The Tricks of the Trade ...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
I was teaching a student the other day and her model 'dinged' her nail polish so that there was a lovely (not) dent in the middle of her middle fingernail.
The student was mortified thinking she'd have to start all over again with this nail by removing the polish etc etc. I simply showed her the trick I have been doing for YEARS of dipping my middle finger into Scrub Fresh, then firmly and quickly, stroking the surface of the polished nail to smooth out the bump. One more coat of colour or top coat and you could never tell.

She was amazed --- :eek: --- never seen this done before. One of the tricks of the trade we take for granted??

How many others can we 'oldies' or even newbies, come up with that will help others to learn some of the Tricks of the Trade that never get taught in a class? Get your thinking caps on and share some of yours.

This would be great!!!
When you say firmly and quickly stroking the surface...with what???

cherubs said:
This would be great!!!
When you say firmly and quickly stroking the surface...with what???
With my middle finger that has been dipped in Scrub Fresh (you can use remover too.)

Ah, so you don't dip the finger that's been smudged into scrubfresh, you dip another finger and then smooth onto the smudged nail?

cherubs said:
Ah, so you don't dip the finger that's been smudged into scrubfresh, you dip another finger and then smooth onto the smudged nail?

I simply showed her the trick I have been doing for YEARS of dipping my middle finger into Scrub Fresh, then firmly and quickly, stroking the surface of the polished nail to smooth out the bump. One more coat of colour or top coat and you could never tell.

It seems clear to me in my post. I dip MY finger into the scrubFresh and then stroke MY finger down the dented nail firmly and quickly (sometimes twice in rapid succession) to flatten the bump.

It takes a bit of practice:

The finger must be damp not dripping with remover otherwise you will make everything too sticky.

The pressure of your finger must be gently firm otherwise you will leave prints and remove the polish.. you only want to smooth it.

The strokes with your finger must be rapid for the same reasons as above.

Believe me when you get it right it works and you will use this technique many thousands of times

Get it now!!! confused as I was trying to imagine doing it on myself!!!
Thanks

Fab bit of advice there Gigi, thanks for that. It certainly will save me some time re polishing.

I do a similar thing where I soak a cotton bud in polish remover and let it sort of drip onto the dent & gently smooth over the dent then put another coat of colour over.
My other one is when my polish gets thick or near to the bottom I just fill with base coat to get it to last a bit longer.

pazzy said:
I do a similar thing where I soak a cotton bud in polish remover and let it sort of drip onto the dent & gently smooth over the dent then put another coat of colour over.
My other one is when my polish gets thick or near to the bottom I just fill with base coat to get it to last a bit longer.

Wait a minute .. if you are going to share secrets you have to do it so others can follow you.

Much quicker to loose the cotton bud thing and just do it with your finger.

2ndly your polish trick needs to be clear.
You do not "fill with base coat" you may add a few drops of base coat but you definitley do not fill with base coat or you would ruin your polish.

If you are going to help peeps with the tricks of the trade then be very specific how you teach them or you will cause problems for them.

Sorry I stand corrected....I wrote that a bit quick...yes I do pop in base coat but usually a clear base coat just too thin the polish a bit (as I carry my stuff in a bag it has a tendancy to go thick especially white for french).

In other words.

To loosen/thin your polish if it has gone a bit thick .. just add a few drops of Base Coat until it is the desired consistency for using.

Good trick and it works better than thinners .. thanks pazzy.

My lifesaver has been either Scrubfresh or Nailfresh to tidy up the smile line in a French polish. Thinking cap on:idea:

This is going to be a dumb question, but what is scrubfresh and nailfresh?
Do they do the same thing, but different names?

geeg said:
In other words.

To loosen/thin your polish if it has gone a bit thick .. just add a few drops of Base Coat until it is the desired consistency for using.

Good trick and it works better than thinners .. thanks pazzy.
Why does it work better than thinners??
More money wasted then!!! not long bought some thinners:rolleyes:

When painting nails have an orange stick with cottonwool wrapped around it and keep it in a bottle of polish remover to quickly mop up any mistakes...(I did learn that at college)
Ideal if your doing french on extremely short nails!!

Im not sure if everyone does this already!!

Urban Geek said:
My lifesaver has been either Scrubfresh or Nailfresh to tidy up the smile line in a French polish. Thinking cap on:idea:

Do you do this when its still wet or when dry?

elfprincessem said:
Do you do this when its still wet or when dry?
works fine for me wet or dry:)

pazzy said:
When painting nails have an orange stick with cottonwool wrapped around it and keep it in a bottle of polish remover to quickly mop up any mistakes...(I did learn that at college)

Im not sure if everyone does this already!!

I dont wrap cotton wool round it i just dip the orange stick in the remover ( no bits of dammned cotton getting on the nail that way)

After you have applied and prepped tips...use a cotton bud to scrub fresh the natural nail as this prevents the scrubfresh getting onto the tips and cracking....a folded lint free nail wipe will also do the job.

also, when painting a french, I take the brush first down the nail to make the french, do this on all nails, then go back to the begining and do another coat from side to side as i find this way you get right into the corners, does anyone else do it this way.

Latest posts

Back