Text type!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I though that a semi colon was used after you had done a list, instead of a comma, a comma is used during the list to separate the words in the list, but once the list is finished it's a semi colon...no capital letter after, a colon is used prior to a list.

I had a great English teacher!

I though that a semi colon was used after you had done a list, instead of a comma, a comma is used during the list to separate the words in the list, but once the list is finished it's a semi colon...no capital letter after, a colon is used prior to a list.

I had a great English teacher!

I've not come accross it used that way. Take a look at this document. It explains the semi-colon and all the other pieces of punctuation.

Attachments

• PC_pguide.pdf
    2.8 KB · Views: 112
Ok, totally enjoying the giggles here!!

Here's another English lesson/riddle:

What word in the dictionary, features all of the vowels of the alphabet, including the letter 'Y', in their correct order?

I guessed this right and freaked out my teacher who had apparently stumped all of this students, and never had a student give the correct answer.

Put your thinking caps on.

:green:

Don't know but I have one...

What is the ONLY word that ends in 'mt'?

Don't know but I have one...

What is the ONLY word that ends in 'mt'?

Also I have another I heard on the radio the other week..

I know a word, 6 letters it contains, take 1 away and 12 is what remains..
What is the word? :lol:

I've not come accross it used that way. Take a look at this document. It explains the semi-colon and all the other pieces of punctuation.
So the colon....prior to a list is right and a semi colon used after a list for example, linking simple sentances as in the sentances before and after the list is right also right?

So the colon....prior to a list is right and a semi colon used after a list for example, linking simple sentances as in the sentances before and after the list is right also right?

Correct. As in the following sentence:

I have: an apple, an orange, a banana and a pear; my mum likes them all.

Correct. As in the following sentence:

I have: an apple, an orange, a banana and a pear; my mum likes them all.
Yes that's what I meant....sorry if it didn't come across like I knew my grammar lol! I got an A in O level English I'll have you know lol :hug:

Well, if you ever saw the candy man, you wouldn't believe what he had in his cart: cola bottles, sugar mice, cherry lips, fizzies, sour sweets and jellies; my mum wouldn't let me have any of them!

How many people would use this correct punctuation today, I guess commas would just be used instead.

It's like speech marks....66 and 99....how often is that used? Just in school I reckon!

Yes that's what I meant....sorry if it didn't come across like I knew my grammar lol! I got an A in O level English I'll have you know lol :hug: Better than what I got. My grammar and punctuation has only improved since I've become a teacher. I was shocked at how much I didn't know and was convinced I'd been short changed in my education!

Well, if you ever saw the candy man, you wouldn't believe what he had in his cart: cola bottles, sugar mice, cherry lips, fizzies, sour sweets and jellies; my mum wouldn't let me have any of them!

How many people would use this correct punctuation today, I guess commas would just be used instead.

It's like speech marks....66 and 99....how often is that used? Just in school I reckon!
I suppose unless you're writing stories or quoting what someone has said if you're writing something, you'd have no need to use. them.

Yes that's what I meant....sorry if it didn't come across like I knew my grammar lol! I got an A in O level English I'll have you know lol :hug:

I always use speach marks..
"Where was the pen?" he replied.

I am forever quoting what someone else has said. LOL

The punctuation for quoting is '...' but if you are writing what someone is saying then you use 66/99? It's all academic at the end of the day because we learn it in scool and forget it for the rest of our lives unless we become teachers lol....no offence :hug:

Also I have another I heard on the radio the other week..

I know a word, 6 letters it contains, take 1 away and 12 is what remains..
What is the word? :lol:

Dozens?

The punctuation for quoting is '...' but if you are writing what someone is saying then you use 66/99? It's all academic at the end of the day because we learn it in scool and forget it for the rest of our lives unless we become teachers lol....no offence :hug:

Haha, I use ' both sides of the word I wanted the reader to 'say' differently in their head.

And " if it was actually said. LOL

Does that make sense? Don't say I am doing that wrong also? LMAO

Haha, I use ' both sides of the word I wanted the reader to 'say' differently in their head.

And " if it was actually said. LOL

Does that make sense? Don't say I am doing that wrong also? LMAO
I'm being far too anal for this time of night!

Yay.. another gold star dished out. You peeps are so clever.. took me ages! LOL

Still havent a clue on VHunter's riddle though about the word that contains every vowel and a 'Y' in the correct order. :rolleyes:

You right Cathie, it's too late. :zzz: LOL

I'm being far too anal for this time of night!

If we were being assessed by Ofsted (the government body that assesses schools) we get an 'outstanding'

It shows we are all willing to at least try and make an effort with our spelling and grammar.

look :eek: I have let my daughter hijack my thread!!! Back to topic if you please.

M a y b e i f y o u w o u l d t y p e s l o w e r, i t w o u l d h e l p!

Ok, totally enjoying the giggles here!!

Here's another English lesson/riddle:

What word in the dictionary, features all of the vowels of the alphabet, including the letter 'Y', in their correct order?

I guessed this right and freaked out my teacher who had apparently stumped all of this students, and never had a student give the correct answer.

Put your thinking caps on.

:green:

right lol bet I'm sooooo wrong (as you said 'riddle' but here you go:green: )

facetiously
abstemiously ..etc.. I have 10 words altogether ..pleeeaassee put me out of my misery and tell me what the word is ,I wont be able to sleep :lol:

If we were being assessed by Ofsted (the government body that assesses schools) we would get an 'outstanding'

It shows we are all willing to at least try and make an effort with our spelling and grammar.

Sorry, but 'we get an outstanding' isn't proper english!

Only joking! It's very late and I have enjoyed this thread so much. Keep up the good work guys xxxx

Latest posts

Back