? .... Will they ever have the time to sit and be pampered even if they want to be?

A bit of food for thought.

I think the ones who should worry are the cheap end kitchen mafia and hobbyists; the opportunists who do nails as and when it suits them at a stupid price on customers who only want nails as and when it suits them, because I see their customers being a prime source of fodder for tescos as well as the women who like mobile serices. It's all about convenience as well as price. Clients who are regular and want continual service are not the target market of Tescos.

I agree entirely, I reckon that's exactly the market it will attract, probably also the same ones that visit those awful nail bars that always seem to be thriving! Thankfully I have built my business on regular loyal clients who are willing and able to pay a reasonable sum for service, the majority of whom still use local greengrocers and butchers. However, I have also spent quite a bit of time targeting the 25-30 year old market who are looking not for a cheap service but a quality service, particularly those with a taste for higher end branded product ranges and a desire not to shop in chain stores.

Just to let you know. When I was living in Spain, and Geeg will know this, there are superstores where hairdressers etc are also located. A little bit like having the Tesco Phone Shops at the side of the food hall. They operate with fairly good quality products and employed staff. They only take on trained staff so they work well. I think Tesco will run it pretty much the same.
I worked in a Nail Salon within a huge shopping mall and it is still doing very well. People pop in, make an appointment then come back later. They are able to do their shopping etc and whilst out and about, also get their hair or nails done too so that they dont have to put aside extra time on another day etc.
What WE need to do is show our clients that we look after them better. Remember to explain why we use certain products, what the products does for them, give them pure facts etc, in other words keep working professionally, make them feel special and make sure you get that repeat booking before they leave. Remember, you get what you pay for. If you want to pay a cheap price, you will get a cheap service. Mothers of the younger girls need to let them know this too. Their nails will only be as good as how they are treated. Better service equals better nails. If you run a salon, do girly days, change the music, a little more upbeat, or Mothers days where its a little more relaxing etc etc. Keep planning on working ahead and you will do fine. There will always be some sort of new competition out there. If you are good at what you do and plan well, then you will do well. Rise above it.

Tesco Supermarkets have totally destroyed the small business where I live. If they brought in hairdressers and nailbars here, Cumbernauld would be a ghost town. I wish these big establishments would keep their ideas to themselves and allow small businesses to operate for their communities.

The clientelle would be wanting cheaper rates for everything which would mean the experienced beauticians and nail techs would be struggling to keep up with the treatment costs.

Go away Tesco :(

There will an area for delivering babies and one for dropping off the departed next...... When will we learn that if you feed the monster , when there is nothing left to eat, it will eat you????

Sorry but I don't see this as a good thing, it's already very hard to make a living without the monsters coming into the pond.

I support my local small businesses as much as I much as I can. I want to see a high at full of independant shops. Just my opinion.

The clientelle would be wanting cheaper rates for everything which would mean the experienced beauticians and nail techs would be struggling to keep up with the treatment costs.

Go away Tesco :(

I can understand your concern, but you don't have to always compete on price as cost is not the only consideration for all markets, indeed for some clients it can be quite a low priority. Quality of service is a far better aim to strive for, and will generally attract clients who are willing to pay a premium for an above average service and better quality products, whether you are in salon, home salon or mobile.

There will an area for delivering babies and one for dropping off the departed next...... When will we learn that if you feed the monster , when there is nothing left to eat, it will eat you????

Sorry but I don't see this as a good thing, it's already very hard to make a living without the monsters coming into the pond.

I support my local small businesses as much as I much as I can. I want to see a high at full of independant shops. Just my opinion.

I do agree ... but they're here and unless people stop spending their money there they are going to stay here and grow.

I remember coming from the States to live in the UK in the 60's ... all the specialty shops like the Hovis bread shop, the butcher, fish monger, veg shop, etc. All the best produce ... I loved it. Still like that in Bampton in Devon where my sis in law lives .... love going there and shopping.

Pity it's all or nothing.

Tesco don't invest there money in anything unless it's going to make them millions! Instead of us worrying times like these are when we go at everything 110%!!

We should do a Mary Portas and go and get some tshirts printed campaging for us local girls and guys brining beauty the the nation!! :D nothing wrong with that! As I already dispise them already!!!!!
X

I don't see this as a major concern. Hair and beauty centres have been available in department stores for 20+ years. I used to work for Regis International, years ago, they provide high end centres: Harrods, Selfridges etc. Towards the lower end: Hair Express, Supercuts etc. In some areas they thrive and in others they tick over. They provide for all aspects of the market, depending on location, at a pretty high standard. You may poo, poo Supercuts but I have come across some pretty talented, hard working stylists in those salons. Of course, you will always get your rogue stylists, but you get these in every day salons too. :)

When any new salon moves in on your patch, you up your game, regardless of their location. Their overheads will be higher, presuming they run on the same model as Regis, so their prices will not be lower than an average 'town' salon. If your prices are higher, then so will be the expectations of your clients, so you work harder to keep them. Too many stylists/beauty therapists/nail techs get complacent with their clientèle.

I don't see this as a major threat, it's just business. The type of clients that walk through my door would not be interested in this type of salon.

maybe this will create employment opportunities for trained beauty/hair/nail people. My initial reaction is that this will be one to watch for those who seek to be employed.

Latest posts

Back