Thinking about becoming a vegetarian

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree its about being told what is in things so we have the choice.
Definitely. I mean when I watch the news and see everyone's freaking out about horse meat in their burgers I think well that's no worse than eating a cow to me. But the fact that the label doesn't tell people that they're eating 29% horse burger, that's bad.

People should be more aware of what they're putting in their bodies definitely, but they also shouldn't have to worry that they're being lied to.

Will you still be colouring people's hair with loreal colours during this period?
That's a bit unfair. The transition sometimes takes a while and might not be something that the OP wants to carry into her business.

Every little thing helps. But I made a choice for my business to be cruelty free but I can't keep up with all the companies that are now owned by L'Oreal or have started selling in China so there are still some MAC etc products in my make up kit. I can't afford to be throwing that stuff away yet so I'm replacing it with cruelty free stuff as I need to.

That's a bit unfair. The transition sometimes takes a while and might not be something that the OP wants to carry into her business.

Every little thing helps. But I made a choice for my business to be cruelty free but I can't keep up with all the companies that are now owned by L'Oreal or have started selling in China so there are still some MAC etc products in my make up kit. I can't afford to be throwing that stuff away yet so I'm replacing it with cruelty free stuff as I need to.

Not really... Have you got a leather sofa? Leather shows? Belts? Handbags? Do you use cruelty free glue/adhesives?

Not really... Have you got a leather sofa? Leather shows? Belts? Handbags? Do you use cruelty free glue/adhesives?
Well I can't speak for the OP on that one, but I am vegan so no, I don't buy leather and yes I use cruelty free glue etc.

When I first went vegetarian I still had stuff that I had bought before I made the change, some of those items I still have.

Like I said, it sometimes takes time to transition fully and this thread is about getting started on / trialling out that road.

Edit: just to say I'm not having a go at you, but the reason I said something is that (as a couple of others have mentioned), it can be quite difficult to deal with the negativity of others when you make a big lifestyle change like this. Calling people out on things like that just isn't very helpful.

Oat milk is ok. But it is trial and error. Some of the other alpro milks even are gross! My boss buys me the regular organic one sometimes and it's horrible. But it's the only one the nearest shop sells (I normally bring my own in) The Sainsbury's unsweetened one (fresh in the fridge) is pretty good too.

When I first went vegan I was merrily drinking the chocolate Oatly and loving it, then I was informed it had vitamin D3 in (which comes from sheep's wool) so I stopped! :(

But Alpro chocolate milk is pretty great.

I'm curious ,can I just ask you why this put you off ?

Well I can't speak for the OP on that one, but I am vegan so no, I don't buy leather and yes I use cruelty free glue etc.

When I first went vegetarian I still had stuff that I had bought before I made the change, some of those items I still have.

Like I said, it sometimes takes time to transition fully and this thread is about getting started on / trialling out that road.

Edit: just to say I'm not having a go at you, but the reason I said something is that (as a couple of others have mentioned), it can be quite difficult to deal with the negativity of others when you make a big lifestyle change like this. Calling people out on things like that just isn't very helpful.

No and I wasn't having a go at you either, I'm not brilliant at getting my point across on here properly :(

I'm curious ,can I just ask you why this put you off ?
I'm vegan, so I don't have any animal products and vitamin D3 comes from an animal. The main annoying thing about this is that SO many breakfast cereals have D3 added. It think it's because it's cheaper than using D2.

I could never give up meat, but I do like Quorn and always have free range everything ;)

I could never give up meat, but I do like Quorn and always have free range everything ;)

Just to put another spanner in the works. Free Range does not necessarily mean cruelty free, I have a flock of hens that I rescued over the years from Battery hen farms. I also have some hens rescued from Free Range egg farms and those poor hens were in as bad a condition as the battery hen farm girls were. They are still kept in appalling conditions, it would make you sick to see. Animal farming is NOT a cruelty free industry.

My hens live partly free range as they are only let out of their secure house at about 11 am and then take themselves off to bed at night. We lock them away every night so the foxes cant get to them and they cant get stolen..... yes there are sickos out there stealing pet chickens for the pot. Hens bred for the egg industry are not good for eating as they do not have enough meat on them and they are quite tough. Meaning that they have been stolen, traumatised, murdered and then cooked for nothing.
Free range animals are still fed on rubbish cheap food and dosed up with loads of antibiotics etc. Sainsburys and M&S are the two strictest suprmarkets as far as animal health and welfare goes from suppliers, even then packaging factories don't stick to the rules and regulations and the inspections are a joke. ( I worked in a bacon factory years ago in Quality Control so I know how they fudge the paperwork)

if you're a vegetarian can you still eat black pudding?

if you're a vegetarian can you still eat black pudding?

No because it contains Pigs blood and pig fat lol it's basically got animal in it lol vegitarians don't eat animals.

No because it contains Pigs blood and pig fat lol it's basically got animal in it lol vegitarians don't eat animals.

they're not allowed use pigs blood anymore in commerical black pudding anyways... they use a synthetic version.

No leather anything thankyou. And yes since I need to feed my children so need a job I will be using l'oreal.
I use cruelty free cleaning products, always have. I do not drive a car. My carbon door print is very low.
Blue. I used to rant like you when my own guilt at eating animals got me on the defensive ..you still bankrolling Uni lever by telling clients TIGI is cruelty free as a sale tactic? Whilst knowing Unilever, who openly test on animals owns TIGI and that they are beeswax based?
Dont answer that actually, this was a loving thread about my changing lifestyle choice. I did not ask for you to attack my choice so unless you have any advice on going veggie, like I originally asked, then why are you even bringing that negativity here?

No leather anything thankyou. And yes since I need to feed my children so need a job I will be using l'oreal.
I use cruelty free cleaning products, always have. I do not drive a car. My carbon door print is very low.
Blue. I used to rant like you when my own guilt at eating animals got me on the defensive ..you still bankrolling Uni lever by telling clients TIGI is cruelty free as a sale tactic? Whilst knowing Unilever, who openly test on animals owns TIGI and that they are beeswax based?
Dont answer that actually, this was a loving thread about my changing lifestyle choice. I did not ask for you to attack my choice so unless you have any advice on going veggie, like I originally asked, then why are you even bringing that negativity here?

Who's ranting? I'm pointing out valid points and questions. If you read it that I'm ranting that's come from yourself, yes I'm filling unilevers pockets like your filling loreals. But I don't tell my clients it's not tested on animals.
Just check the back of wine gums ;) you'll get a shock!
I actually quite enjoy eating meat, it was put on this earth to be part of the circle of life :)

they're not allowed use pigs blood anymore in commerical black pudding anyways... they use a synthetic version.

ohhhh i thought that was just a myth, i thought it was some sort of cake :lol: i love black pudding! but i have been thinking of becoming a veggie for ages because when i eat meat and it has tubes in it or blood spots or stringy bits it makes me feel sick! urggghhh and the blood blob in egg! YUK!!! :eek:

Lets try and keep the thread positive and with advice for the OP as she asked for. I for one like reading about other people's choices of milk etc as that is something I've been looking to change myself.

To be honest, being vegetarian and buying ethically will ALWAYS garner a response, a lot of the time a negative one. For some reason people will always feel the need to pick holes and try and win one over because you once had. Bottle of Loreal shampoo or bought something in the Body Shop or you can't recite every single animal derivative.
The main thing to focus on is the individual choice. Not all vegetarians are veggie because of an animal cruelty thing, sometimes it's a political choice.

Anyway, I think someone starting on the road to a more humane life should be encouraged, not every single choice in life is black and white but doing your best and trying to buy ethically is brilliant.

Tanfastic made a very valid point on the hens...free range means nothing so if you have a local farm shop try buying there.

JenBella I wish I could heart on my phone because you said everything I wanted to say.

Oh and black pudding still not veggie - it has lumps of lard in doesn't it?

Oh god I don't know how anyone ever ate black pudding..those little gristly lumps and the blood....uggggggh!

Cutting out dairy is something I'm looking at, I've heard people with psoriasis having a great response to stopping dairy. I need a substitute but hated soy milk, I thought almond or coconut milk would probably be really fattening.

I was a veggie for 3 years ( slap my wrist I went back to meat ) but what i did notice when I was veggie that people used to ask me 'well what to you have instead of meat '

Now that was a valid question but what it did bring home to me is the way we think about food . WHY did I have to have anything instead of meat ?

I used to eat things like cauiliflower cheese with roast potatoes and people though that was odd because we are sort of conditioned to think 'meat and two veg' and feel that if we are not eating meat it HAS to be replaced by something

When I went to friends for 'sunday lunch' I would have everything apart from the meat and I got used to NOT thinking about the meat . I am not really explaining that very well but I hope you get my drift

Good luck to you

Lets try and keep the thread positive and with advice for the OP as she asked for. I for one like reading about other people's choices of milk etc as that is something I've been looking to change myself.

To be honest, being vegetarian and buying ethically will ALWAYS garner a response, a lot of the time a negative one. For some reason people will always feel the need to pick holes and try and win one over because you once had. Bottle of Loreal shampoo or bought something in the Body Shop or you can't recite every single animal derivative.
The main thing to focus on is the individual choice. Not all vegetarians are veggie because of an animal cruelty thing, sometimes it's a political choice.

Anyway, I think someone starting on the road to a more humane life should be encouraged, not every single choice in life is black and white but doing your best and trying to buy ethically is brilliant.

Tanfastic made a very valid point on the hens...free range means nothing so if you have a local farm shop try buying there.

There was no need for anyone to try and make this a debate. It's not a debate. I've never claimed to be perfect or to have never worn leather or eaten Haribo not can I guarantee that whilst I am adopting this new lifestyle things won't fall through the net. Although I am fully aware that some Jelly sweets and even wines are no longer going to be on my yes list :-(

On the political note its interesting that I have just done my weekly shop. Loads of veg and lentils etc and it cost me £20 more tgen usual! It's disgusting that healthy food is more expensive tgen processed :(

Latest posts

Back