Thinking about becoming a vegetarian

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but they don't? I completely agree with you on the small beginnings bit, but like I said it's a big sacrifice which probably isn't going to get you very far. A large reason why farming animals for slaughter isn't as humane as it could be is because it's more expensive & people seldom want to pay more when they can buy cheap meat as demonstrated above, thus encouraging cheap, economic farming. The more that gets spent on the animals when alive, the more they cost when they are dead.

Yes but you can choose whether to support that or not. Regardless of what other people do, you can have a choice as to whether you buy mass produced meat.
I buy vegetables and real free range eggs from my local farm, little bit more expensive that Tesco, but much fresher, in season, fairer to the farmer and actually tastier. I do go to Tesco, but I'm very conscious of what I buy.

Maybe it's not going to get me very far but a cow who's been shot in the head, survived and having his legs chopped off while he's still conscious is not a taste I want to indulge in.

If people choose to eat meat that's their own choice...but I can't imagine eating that supermarket crap. Ethical buying may cost a little more which I understand in these times can be even harder..but it really is possible without a massive food bill.

Pink Swoon - actually our individual choice to not eat meat DOES make a difference. Currently somewhere between 7 and 11% of the UK consume vegetarian diets. That means there is a lower demand and so a lower amount of meat is supplied to the shops. Add to this all the people who use quorn to cook when for e.g. they are on slimming world or weight watcher diets and you have quite an impact on the meat industry.

Not having a dig - just pointing out that my one voice, your one voice and anyone else lone voice all count when we put them together :)

I would rather eat less meat but better quality than go veggie.I have no problem with eating animals.I wouldnt want to eat horse as I see them as pets,although I do eat rabbit,wild though I should hope.

Free range,organic meat is expensive but we don't need to eat meat everyday I like to add veggie dishes too.

I also think we should eat more veal in this country.
Male calves,born from the dairy industry,have no use anymore in this country because hardly anyone eats them,therefore they are killed or sent abroad where their standards of welfare are often a lot worse than ours.
We are not allowed to crate them and they also suffer from having to be exported in lorries.This is also something to think about if you still eat dairy and are not vegan.You are still going to be supporting something that ends up killing animals.

If we can eat free range,pref organic and british that's the best thing we can do.

Last edited:
Maybe if they stopped massively overbreeding then there wouldn't be so many unwanted male calves.
Maybe if we took a real hard look at social conditioning we might realise that just because horses are used for horse riding, racing etc...doesn't make them any different from a cow or a pig...and if you can't face eating a horse because you see them as a pet then I can't understand how you are happy to eat another sentient animal.
I respect others freedom of choice but it does sadden me.

Of course you have a choice, that is what I am saying. Ultimately, meat eaters should take more responsibility for the meat they eat. Like Gillian said, eating better quality meat would be better than none at all. Buying cheap meat devalues the industry, just like going to an NSS salon or an unqualified therapist devalues the beauty industry, NSS salons don't care about your nails as long as they are making a quick buck, neither do farmers rearing and selling cheap meat.

Of course you have a choice, that is what I am saying. Ultimately, meat eaters should take more responsibility for the meat they eat. Like Gillian said, eating better quality meat would be better than none at all. Buying cheap meat devalues the industry, just like going to an NSS salon or an unqualified therapist devalues the beauty industry, NSS salons don't care about your nails as long as they are making a quick buck, neither do farmers rearing and selling cheap meat.

Good argument.

Maybe if they stopped massively overbreeding then there wouldn't be so many unwanted male calves.
Maybe if we took a real hard look at social conditioning we might realise that just because horses are used for horse riding, racing etc...doesn't make them any different from a cow or a pig...and if you can't face eating a horse because you see them as a pet then I can't understand how you are happy to eat another sentient animal.
I respect others freedom of choice but it does sadden me.
Probably because I have ridden horses and feel sentimental about them and certainly in this country they are not bred for food which is why most british people would feel the same,its not part of our culture to eat horse anymore than we would eat dog or cat.
They breed all the cows for the dairy industry which is why I say its something to think about if animal welfare is the main concern with being veggie.Maybe vegan is the only true way.

I do agree that ethical choices in buying meat is far better than 4 for a tenner chicken legs.
But I much prefer not eating another animal and am much healthier for it.

Probably because I have ridden horses and feel sentimental about them and certainly in this country they are not bred for food which is why most british people would feel the same,its not part of our culture to eat horse anymore than we would eat dog or cat.

Yes but logically thinking...we are all animals.
Dog meat is common in China, which to most of us sounds absolutely disgusting and horribly cruel. My brother was living in China last year, he ate dog. Said he wanted to try it. I couldn't believe he would eat dog, but thinking about it there isn't a difference. Just that our culture sees them as pets. Be great if we viewed all animal the same.

Yes but logically thinking...we are all animals.
Dog meat is common in China, which to most of us sounds absolutely disgusting and horribly cruel. My brother was living in China last year, he ate dog. Said he wanted to try it. I couldn't believe he would eat dog, but thinking about it there isn't a difference. Just that our culture sees them as pets. Be great if we viewed all animal the same.

I much prefer to see animals for their individual, different attributes rather than all as a potential food source.

I think what needs to be said to is that some families can not afford to buy meat from butchers or farms that is a fact.If a family can go into tescos and buy a chicken for £5 to feed there children there going to rather than go to a butcher or farm and pay £8 for a chicken that £3 extra to some families is a lot of money do that twice a week that is £6 that they could be spending on other things.

I watched the Hugh programme and it was great it's cheeper to buy half a lamb than go to tescos and buy your lamb over time but for some families where the hell are you going to store half a lamb lol and where are you going to get the initial £30-60 for your half a lamb because some families live day to day and what they have for that day is it.

Anyway now I've got that off my chest lol I'm fussy with meat I don't eat mince,burgers,sausages.I don't buy steak and likes from tesco or asda or such likes because it lookes positively disgusting and no way fresh.

I eat veg till it comes out me ears I'm pretty much a vegi and if I don't eat meat for weeks I don't miss it at all.x

I was veggie as a teenager but converted back when like you I realised it made no difference to the world but our town now only has one butchers, the meat is far too expensive. It recently cost me £7.50 for two medium chicken breasts and they weren't organic! We have a van which comes in every Saturday which is more reasonably priced but I bought some stewing steak from him and t was disgusting. Really chewy and fatty so was false economy :( I may start just trailing it for a month xx

Have you looked in your area to see if there is any "farm shops" what sell fresh meat? There is one near me ( South Yorkshire ) were I can 20 large fresh chickens for £20 and also trays of chicken breast for £1.49 a tray! Really worth looking around xx

Well I just watched PETAs glass walls video and my mind is made up. I'm doing 30 days without meat :)

but they don't? I completely agree with you on the small beginnings bit, but like I said it's a big sacrifice which probably isn't going to get you very far.
It's really not a big sacrifice, when you consider the sacrifice that the animals are forced into. Don't want to be preachy, just my opinion. Also I agree with whoever said, imagine if we all thought like that. I've never once felt my choice to be vegan was a wasted choice or a losing battle.

Aside from the cruelty aspect, it's healthier and more environmentally friendly to be vegan/veggie.

Kaya Papaya listed some good resources. As much as I detest PETA now, their videos were one of the things that turned me veggie!

I also read a lot of food blogs when I first started, as I was struggling with what to eat (I started my own blog in the end). My favourite recipe book ever is Appetite for Reduction (full of easy, healthy and calorie counted recipes). Basically anything by Isa Chandra Moskowicz or Terry Hope Romero and you're onto a winner. They are vegan writers but you don't have to stick to that. They just have some great recipes, vegan or not.

I eat chicken. That's about it.
My reasons are I can't stand chewy foods. And I found meat to be the worst.
My mum and oh eat meat, but may as well call themselves vegetarians most of the time as I refuse to cook meat or have it in the house.
If you have been anaemic in the past you will probably fid you will be again. I eat a lot of iron rich foods, but the majority in veg isn't soluble so just passes through, and for someone who has difficulty absorbing it anyway they will find they will need suppliments.

There is a massive range of meat alternatives now, and gone are the days where people thought vegetarians only ate rabbit food. The quorn brand of mince is gorgeous, and has been used to fool someone who "would never touch that crap, how can anyone not eat meat?" Thinks like that. They thought I must have spent a fortune on mince haha.

Tesco has the quorn brand on offer at the minute and the mince is £1.50 for a family size bag(if your cooking for 3 half a bag will do)

As for your budget, its usually cheaper to eat meat free. And you would still save if you bought your oh and child meat and yourself quorn on a per meal ratio.

And I have to add. Try the peppered steaks (don't follow cooking guidelines, put in the microwave from frozen for 2 minutes) perfect with red potatoe mash and green beans xoxo

If you want something to remind you of how atrocious humankind is towards other living creatures watch this, but be warned it is upsetting. I have had to watch it in stages as it makes you want to go and give them a good smack !!!!

Earthlings // Feature | Earthlings.com

EARTHLINGS is a powerful and informative documentary about society’s treatment of animals, narrated by Joaquin Phoenix with soundtrack by Moby. This multi-award winning film by Nation Earth is a must-see for anyone who cares about animals or wishes to make the world a better place.

So due to yet another story about the meat in our super markets not being all it seems (horse meat found!!) I am now seriously considering becoming vegetarian! Problem is I really do love meat and have become anaemic several times. I really do not know where to start?!?!?
Also I have three children and a partner who also love meat, out budget is tight and I do the majority of the cooking so don't want to be doing seperate meals etc
Any advice on where to start? Good websites?

If this has spurred you on to become a vegetarian you need to be aware that even their veggie range has now been found to contain traces of uniQuorn and the barcodes look like they contain traces of Zebra! I was so appalled that I was planning on returning my burgers today but I checked in my fridge aaaaannnd they're off!

My best advice is to make sure you eat a stable diet, and don't go without meals furlong. Oh, and when using the self checkout tills, if they state "unexpected item in the bagging area" just look for a horse!

Good luck!

:)

If you have been anaemic in the past you will probably fid you will be again. I eat a lot of iron rich foods, but the majority in veg isn't soluble so just passes through, and for someone who has difficulty absorbing it anyway they will find they will need suppliments.
I was anemic when I ate meat and I was anemic afterwards too, mine was totally nothing to do with my diet, but this is a really good point. If you have trouble absorbing iron, then get it checked regularly. Vitamin C helps you absorb the iron, so a glass of juice with dinner can help or you might need to take a supplement.

Also, B12 levels should be monitored when you give up meat and if you are limiting your dairy too. My B12 is fine, probably because I eat so much nooch* and my soymilk/vitalite are both fortified.

I don't take any supplements and I'm fine. My anemia was under control last time I had a test (need to get that checked soon), because the doctor addressed the underlying issue.

The biggest hurdle with a big change in your diet is other people! I got sooo many people telling me I'm crazy and that my diet isn't healthy. I've never been one for preaching (I can't stand those sanctimonius types that give us a bad name), but wow do I ever get it from the other side! I've learnt to deal with it and most of my family and friends have accepted it now and don't give me too much crap about it anymore. They've seen that this choice has made me genuinely happy and healthy.

(*nooch is nutritional yeast - aka magical vegan pixie dust that I go through at a rate of knotts because it's powdered awesomeness!)

I was anemic when I ate meat and I was anemic afterwards too, mine was totally nothing to do with my diet, but this is a really good point. If you have trouble absorbing iron, then get it checked regularly. Vitamin C helps you absorb the iron, so a glass of juice with dinner can help or you might need to take a supplement.

Also, B12 levels should be monitored when you give up meat and if you are limiting your dairy too. My B12 is fine, probably because I eat so much nooch* and my soymilk/vitalite are both fortified.

I don't take any supplements and I'm fine. My anemia was under control last time I had a test (need to get that checked soon), because the doctor addressed the underlying issue.

The biggest hurdle with a big change in your diet is other people! I got sooo many people telling me I'm crazy and that my diet isn't healthy. I've never been one for preaching (I can't stand those sanctimonius types that give us a bad name), but wow do I ever get it from the other side! I've learnt to deal with it and most of my family and friends have accepted it now and don't give me too much crap about it anymore. They've seen that this choice has made me genuinely happy and healthy.

(*nooch is nutritional yeast - aka magical vegan pixie dust that I go through at a rate of knotts because it's powdered awesomeness!)

I absolutely hate soya milk. I can't stand it. Actually makes me feel sick! Are there any alternatives which aren't packed full of additives?

You are so right when you say about others not accepting the changes you are making. I had a head injury years ago which affected my sense of smell and taste. I lost both for a few years and when it finally returned it came back distorted. I could not stand the smell or taste of ANY meat. So I had no choice really, had to give it up ( along with Chocolate too :sad: ) Friends, family and even my GP were all really mean. I went to see my GP asking for an appointment with a dietitian as I was living on boiled pasta with a small bit of cheese grated over the top and couldn't bear the taste or smell of anything else, this was maybe 3 or 4 times a week, the rest of the time I just forgot to eat due to lack of appetite because I had no sense of smell to make me hungry,I knew it was unhealthy and needed help and advice as well as ideas on what else I might enjoy eating, the GP told me that an eating disorder was a personal choice and that he was not going to offer any support or refer me to anyone else. All trying to force me to eat "healthy" and meals out or family dinners were so uncomfortable. It makes you feel that you are being a pest for having different needs.

Finally all was resolved after about 5 years and eating meat again but every day I think about going Vegan or at least vegetarian, my main reason for not doing it is other people, I don't know if I can cope with their negativity at the moment but it is something I am seriously hoping to accomplish this year once I am back to normal.

Latest posts

Back