Text type!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just worked out what "soz" means in text type:lol: after a few have used it and consulted my 12 year old..it means sorry..well i never!:)

Thank you thank you thank you Geeg! I don't post or reply often and this particular thread is worth me putting in my two cents. I am from the States, and I must say that due to the UK slang, I don't understand half of what is talked about. I consider myself a fairly intelligent person and get frustrated when the language used on this site keeps me from understanding things I really want to learn! I appreciate your "rant" and am cheering for you on this side of the pond!

Thank you thank you thank you Geeg! I don't post or reply often and this particular thread is worth me putting in my two cents. I am from the States, and I must say that due to the UK slang, I don't understand half of what is talked about. I consider myself a fairly intelligent person and get frustrated when the language used on this site keeps me from understanding things I really want to learn! I appreciate your "rant" and am cheering for you on this side of the pond!

It only requires a little thought and some good manners to type a reasonable and understandable reply to a world wide audience !! I'm sorry you have found it frustrating and I hope that now, having read your reply, others will listen and take note and be a bit more considerate. :hug:

Its not just hard but sometimes impossible, for other language users to understand what is being written, but also, if you use the search facility to search for important info, Text talk posts are not being picked up by the internal geeky search engine. So just how frustrating is it when you look for something and can't find it because the search facility doesn't understand text talk either.
Just food for thought xxxx

I have to say I can't abide text speak. I don't like on my phone either. I've got a friend (in her 40's) that does it, and it drives me nuts. Takes me longer to work out what she is saying.

Trouble is the younger generation is not learning to spell properly, which i feel will only cause problems in the future. Just my tuppence worth...as you were :D

Please bear in mind that some members of the forum may not be able to get everything right in respect of grammar, punctuation and spelling. It's a skill that many of us take for granted and it's easy to criticise those that don't do it.

Admittedly, most of the people who don't use correct spelling and grammar just can't be bothered, but there are many people (and more than you would imagine) that have dyslexia or other difficulties that might stop them writing perfectly. Please don't put them off with your criticisms.

I work in a 6th form college on the Study Support Team. Many of the learners that pass through our hands would be well able to do a fab hairstyle or great set of nails, but spelling and grammar just aren't their thing. Spell checkers help up to a point, but they don't help with everything. The matter of the convention of using capital letters in appropriate places may not be easy either.

I do wholeheartly agree with Gigi that it is only right that we all do our best to maintain professional standards, but I don't think someone should be put off contributing, just because they feel their grammar, spelling and punctuation aren't up to the mark.

Regards

Please bear in mind that some members of the forum may not be able to get everything right in respect of grammar, punctuation and spelling. It's a skill that many of us take for granted and it's easy to criticise those that don't do it.

Admittedly, most of the people who don't use correct spelling and grammar just can't be bothered, but there are many people (and more than you would imagine) that have dyslexia or other difficulties that might stop them writing perfectly. Please don't put them off with your criticisms.

I work in a 6th form college on the Study Support Team. Many of the learners that pass through our hands would be well able to do a fab hairstyle or great set of nails, but spelling and grammar just aren't their thing. Spell checkers help up to a point, but they don't help with everything. The matter of the convention of using capital letters in appropriate places may not be easy either.

I do wholeheartedly agree with Gigi that it is only right that we all do our best to maintain professional standards, but I don't think someone should be put off contributing, just because they feel their grammar, spelling and punctuation aren't up to the mark.

Regards

Of course I'm sure we are all aware of those with special needs etc (I'm one of them) which is why I use the spell check option here on the site. It is available for free as a download and will point out all the mistakes and correct them for anyone whose spelling or other grammatical bits aren't correct. Just look up in the right corner of this box when you are posting where you see the little ABC an a tick!! Click on that and download for free.

" putting in my two cents. "

Is that an americinism I see above :)

I agree it is difficult for those accross the waterto sometimes understand us Britt's particularly when we use slang,abbreviations etc..text talk must be a nightmare.

Of course when visiting your country we to find the same difficulties(real estate,vacation and variations to the spelling of similar words "color"...let alone the aspect of accent-I sometimes find it impossible to follow some Scottish conversations let alone when they speak a local Dorech slang

Ido have to say that these threads have certainly made me try harder in how I break up my postings and spellings etc and hope others also have benifited
also.

Just as a thought on the text talk issue...is lol , hun , or :lol: or :eek: not similar in nature ..if so i would have to eat my own words :o

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I just say that people not using a capital or upper case I is one of the things that annoys me the most???
Guilty as charged I'm afraid and It's due to me being lazy.
Sorry :green:

Okay, not be be a stickler, but isn't 'spelt' actually supossed to be spelled??
This one got me thinking. My inital thought was: That is spelt incorrectly; You have spelled that word incorrectly.

I did a search and from all the dictionarys online, both spelled and spelt are interchangable.

Now I'm confused and when you think about a word for too long it starts to sound weird and not sound like a word anymore so now my brains fried.

Then there are the words that aren't words that become 'common usage' and end up in dictionaries simply because they are incorrectly used for so long.

My favourite is: irregardless
It doesn't even make sense, but now it's in the dictionary!

I suspect this will happen with some text talk as time goes on....

You made it up :lol:

It's a Spain'ism too :D We have centimos (shortened to cents) here too...

I like that word... Spain'ism :lol:

Sandi...I think you are clutching at straws there.... :lol:

BUMP!!!

For all that's mentioned in this thread previously; not just text talk, grammar, punctuation, overuse of capitals, lack of capitals, lack of paragraphs.....

I simply do NOT read or respond to threads that require I bang my head against a wall to just read them. and understand them.

Errors happen. I UNDERSTAND that! Not everyone is perfect, and that's FINE.
BUT when it's clear someone has not made an effort to write properly, then I will not waste MY effort in answering.

:hug:

I don't mean to be rude but some people may not be very good at English, especially with spelling and 'ies' instead of 'y's' (if that makes sense). Also in the original post pulling us up on 'text type' you have actually used 'peeps' lol.
Then again, I totally agree with what you're saying! I hate text talk but I also sometimes type 'your' instead of 'you're' etc.

Hope I don't offend, and will try to keep my punctuation and grammar excellent.

Oh... Are we allowed to still use 'lol'? or do I have to change to 'Haha'?

:lol:

If you refer back to my post,just before yours, you'll notice that I understand we can't get it perfect all the time.
We ARE human.
:wink2:

If you refer back to my post,just before yours, you'll notice that I understand we can't get it perfect all the time.
We ARE human.
:wink2:

Haha you're lucky if I am perfect any of the time!!

I have to say that as much as I find text talk, no use of paragraphs and just lately capital letters at the beginning of each word hard to read I'm coming more and more of the opinion that it is worth my time reading them. Some people struggle to type properly and for some people where English isn't their first language they see text talk used increasingly both on phones and in forums and wont realise its incorrect. I mean this constructively and hope no one takes this the wrong way but there will also be people who just simply dont have good grammar for what ever reason.

I do believe we should make the effort to type properly, how ever there are some very worthwhile posts to be missed out on just because they aren't worded well and full of text talk or simply not typed as we wish they were if the world was perfect. The day I'm perfect is the day I'll decide its not worth my time to read. :hug:

My point has been missed.

OF COURSE we can't get it right all the time and yes it's a struggle for some.

I'm speaking of posts that are one giant paragraph with no punctuation, that have capitals everywhere (WHICH is more work than not using capitals), or entirely in capitals, that have incorrect thread titles that tell us nothing of the subject, (all that's been covered) etc.

Yes, not everyone can get A's in English class. That's PERFECTLY fine and you will NEVER see me jump all over someone for incorrect grammar, nor incorrect spelling. Most particularly if they are of a country where it's likely english is not their first language (which, by the way, when I do struggle to read something, I always check the poster's origin/nationality, to see if that's why I'm having a hard time).

I'm not trying to pick on anyone.
I'm simply trying to remind those that know, OR bring to the attention of newbies who are unaware, how hard it is for some to read something, that's "all over the place" so to speak.

And while I appreciate that every post has it's value; I also appreciate the effort some members use when they post, and the blatant lack of effort of 'some' others.
I've seen posts by those who's SECOND language is english (or even 3rd in some cases) that make far more sense and are much easier to read than those for whom english is their first language DESPITE spelling/grammar/translation errors.

I repeat: I've no issue with honest errors. NONE!
I've issue with lazy posting.
There is a difference.
If someone is unconcerned about another member understanding them, then how concerned will they be about another member's replies?

:hug::hug::hug::hug:

Latest posts

Back