This Morning and Fake Tan - Tune In !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tina67

Reaction score
Apparently there is a feature on This Morning at 11.15 today on fake tan, any sprayers out there might want to tune in to see what they say about the so called 'dangers' recently reported.

This'll be interesting...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

:o shocking! Drives me insane that they list all the problems it may cause and make tanning sound deathly and he just says at the end- no research has been done just scientists stating this may happen!! What is the point of causing the worry and hassle if there is no research to back up their claims. Stupid people!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If its going to be any thing like the hair extensions, it will be a pointless watch, they'll interview some one that had a 'bad experience' with a spray tan, and when you listen to their interview you will realise its their fault! Lol, with the hair extensions the woman had a bold patch, turned out it was her fault for ripping extensions out rather than using the proper equipment. Pointless
Our media waste too much time trying to warn the public off things!

What was the point in that? No research so no proof these ingredients are harmful. Scaremongering again!!

It's all over the news at the moment, in the papers as well. The press like to do this with everything, right now is spray tanning's turn!

We wrote this article to try to address some of the current concerns/ accusations, because undoubtedly some clients will be hearing this bad press and asking questions: How to address spray tan cancer concerns

It's all over the news at the moment, in the papers as well. The press like to do this with everything, right now is spray tanning's turn!

We wrote this article to try to address some of the current concerns/ accusations, because undoubtedly some clients will be hearing this bad press and asking questions: How to address spray tan cancer concerns

Why do tanning companies offer over 14% dha if it doesn't work though? If you say skin only takes up to 12% how do I go darker with a higher % than 12? I was never told any of that in my training. What I have read from your link is that any company that sells 14,16,18 & 20% tans are not legit so to speak and they are only selling the higher % solution to make money.

So if I'm using 14 & 18 I'm putting myself and clients at risk?

Surely tanning companies in the uk wouldn't be allowed to retail products that are potentially dangerous. Or am I being totally thick

You will find that the press will always pick holes in everything and try and find negatives whether it be spray or uv tanning barbecued meat or anything else.

A glass of red wine is good for you and yet a bottle not so.
Uv light is used in a lot of light therapies yet grilling on a sunbed isn't healthy.

As usual it's the way we treat and respect things and I guess spray tan is no exception. Why do people want to look orange or unnaturally black? Why do they choose a cheap tan for the cost of quality and safe ingredients?

If you are sensible with things in life then you can enjoy a bit of sun, grilled meat, wine and everything else ;0)

Please can you clarify what you mean about anything over a 14% being a no go? I use an organic brand that is very favoured on here, and before that I used a market leader. I wouldn't say either are a cheap brand by any stretch and they both sell tanning solutions over 14% Thank you :confused:

Please can you clarify what you mean about anything over a 14% being a no go? I use an organic brand that is very favoured on here, and before that I used a market leader. I wouldn't say either are a cheap brand by any stretch and they both sell tanning solutions over 14% Thank you :confused:

I asked the same question earlier and didn't get a response. I did my research and 14% and over is fine for spray tanning. Over 14% cannot be used in spray tanning booths so I think they may have their wires crossed.

Spray tanning over 14% is fine as your not in an enclosed booth with the overspray. I got worried myself when I read the info they had posted but had done my research and it only applies to tanning booths. So until someone comes out and says no to using 14% and over in spray tans I will continue to do so.

Hi All,

We are preparing a detailed answer to all the questions raised in this thread.

You may be interested to note that Vita Liberata have this afternoon removed all references to their competitors on their website re their so called Toxic List.

What are the nasties I am looking for in my solutions? I have the ingredient lists from my solutions. Could someone pm me the solutions which supposed to be bad :(. Thank you x

Hi Nails! Sorry for my late response. "Why do tanning companies offer over 14% dha if it doesn't work though? " - to make more money. The trend right now is darker, darker, darker. Tell people you have something darker than the next company, and people will buy it.

Yes, the SCCS does clearly state that 14% is the maximum it recommends. No, it does not say it's dangerous, and I personally would never go as far as to say it was either as I don't believe DHA to be dangerous in any capacity. But I do believe it to be ineffective in higher doses, because I've spoken to enough cosmetic chemists about the issue in great depth and believe that they know what they're talking about!

Hi Lissy! The nasties mentioned in the Daily Mail article were rather extreme, and I'm not personally aware of any brands that contain them except for the parabens. They were:

Ammonium Laureth/Lauryl Sulphate
Aspertame
Benzophenone-3
Bronopol
Cocamide DEA
Diazolidinyl urea
Diethanolamine
Dihydroxyacetone
DMDM hydantoin
Imidazolidinyl
Lanolin
Methanal
Methylcloroisothiazolinone (whoa, that took a while to type)
Methylisothiazolinone (Kathon CG)
Mineral oil (???)
Oleth emulsifier
Oxybenzone
Padimate-0 (octyl dimethyl)
Phenylenediamines
Pnetyl, propyl, butyl and ethyl paraben (basically anything with "paraben" in - this is why we just make everything we do paraben-free, and I know some other brands do too)
Polyethyene glycol
Propylene glycol
Quaternium 15
Sodium laureth
Sodium lauryl sulphate
Steraralkonium chloride
Sulphur dioxide
Talc (can be contiminated with asbestos) - seems an odd one. Would any tanning solution really contain talc?
Triclosan
Triethanolamine (TEA)

Sorry for any typos! Not the easiest words to type out.

Hi Nails! Sorry for my late response. "Why do tanning companies offer over 14% dha if it doesn't work though? " - to make more money. The trend right now is darker, darker, darker. Tell people you have something darker than the next company, and people will buy it.

Yes, the SCCS does clearly state that 14% is the maximum it recommends. No, it does not say it's dangerous, and I personally would never go as far as to say it was either as I don't believe DHA to be dangerous in any capacity. But I do believe it to be ineffective in higher doses, because I've spoken to enough cosmetic chemists about the issue in great depth and believe that they know what they're talking about!

The SCCS said that no higher than 14% should be used in enclosed tanning booths, not gun and tent spray tanning. If it is ineffective why do I and my clients go darker with over 14% If it doesn't work?

I take "enclosed tanning booth" to mean spray tan tents also. I imagine their concern is more to do with excessive amounts of chemical being put onto people's skins as opposed to what equipment is being used. For self-tan products, I think they go as low as recommending only up to 10%?

It probably has a very dark guide colour and to some extent dyes the skin. There's got to be some other factor in play besides the DHA. How do you find the fade-off?

I take "enclosed tanning booth" to mean spray tan tents also. I imagine their concern is more to do with excessive amounts of chemical being put onto people's skins as opposed to what equipment is being used. For self-tan products, I think they go as low as recommending only up to 10%?

It probably has a very dark guide colour and to some extent dyes the skin. There's got to be some other factor in play besides the DHA. How do you find the fade-off?

But they are not referring to tanning tents, They are referring to enclosed spray tanning booths. There is a difference between both.

The fade off is fine, I use la tan and have had no problems at all with higher %.

Ok. You can interpret it as you like. I just personally read it self tan products not beyond 10%, spray tan products not above 14%. Just because they do not mention spray tan tents specifically (they were probably too scared of getting sued by Sienna who may claim to own a patent on the word (that's a joke)), I very much doubt it's because they consider solution used inside a spray tan tent to be somehow different or exempt.

If you're happy with your high DHA solutions, and your clients are fully informed and also happy with this, then that's wonderful - carry on. Every time this topic comes up, a few people will appear, extolling the virtues of their 20% tanning solution. It flies in the face of science but hey, if you've tested them alongside other products and you're convinced that they give a darker tan (a real tan, not a dye) of the exact same quality, I'm not going to argue :)

Latest posts

Back