Threading

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morag909

Reaction score
Hello :) Just wondering what everyone's views on threading is? It seems to be becoming increasingly more popular now. Alot of my client's have mentioned it and some have even had it done and preferred it to waxing. I had it done when on holiday and found it more painful and more time consuming than waxing, but then on the plus it maybe better for a more senstive skin? Does anyone know of any courses to train in threading? Just out of curiosity! I love learning new treatments, although i don't know if i'd be able to master that! :eek:

I dont mind threading, its a good alternative to waxing, good for sensitive skins, acne, etc.
It takes me longer to thread eyebrows than wax them, & because of the location where I work (East London) I only charge £3.50 for an eyebrow thread, there is a new salon just opened up 1 minute away charging £2!
Whereas an eyebrow wax for me is £4.50 & a lot quicker!
I think its good to learn current beauty trends to keep up to date with things.
I am not sure of anywhere in Scotland that teaches threading, but there are bound to be many. Maybe try googling "threading in Scotland" and see what comes up, might give you an idea on what other salons in your area charge as well.
Hopefully you should be able to charge a lot more in your area!
Trust me you will be able to master it, I thought the same, it is easier than its looks, & as the all saying goes "practise makes perfect!"
Hope that helps
xxx

Over here threading tried to go through a minor revival in the 90s but quickly fizzled out and never took off commercially. Unlike the UK, you would be hard pressed to find any threading in modern salons here as it is not viewed to be on par with modern techniques and materials. I know that threading is practised culturally (grew up with it as my Lebanese neighbours would do it in their kitchen along with sugaring..and still do!) but, again, most people prefer to have a cleaner, less painful job done via waxing and plucking.

I view threading in today's modern salon as a gimmick.

I dont mind threading, its a good alternative to waxing, good for sensitive skins, acne, etc.
It takes me longer to thread eyebrows than wax them, & because of the location where I work (East London) I only charge £3.50 for an eyebrow thread, there is a new salon just opened up 1 minute away charging £2!
Whereas an eyebrow wax for me is £4.50 & a lot quicker!
I think its good to learn current beauty trends to keep up to date with things.
I am not sure of anywhere in Scotland that teaches threading, but there are bound to be many. Maybe try googling "threading in Scotland" and see what comes up, might give you an idea on what other salons in your area charge as well.
Hopefully you should be able to charge a lot more in your area!
Trust me you will be able to master it, I thought the same, it is easier than its looks, & as the all saying goes "practise makes perfect!"
Hope that helps
xxx

that is really cheap, salons in my town are charging between £10 and £15 for an eyebrow thread. im doing a threading course in 2 weeks and im not sure about charging that amount for threading as i find that myself too dear but ill need to see how quick i am, but i know for def i won't be charging more than £10, that is crazy. xxx

I know beautyw, i wish I could charge more, but I am probably the dearest for threading in my area!!
When I did my threading course they recommended to charge £10-£15!
I would suggest as a guide to charge the sameish as your eyebrow wax, (or your local competition) threading only really costs you your time, I have been doing threading since March 2009 & I am just coming to the end of my 1st real of cotton, & on avarage I would say I do 10 eyebrow threads a week, so the cotton lasts for ages!
xxx

Nobody can convince me that threading has any benefits over waxing. It takes longer and clients who've had it done all say that it hurts more. I just don't get it and I think it's just a trend. I took a course in it but I'll continue to wax and tweeze.

OMG, Emma, £3.5?! I charge £11 and there are places where they charge £15.
It's very popular and think I would just give up if I was to charge that. It's my bread and butter.
You can never get the same shape with waxing/tweezing. When my clients come out, their eyebrows are so perfect, they almost looked tatooed. I've been doing it for 5 years and only in the past 2 years I can say something clicked and became confident to get closer to the eyebrow.

On the other hand, I can admit I'm so rubbish at waxing them -I havent done it in so long, I'm dreading it when a client wants them waxed! :D

xxx July

I agree with Kim and Velveteen, this is just a trend that will disappear as quickly as it appeared. There are no real long term advantages and as someone who has been in the industry for a long, long time I have seen this around before for a short while.

We need to be careful of these trendy treatments appearing that are driven by people selling us courses. I wait now to see if something is actually going to catch on a bit before committing my hard cash! :D

Uh oh...I kind of swear by threading?! :o (remember this is coming from the beauty couch not the therapist) I had my eyebrows waxed by the most wonderful therapist at the salon I used to go to in America. In fact I absolutely refused to go to anyone else for a wax, until I tried a brow bar. It hurts, yes, but I think it's comparable to waxing. The reason I converted is because when I get my brows waxed I have to plan ahead what I am doing for the next 12-24 hours, otherwise I get some very funny looks. I get very swollen and extremely red. Threading about 5 minutes and by the time I had walked back to my car all I had were stunning, perfectly shaped brows, no swelling, no redness. I was gobsmacked and kept staring at them all day long.

I want Kim L. to give me a wax, and then I can really make a comparison, but until then, I'm sticking with threading. :D

I know its cheap July, but its either do it for that price or loose my clients to one of my local competitors!!:sad:
If I was in a different area I would be able to charge more.
I personally prefere waxing, but everyone is different! xx

very interesting thread fellow geeks :D
not trying to hijack the thread but just to refer back to start of the thread, can anyone recommend a course for this? im also getting interested in this so might like to learn.

Hi, do a search on your area for threading courses.
Or alternatively travel to Bristol and I'll show you lol.
I did look into teaching but you need that assesor diploma abdnit just seems so complicated. I just love doing eyebrows! I've trained my therapist and the actual technique to show takes about 30min, rest is practice.
HTH
July

Morag909 - where in Scotland are you?

Dundee Academy of Beauty offer a threading course - Welcome to aesthetique.org.uk - Go to Beauty training in the column on the left & choose threading.

I've been thinking for a while about doing this, but like others i'm thinking it's a bit of a fad, so am going to wait to see it it tails of & becomes less populer before i decided to go for it or not.

Hi,

The Scottish Beauty School in Glasgow does a Threading Course :)

Think they also accept ILA. x x

Thanks for everyones replies!! Interesting to read everyone's views on threading :) I can't believe how cheap you can get them done for! But i suppose there's different price ranges all over the country. I think there is only one salon in the town i work in that offers threading, so my client's have seen and had it done in the shopping centres where it has become popular. They have said it costs from 15 to 20 pounds though!! wow!! I'm in Angus so the Dundee course would be ideal thanks :) Will have a nosey on the site, would think the course would be pretty expensive though!! We'l see :o

There's 3 or 4 places in Dundee that i know of that now offer threading, 2 are asian fabric shops who offer beauty threatments on the side, one is the brow bar in the shopping center (Overgate) who charge a bloody fortune as they have to cover rent of the space which i hear is astronomical & lastly Debenhams (in the overgate) is opening up a threading bar.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do morag! xx

I agree with Kim and Velveteen, this is just a trend that will disappear as quickly as it appeared. There are no real long term advantages and as someone who has been in the industry for a long, long time I have seen this around before for a short while.

We need to be careful of these trendy treatments appearing that are driven by people selling us courses. I wait now to see if something is actually going to catch on a bit before committing my hard cash! :D

There is no easy way of saying this, but yourself and Kim really need to be more educated on the subject before comment.

Threading actually spirals the hair from the follicle (this is in effect damaging it more, far more than simple waxing) the twisting process is simple and evident to the eye.

This is what slows down regrowth more than other methods, over a period of treatments.

Simple

Su x

In my view, if I may, agree with most of the comments here. It does have have ethnic cultural roots, and for that it is likely to remain a staple system of hair removal for many.
Also, there have been many more who, since being converted, swear by it.
However it's not for everyone, and some have been known to have histamine reactions, have had bad experiences by a poorly skilled threader ie. by cutting the skin etc or simply do not have the patiance for it, as it tends to take longer to do than waxing.

from a business point of view, the only outlay is a babtac accredited course and some anti-bacterial threading cotton.
However the market is getting saturated, and this is driving the prices down to a few quid. You have to think about the simple maths -
If it takes upto 15 mins to do a set of eyebrows and you can only charge no more than, say £4 for it, is it worth it?
Then for those who are able to charge upto £15, how many clients are you getting per hour? More than those who are charging £4? therefore, from your day's work, how much are you making on average per hour?

if you are one of the lucky ones who has a non stop clientelle and achieving around £15 for a set of eyebrows, you are in there!

Everyone else, I only hope you're doing it out love..x

Latest posts

Back