they didnt ask me to fill on a consent form?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fab Freak

Reaction score
Today I went to a new beauty salon, as a new customer I expected to fill in a client record card...

When I booked the Therapist didnt ask for my contact number? which I thought was odd...anyway I went in for 1pm and they did my waxing she pre-cleansed, did a good job after asking me what I was acutally requiring and the result was fab...

But i just couldnt help but think why no card - they dont have any details on me they can send me any promotions....nor have they oblidge with the law...

I think this is a crying shame as I doubt I will return now...

PS for the record the therapist the saw me was not newly trained and she'd worked at the salon for over a year...

I wouldn't NOT return if you were happy with their work otherwise.

Why not help them to do the right thing and say, "I have never been to a salon before where they did not take my details. Wouldn't you like my details?"

i have been to salons before , and not been asked to fill in a record card !! i too thought it was a bit strange , but it must be quite the norm

there is a 'luxury' hotel and health spa near me (Hanbury Manor) and when i have been there for treatments (usually pressies!) i have NEVER been asked for any details. I have also been to small salons and again have NEVER been asked for details, let alone a client consultation. It appears, this is sadly quite common

Hi ya, this is definately extremely common as before i knew anything about nails i used to go to a salon regularly and never had to sign a record card or anything and so when i was training it was very new to me to hear about record cards - i do my own nails now but i wouldnt have stopped going there just because of that issue i would just mention it as to why they dont do it x

well it just goes to show how professional I am :D

and I will mention this next time, thanks all

Isnt it scary!!!!!!!!, you could have number of allergies etc and they woulnt know. As well as the important facts, a consultation is about getting to know your client. So dont skip it, its 5 minutes well spent.

I have lots of candidates in for their NVQ and they dont know what a client card is, let alone how to do a consultation. On the new standards, you must design your own card, and it must include, dr's details, contact lenses, medication and room for the client to sign a disclaimer to say that they have been offered eye protection and a dust mask! Just in case they decide to do you in the future!!!

It's the same way in the U.S. We hardly EVER do consultations before services! We were taught that way in school, but when you get out there working (especially in busy upscale salons/spas, it's just not standard procedure. We just go to work, get our schedule, and do our services. Of course we speak to the clients while prepping about expectations of the service, and most of the time if a client has allergies, they'll let you know (some common allergies are aloe, and formaldeyde). And if they are diabetic, they'll let you know as well immediately. We do however, get the clients adress, and e-mail for promotional reasons. But No my friends most of us techs on this side don't do consultations either. I think if it's strictly a NAIL ONLY salon, they do it. But spas, and full service salons don't have time for that. Just my observation. *wink*

I ask all of my new clients to come in 10 mins prior to their appointment time, so even if they have to fill in the card, at least i have time to read it and discuss it with them first. It makes a service more personal.

hi all

after reading this thread i am really not surprised. We had a client walk in the salon yesterday and she wanted her eyelashes tinting, she isn't an existing client so we advised her that she needed a tint test first (as required by insurance and common bloody sense), well she went off on one saying can we make an exception she has been having them done for 20 years with no problems and going away the next day! I still refused for her own good and she turned round on her stomp out of the salon saying she will go to the salon in town where they don't bother with skin test's or bloody nosy record cards! charmed i was not!
If we do a new colour client in the hair salon we insist on a skin test and a completed signed record card, hair and beauty! They may not like it but no test and no signed card = no service!
I have different cards for different treatments in the beauty salon and we insist they are filled in and signed!

chocolate said:
On the new standards, you must design your own card, and it must include, dr's details, contact lenses, medication and room for the client to sign a disclaimer to say that they have been offered eye protection and a dust mask! Just in case they decide to do you in the future!!!

Sorry Rachel, am I being stupid but what are contact lenses....I know what they are!!!!! :eek: but why do you need to know about them when you are performing a nail service??? Am I being totally duh!!!! LOL!!!

hi

when you are doing gel or L+P or any nail system they give off vapours, these can collect behind contact lenses so saftey glasses should be offered, or the lenses removed.

Little Angel said:
hi

when you are doing gel or L+P or any nail system they give off vapours, these can collect behind contact lenses so saftey glasses should be offered, or the lenses removed.

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for that.....they say you learn something new every day!!!! :biggrin:

Little Angel said:
hi all

after reading this thread i am really not surprised. We had a client walk in the salon yesterday and she wanted her eyelashes tinting, she isn't an existing client so we advised her that she needed a tint test first (as required by insurance and common bloody sense), well she went off on one saying can we make an exception she has been having them done for 20 years with no problems and going away the next day! I still refused for her own good and she turned round on her stomp out of the salon saying she will go to the salon in town where they don't bother with skin test's or bloody nosy record cards! charmed i was not!
If we do a new colour client in the hair salon we insist on a skin test and a completed signed record card, hair and beauty! They may not like it but no test and no signed card = no service!
I have different cards for different treatments in the beauty salon and we insist they are filled in and signed!

Tell ya wot.......this is soooo true!
I have quite a reputation in my area....I flatly refuse any treatments that require prior sensitivity testing! NO EXCEPTIONS!!!! I have noticed that its only the minority that kick up a stink about it!....on the whole most people feel everso reassured that Im thinking about THEIR health and safety!
Im am a little ole one man band....I would NOT compromise!!!!! :o

I have to say i was taught to use client cards and do a thorough client consultation before hand. All my clients have asked me why at first, but when i explain they then feel happier i've taken the time to do it.

I also am surprised that alot of salons don't do it as i thought this was needed to validate your insurance, or is it just nail techs this applies to?? I was told then that anyone havinf problems due to illness or allergies, if they hadn't given you details in their consultation then they have no come back, but if you don't ask in the first place and they sue you for what ever reason, then you aren't insured, have i got this right?

hi

OMG! i didnt know this .... twice recently I have had such sore eyes and had to leave my lenses out and wear my old fashioned glasses ... I guess I need to invest in some good goggles then.
Thanks ... you defo learn things on here :)
Jo xx

Contact lenses are a tech's nightmare! Its not only the vapours, if you accidently flick a tip, or even worse.......splash acetone, airbrush cleaner or resin you can melt the lense onto the eyeball, big legal case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gosh its just taken me ages to find this thread again lol

Now, I have just been and bought some protective eyewear .. one for me and one for client ... I wear contact lenses and have been having probs the last couple of weeks with a really sore right eye ... streaming and red and needed to wear my glasses for a few days. Can i wear my lenses with protective glasses over the top or should i wear my ordinary glasses and look a goon lol
Noone has ever mentioned this before and i am so glad that Nikki questioned it earlier.
I have aldo just purchased a new table, oooh its gorge :), with an extractor in it ... will this make things better?
Thanks for all help
Jo xx

For the nail technician; If you wear contact lenses or glasses you should speak to your optometrist regarding prescription safety eye wear that will offer side protection.

And everyone should have extra safety eyewear to offer their clients to protect them in case of accidental splash (though they may not choose to wear them).

The biggest concern lies primarily with the nail technician as their exposure levels are almost 100 times greater than an average client. Contact lenses can collect dust and vapour (dust being the biggest concern as it can scratch the eye). The biggest fear though lies in an accidental splash. If that happens, the contact lens could melt to the eye and create far more damage than if safety glasses were being worn.

Hope this helps ;)

Thankyou :) I will just have to look a goon in my new plastic safety eyewear then coz i need my eyes more :) I could get some big dierdre barlow specs lol
I have booked an appointment at opticians for next week so will ask about prescription ones. I will also add a bit on my client cards about being offered eyewear too.
Thanks again
Jo xx

Latest posts

Back